FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to go out and purchase a Scar 17 Heavy for my husbands birthday. My question is this. Is 7.62x51mm and 308 the same? Also what is the best ammo to purchase? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am about to go out and purchase a Scar 17 Heavy for my husbands birthday. My question is this. Is 7.62x51mm and 308 the same? Also what is the best ammo to purchase? Thanks guys!
1) .308 Winchester and 7.62x51mm NATO are VERY close to being the same but they are NOT identical.
2) The FN SCAR 17S can safely fire BOTH (so don't worry about the differences)
3) The biggest factor will be: hunting or paper punching?

- Max

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Federal Lake City 7.62x51 XM80 is fairly inexpensive and mine love it. What an awesome birthday present! :?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have had good results shooting paper targets with the ZQI 7.62x51 NATO ammo sold at Walmart for $9.97 per box of 20. They were in a white box like in the link below but lately have been in a green box the same size. My Walmart always seems to have plenty and I usually buy them 10 boxes or so at a time.

Walmart Generic ZQI Ammunition 7.62x51mm M80 Cartridge, NATO, 20-Round Box : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide

From a reloading perspective, Winchester brass is arguably the best in terms of being consistently concentric and many competition shooters that reload swear by Winchester .308 brass. .308 was developed by Winchester after all.

The only ammo I won't feed my Scar is any steel cased ammo or any bi-metal (part steel) projectile ammo.

Reactions: Chunknled
1 - 7 of 7 Posts