FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I appologize in advance if this topic has been covered but I'm a newbie to the PS90 and this forum. I'm looking to buy a new PS90 and I checked out the rifle (OEM sight model) for the first time the other day. I'm torn whether to get a standard model or one with the tri rail. I've been informed that the tri rail system doesn't come with the factory sighting system; is this true? Next, the top tri rail looks like it is mounted pretty high on the rifle. Are you able to have a good cheek weld to the rifle's stock while shooting or do you have to raise your line of sight up to view an optical device like an EOtech? I appreciate any advice or information you can give me on the subject so I purchase the correct rifle! Thanks much!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Call me old fashioned but I like the design that has been around since its first conception. I would steer away from the TR model.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
The triple rail sits lower than the regular PS90 with an optic rail added on. But I still like the ragular version better.

1, you get built in back up sights with the standard model. And 2, I don't like those tiny side rails on the triple rail. Granted, Magazine Parts does have a replacement side rail for the tri-rail PS90, but t is still very small. I'd rather have the longer side rails mounted on the standard PS90.

Just my 2 cents.

When I bought mine and the tri rail came out 1 month later, I was kinda sorry I hadn't waited. But after having my PS90 for a while now, and having experience with it - I'd rather just have the standard model, personally.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
ShipWreck said:
2, I don't like those tiny side rails on the triple rail. Granted, Magazine Parts does have a replacement side rail for the tri-rail PS90, but t is still very small. I'd rather have the longer side rails mounted on the standard PS90.
+1

I have both the Tri-Rail and USG version and I hate the tiny rail on the side of the TR. Since there is only one slot on the rail you have to mount lights on very slowly otherwise they will just slide off when you try....I can only mount my Insight TLR on it because it mounts on a little differently than the others.

Another things to think about. You can always convert a standard sight model into a Tri-Rail(by adding a top rail) but you can not convert a Tri-Rail into the factory sight model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't notice it when I was handling the rifle at the gun dealer, but does the standard model come drilled and tapped for a top rail? Again, pardon my lack of knowledge, but does anyone manufacture a bolt-on replacement for the OEM sight? I can't thank you guys enough for the imput and for not flamming me either! I just want to avoid making a $1,700 mistake!

·
Registered
329 Posts
From what I can tell, you buy an optic rail to replace the stock sight. I have read that the rail is attached to the gun where the stock sight attached. So, the holes are already there I think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a TR. I want to get an Aimpoint Micro for it when they become available. In the interim, I use my EOtech 551. It's a little high, think jaw weld vs. cheek weld. The Micro should be just fine.

The TR sits lower than the regular with a rail - even the lowest rail. So an EOtech on the regular is going to be a chin weld.

I think you can decide on which to buy by deciding on the optic. That's what I did. I did not like the standard optic nor the USSS and wanted flexability in what optic to mount.

·
Registered
121 Posts
THe majority of the P90s you see in service are the TR model from what I have seen. The stock sight is just flat out bad. A rifle this advanced should not come witht hat stock sight. If you really want the same sight widow then you need to get the USS sight model called the PS90- USG. CDNN has them for 1700 right now and this is the secret service sight. Its a black reticle instead of white and if you dig on the net you can find some comparisons. Its quite shocking.

Still though, for the long run I think the TR is the way to go. No matter what new optics come out you will always have access to them with a lower mount profile. Thats most likely why 4 out of 5 pics or vids you see on the net of the P90 in service/action its with an after market scope on top. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to spend additional money on optics and get the exact sight you want.

Also I have found that when shooting the PS90 with an after market sight you hold it a little different. You don't really "shoulder" this weapon anyway. Not in QBC you wouldn't its not how it was designed. You hold it a little lower, at least I do.

If you have yoru heart set on getting a sight with the firearm, then don't make the mistake of buying the standard model. Get the USG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts