FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So a little under 2 years ago I purchased a used Scar 16s. In its config right now it's mostly stock except with a Geissele trigger.

Now the issue I'm having is that on hitting the bolt release on a loaded factory FN 16s mag or Gen 3 PMAGs, I get failure to feeds where the bullet is getting caught on the chamber face or occasionally a nose up jam.

The rifle seems to cycle ok when it's being cycled with gas, and I've replaced the return spring with a new one.

Any idea on what's happening? I'm thinking about replacing the barrel assembly with a newer one, but I'm not sure if that'll solve the issue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Try a standard GI mag. I never use any Maqpul after seeing what it was doing to my bolt catch.
I modified a few, but never felt ok about them.
do a search as this has been subject before.
maybe you’ve damaged your bolt catch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Try a standard GI mag. I never use any Maqpul after seeing what it was doing to my bolt catch.
I modified a few, but never felt ok about them.
do a search as this has been subject before.
maybe you’ve damaged your bolt catch.
This is happening with factory FN mags too.

Edit: and the Gen 3 pmags I've tried don't lift the bolt catch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Oh interesting, I don't think I see that part on my gun.

Here's a question, would a worn out extractor spring cause weird feeding issues if it doesn't hold onto the round as tightly when chambering? I could pick that up too while I'm at it.
I don't know. Unless the person who had it before you shot the snot out of it I would imagine the spring is fine.

You could test it with a dummy round or spent casing. Ride the charging handle forward and look to see if the casing/cartridge comes out of alignment with the chamber & bolt face.

Maybe try working some oil into the ejector. Perhaps there is some crude in there and it's preventing the spring from seating back all the way. Hence pushing the casing out a little??

It seems like the round is doing something funky when it charges a little slower from the bolt release.

From what I've read the earlier 16s's didn't have these parts. I guess the newer ones do. It's suppose to keep the round from nosing up above the chamber/barrel area.

I've also read this is usually a freak occurrence and it should not be necessary for typical operation.

I picked one up for the heck of it though. Cheap insurance.

IMG_3831.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh interesting, I don't think I see that part on my gun.

Here's a question, would a worn out extractor spring cause weird feeding issues if it doesn't hold onto the round as tightly when chambering? I could pick that up too while I'm at it.
The extractor doesn't hold onto anything until the cartridge is chambered and the bolt rotates to battery. Newer SCAR 16s have that return spring guide gizmo. Mine was purchased in 2008 and it doesn't. I understand that the part has to do with preventing a fired cartridge from somehow getting hung up in the moving action (the bolt carrier). Never had a problem with mine.

I have never experienced a feeding issue in my SCAR 16 such as you describe. I use Gen 1 Pmags, Gen 2 Pmags, Gen 3 Pmags, FN Stainless steel mags, Lancer L5 mags and even some old G.I. Mags with newer springs and followers. Never had the problem you describe. ANy feeding malfunction comes down to the device doing the feeding. That's the magazine. Deformed lips or just worn out lips. How many rounds are you putting in the magazine? Correct amount? Jamming in an extra? Is your lower receiver in good condition? No looseness with the mounting to the upper? Hammer slamming into the bolt catch when the lower is off the gun? Bent or damaged bolt catch support or release?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts