FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FAL was on my radar, but low priority, and a difficult design to do in the space there was. The 'slip sear' design (there's probably a technical name for it that I don't know) tends to place the pivot holes very close together, so fitting in a disconnector is difficult. Well, last weekend someone asked me about it, and as I was describing the challenge, it suddenly hit me how to do it. So being the ADD guy I am, and having a shiny new idea, I shelved al the stuff I was *supposed* to be working on, trashed the previous CAD models I had started, and started over.

I've now 3D printed 5 iterations (in plastic), and I like! It's come together nicely. Tomorrow I'll start to cut the first one in steel. I think this will be an excellent trigger.

Only outstanding technical issue is I need to fit the hammer spring. I do not like the FN straight coil spring. I prefer the clock spring approach, like the AR uses.

I might be back here a lot, asking stupid questions. I own an old Century FAL, but have never delved into the rifle. I know there are metric and inch ones, but am not sure what is most prevalent, I know there are kits and rifles from all over, but don't know if parts interchange, or which are better. It'll be fun to get something out there, so this is just a 'heads up' of what's coming for the New Year.

·
Vendor
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS90 is still on the list. It's been sitting parked for about 18 months now as I lost my machinist helper, and was struggling just to keep up with production, however I now have a new guy who is starting to get up to speed, and a second guy who is just starting, so I'm getting my head above water.

I'm lucky that there is a local trade school that teaches machining, and the instructor is a 2nd amendment supporter. So when kids get a couple of years under their belt and are looking for part-time work to bring in some extra cash, I can get them to come over. For them, some of it also counts as work experience credit to graduate. Obviously, 18 year olds won't hit the floor running, but at least they are safety trained, and I can show them what needs doing. I'll start them off deburring, or maybe reaming, and gradually move them to setting up the CNC for jobs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Glad I found this thread! Art, we talked a bit on the FALFiles a while back about this topic. L1A1 (aka "inch") and FAL (aka "metric") hammer, trigger, and sear parts are mostly incompatible. See the full list here https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240806

FALs are many times more plentiful than L1A1s, so you're on the right track there. I have 4 FALs and 1 L1A1, but I'd guess it's more like 30:1 in the real world.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with. I have a spare FAL lower I could send you and other bits as well, if it would help the cause.

Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, been waiting for the PS90 trigger pack for a while. I wouldn't mind having a better FN-FAL trigger either. I think the metric outnumber the inch pattern, at least in the USA where the DSA Stg58 is so popular.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts