FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this under the "Chambering Rounds from the Magazine in the FS2000" thread but never got any responses so I thought I'd post it as its own thread in hopes of getting some thoughts from those with more experience. ---- I have inserted fully loaded magazines on both an open and closed bolt with no problems but I did have one interesting thing happen: Load magazine. Charge. Shoulder. Select to "1". Aim. Squeeze. BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG. Click! Huh? Go safe. Open inspection port. Looks OK. Lock charging handle back. No round chambered. Look in at magazine. That looks odd. Round partially stripped. Remove magazine. Round is partially stripped. Lip of left side cartridge caught on the forward metal of the magazine. Bolt must have jumped over the cartridge when it jammed and finished closing. Bullet is jammed half way into the throat of the cartridge. Popped the nose of the cartridge up and stripped it out by hand. Inspected the magazine and noticed that the metal halves were not quite lined up. The left half was lapped up about .040 over the right half, just enough to catch the cartridge. Took my grinder and evened them up. No further problems with that magazine. Using XM855 with a stainless steel C-Products (original, not Defense) magazine. A week or so later, happened again. One left hand side round jammed with the bullet pushed half way into the throat of the casing. 1 round out of 120 (4 different magazines I shot that day). 55 grain XM193 in a C Products Defense aluminum magazine. No obvious lap on the front of the two halves. The cartridge was more than half way out of the magazine when I pulled the magazine. Seems like this one just failed to climb the ramp. It was about 6 or 8 shots into the magazine. Looking at other AR15 style magazines I note that many have much deeper relief in the front than the C Products magazines. Probably would have prevented the first instance but not the second. Anyone else experiencing these left side half feeds? Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What magazines do you use? C Products came highly recommended to me as a magazine well suited to the FS2000. So far, only 2 out of around 500 rounds fired but both left hand side feeds. 0.4% failure isn't much to measure but makes you wonder. Other than that, no problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What magazines do you use? C Products came highly recommended to me as a magazine well suited to the FS2000. So far, only 2 out of around 500 rounds fired but both left hand side feeds. 0.4% failure isn't much to measure but makes you wonder. Other than that, no problems.
SAME PROBLEM, but more than 0.4%, more like 10% lately.

PROBLEM SOLVED. IT WAS THE MAGAZINES. I had a great afternoon with the rifle today 10/9/13 and it cycled everything I gave it. I guess it's just a matter of testing your magazines. It can cycle xm855 and m193 of course, but it does just as well if not better with slower powder pushing heavier bullets. This could be a great self defense rifle for someone who loads/shoots 75 and 77 grain bullets. It does well with Reloder 15 and Vihtavuori N140 and N135 and 77 grain SMK's, Noslers and Scenars. It also loved Hornady "Superperformance Match" 5.56 75 grain. Using heavy bullets brings any .223/5.56 up a notch. Great versatility.

Like everybody told me, it's the magazines.

Hi. New to this Forum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
SAME PROBLEM, but more than 0.4%, more like 10% lately.

Hi. New to this Forum.

Got my FS2000 in the panic last December. Went to buy a Colt HBar that was already sold and bought the FS b/c it was there, the last 5.56/.223 in the shop. This was my first FN and not usually my kind of gun, but have since bought their Five seveN. I shoot high power Service Rifle and load thousands of rounds of 223 a year using an RRA lower and WOA upper. I'm back and forth on the FS2000. At first, I did not like the gun. Then I did . Now I'm unsure.

I do not think it's the magazines. I am experiencing the same condition, failure to eject, an empty case and a round jammed in the action that has to be cleared by separating the upper from the lower. The only magazines that do not experience this kind of misfeed/jam are 20 round GI Simmons/Universal Industries magazines. My aluminum Colt 30 rounders and FN 10 round mag all jam. It happens sometimes, but not always, usually when load testing from the bench (I do not let the magazines ground out) but also sometimes shooting off hand. It does not seem to mater what kind of ammo I use, XM855, M193, Mk262 handloads. There does not seem to be any kind of pattern. My Match AR's cycle just fine with all my magazines. It's ironic that I have the FN as my household and family defense rifle and my match AR-15's sitting in my locker at the club. The AR's shoot every kind of ammo through every magazine, whether clean or dirty, hot or mild and with a 77SMK over 24.2 RL15, <.7 MOA. The FS is supposed to be some kind of battle-ready gun.

I am going to send mine in to FN and see what they can do. If the problem persists, I am going to sell it and try something else.
It's the magazines you're using. I weapon does not like Colt magazines. Try the Brownell's units and your troubles will go away. The FN mag - maybe you have a bad one. I don't know, as I can't see it or inspect it.

-SS

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. It ain't much, only matters when you need that 0.4% and it ain't there.
And so to finish the story, I dropped the C Products magazines, tried a few other magazines, and settled on ASC magazines. They seem to have a much smoother feed and they "sound" (spring & follower) a lot better. After grinding the upper lip of the magazine catch so it will release, I've had 1 failure to climb the ramp in over 1,000 rounds. It too was a left side feed...

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK. I try again and experiment again with all my different mags, commercial, military and my hand loaded match ammo. The Simmonds mags (real Colt GI mags from 1971) have been trouble free but are short and therefore awkward to extract from that deep, gasketed mag well. I'll also try to see if there is a difference in the failure rate betw. shooting from a rest and shooting off hand. I'll also try both settings of the gas impingement system. An AR should not be finicky. This is the only one I've ever had that was. More than a few people on these forums have the same complaint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Frank, I make and shoot three thousand rounds a year for NRA & CMP matches. Charges are +/- 0.05 grains, OAL +/- 0.002", results 0.7MOA, zero failures. XM855 (I have a lot of it for the Lake City cases) is inaccurate ( >1.75 MOA from a comp upper) and much less effective than a 77 gr bthp. Buying a high quality rifle is only a good start. Besides, you saw the pic in the other threads with stove-piped XM855. I appreciate the mag advice, thank you. It would be good to know if there is a pre-1994 brand of mag that works best. No one is screaming bloody murder. I make the assumption that you and the others defending the FS are enthusiasts and not connected with FNH. These forums always contain a certain amount of griping. I like FN just fine - bought their 5.7mm pistol last week. Below load testing last Sunday at Reading, 200 yards, new White Oak upper, 24.2 grains Reloder 15, 77 grain SMK, Tula SMR, Lapua cases. Ten rounds, 1.45 inches. Many do better, like 0.4.
IMG_1170.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, you do have it better in Texas, and not just for gun laws. I can buy new ten round and pre-1994 20 and 30 round. Trying to locate a full length D&H ten rounder, that would be ideal. I have some other preban full size mags and plenty of green tip and will see if I can't work through this little problem.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yes, you do have it better in Texas, and not just for gun laws. I can buy new ten round and pre-1994 20 and 30 round. Trying to locate a full length D&H ten rounder, that would be ideal. I have some other preban full size mags and plenty of green tip and will see if I can't work through this little problem.
What state are you in? I have a couple hundred preban 30s. The funny thing is, they are all illegal here now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I actually had similar issues with the factory FN mag. I tried fixing the feed lips and changing out the follower with a magpul one. nothing worked. I threw it up on the shelf and switched over to SS C-products mags. I have not had one fail to feed or double feed (that wasn't user error). My FS2K is a big fan of the C-products mags.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually had similar issues with the factory FN mag. I tried fixing the feed lips and changing out the follower with a magpul one. nothing worked. I threw it up on the shelf and switched over to SS C-products mags. I have not had one fail to feed or double feed (that wasn't user error). My FS2K is a big fan of the C-products mags.
New C-Products or old C-Products? Mine has not liked the SS new ones and only tolerates the SS old ones. Of course, the ones it likes (Stainless Steel ASC) are, as I understand it, the new old C-Products under a different name.

I don't ask why, I just give it what it likes.

Come to think of it, sort of like with my wife...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
New C-Products or old C-Products?
What makes an old one an old one? Can you provide a date (I can't find a date on mine for some reason)? I think I got mine around Jan of this year from LJ Wholesalers or something like that.

One think I've noticed about my C-Products mags is that the round sits higher under the mag lip vs. D&H style ones. Doesn't seem to affect function at all though.

Off Topic- Does anyone know why C-Product mags get bashed over and over again on some other forums? The users posting here seems to have a semi-positive view of them. Out of the 4 that I've bought, I've only opened 1 and it has worked 100% so far; but I'm still leery...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Between a C Products mag at $8 and a top tier Brownells for $10 the Brownells is the better choice.
After the SH massacre, Brownells QC and Testing went to crap. The mags that they are putting out are/were horrific compared to the ones they were making before the event. There are a few threads with comparison pictures floating around on some different forums that will give you some proof. I will say that the ones that they were making before SH were top notch and are still feeding 100% for me. It's been a few months since the problems first surfaced so they might have fixed their "operation" so who knows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts