FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided I need a FAL, but I know little about the various models, types, etc. A local gunshop had a Century R1A1 Sporter, 308, with the handle and had some sort of a mount screwed on the left side with a 4x28 scope of some Chinese make. Sure wasn't beautiful, but looked fair, in my mind, but, I'm still not very good at judging these surplus/clone-type weapons. Asking $600. Some of youall have not been favorably inclined towards Century.....and recommend DSA...etc..!?? So, my questions are:
1. Is this price, based on the little info Ive given, anywhere in the ball park??, and
2. Where can I get a listing, descriptions, etc of the various FNFAL models, variants, etc??
Im a newbie as to FALs...any info, etc would be helpful, Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Stay away from the Century- you will spend more money getting the thing to fire consistently than what you will pay for it!!! :(

Models:

1. DSA- see their website (if for shooting, go this route)

2. Springfield Armory

a) SAR 48/4800 (if for shooting, next alternative/SAR 48 will be true pre-89 and not subject to 922(r), if you want to add parts).

3. FM/LSR

a) Brazilian pre-89 (hard to find- more of a collector rifle)

4. FMAP

a) Argentine pre-89 (hard to find- more of a collector rifle)

5. FN (due to pricing, for collecting)

a) G-series/GL-series (fixed wooden stock/21" barrel)
b) 50.00 (fixed plastic stock/21" barrel)
c) 50.41 (fixed plastic stock/22" heavy barrel w/bipod- LSW)
d) 50.42 (fixed wooden stock/22" heavy barrel- LSW)
e) 50.63 (folding stock/18" barrel)
f) 50.64 (folding stock/21" barrel).

Hope this helps! :shock:
If any further information is needed, please query. :?

Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AGG:
Thanks for the quick and informative response...you have given me mucho info to work with. Im kinda dense as well as new at this "forum" stuff, so, what did you mean by "please query"??

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I forgot, welcome!!! :shock:
Please free free to ask any other questions you may have about the FAL. :D
Purchase with knowledge!!! :?

Tony

·
Registered
510 Posts
Going to hijack and revitalize this thread as I want to ask Tony a question on the make of a FAL I just picked up.

I picked up a Argentinean FAL the other day. It has a made in Argentina stamp on one side of the receiver. On the other, very faint is a import stamp from SAC, Latta, SC. Now from what I've been able to find, these were usually broken down and reassembled by DSA and one or two others, but they always restamped the gun with their information (usually in the magwell). This gun has no other stamps on it. The buttstock actually has the residue from either tape, glue or paint of where there was a large number on the buttstock, similar to the ones we used to see in the armory on the racks of our old M16A1 and A2s prior to the collapsable stocks becoming standard.

Anyway, just curious to see if anyone can shed some light on this for me. None of the serial numbers on any of the parts match, but I doubt this is a parts gun but can't confirm it.

Would appreciate any assistance. I suck with pictures, and I'm on dial up at home, and the gov't servers block photoshack and the like.

Thanks

Sabo

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sabo,

If it has the import marking "SAC" on the inside magazine well or upper receiver, it will be a parts gun, but quality, nonetheless!!! :?

Tony

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks Tony! I was afraid of that. I figured once I took her appart and started seeing different serial numbers on everything, she had to be a parts gun. Oh well, I'm not dissapointed though as it is a nice solid quality gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts