FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here, long time lurker from Marlin Owners, figured I needed to join the club. I do have a question. Will the shorter flash hider from the Austrian Stg58 fit an 80's Belgian Import FAL, 50 series 'Match'? Am I correct in assuming that the threads are a 9/16 left hand for both guns? I did not find my answer in the advanced search. Thank you all very much. AC

·
Registered
82 Posts
New here, long time lurker from Marlin Owners, figured I needed to join the club. I do have a question. Will the shorter flash hider from the Austrian Stg58 fit an 80's Belgian Import FAL, 50 series 'Match'? Am I correct in assuming that the threads are a 9/16 left hand for both guns? I did not find my answer in the advanced search. Thank you all very much. AC
An original StG-58 muzzle device is not short so you're probably looking at a modified version. It is left hand threaded.

I'll speculate that your FAL has a right hand threaded muzzle.

Post some pics...

·
Registered
212 Posts
An original StG-58 muzzle device is not short so you're probably looking at a modified version. It is left hand threaded.

Post some pics...
The Stoll device (what the STG58 has/had) while it looks long the threads are about half way down it - so half of it is covering barrel, unlike the long hider where most of it is after the barrel. So, "shorter" may be subjective.

Personally my favorite is the G1 device, easy on and easy off, no threading...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Post some pics...
I'll have no need to launch grenades. All that extra metal hanging out behind the device's threads has thoughtfully been removed leaving a shorter leaving a shorter, and most likely more effective FH. many studies have shown open prong flash hiders to more effective than closed prong. I'll find out about the threads soon enough. I'll post before and after pics. I suspect my Belgian is a thoroughbred Metric through and through. thank you all for the responses. AC

·
Registered
82 Posts
All that extra metal hanging out behind the device's threads has thoughtfully been removed leaving a shorter leaving a shorter, and most likely more effective FH. many studies have shown open prong flash hiders to more effective than closed prong. I'll find out about the threads soon enough. I'll post before and after pics.
It's your property and you can do as you please with it but I don't see the point of slapping a non-standard part on a factory built FAL. How will a supposed more "effective" flash hider benefit you?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I suspect my Belgian is a thoroughbred Metric through and through.
What does that mean? Belgian FAL's used both right and left hand threaded muzzles.

A lot of the factory built Belgian FAL's imported to the US had the Browning long flash hider with a right hand threaded muzzle.

That's why we need pics...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does that mean? Belgian FAL's used both right and left hand threaded muzzles.

A lot of the factory built Belgian FAL's imported to the US had the Browning long flash hider with a right hand threaded muzzle.

That's why we need pics...
Thank you, tullamore. I did not know that. A properly engineered open prong flash is much more effective than any closed slot design. AC

·
Registered
82 Posts
A properly engineered open prong flash is much more effective than any closed slot design. AC
I still don't understand your obsession with changing the muzzle device. A "open prong" flash hider is not going to increase the performance of your FAL.

I guess all I can do is urge you to not modify a factory built FAL....

Why not just buy an FAL parts kit and assemble it with the features you want?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I certainly do not want to adversely affect it's value. I would just like it a little shorter and a little less flash - the best of the best. After reading your's and other's' posts I'm inclined to leave it original. AC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts