FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW, I am really not sure how I feel about this......

OMAHA, Neb. - Nine children were left at a hospital by their father late Wednesday under the state's new safe haven law, a move officials say illustrates the problems many feared when the rule went into effect.

The father, who was not identified, left the children aged 1 to 17 at Creighton University Medical Center's emergency room.

The law, which went into effect in July, allows caregivers to abandon children at any state-licensed hospital without fear of prosecution. It was initially intended to protect infants — like similar laws in other states — but was amended to include children and teenagers.

At least four children between the ages of 11 and 15 have been abandoned in Nebraska by parents since the law took effect.

The nine youngsters surrendered Wednesday are OK, said Kathie Osterman, a spokeswoman for the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. She didn't know how many were boys or girls, or why their father left them.

More information will be available at a late morning news conference, Osterman said.

Nebraska was the last state in the nation to adopt a safe-haven law. Under previous law, a parent who abandoned a baby could have been charged with child neglect or abandonment, both misdemeanors, or child abuse, a felony.

Age not clear in the law
State Sen. Arnie Stuthman said he introduced the bill intending to protect infants. In a compromise with senators worried about arbitrary age limits, the measure was expanded to include the word "child."

The law doesn't further define child, and some have interpreted that to mean anyone in Nebraska under the age of 19. Others have taken the common law meaning of child — those under age 14.

Abandoning teenagers was not the original intent of the law, Stuthman said Thursday.

"People are leaving them off just because they can't control them," he said. "They're probably in no real danger, so it's an easy way out for the caretaker."

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yep, this is just another sign of the times. Society is going down hill at a very rapid rate. You know, there was a time when people took responsibility for their children and raised them on their own.

Now days people seem to think its there right to have as many children as they want, regardless if the have the means to support them or care for them. For some, children are just an added bonus to the welfare check every month.

The tax payers will provide free food, housing, education, heath care and anything else they need!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
ICM856 said:
Yep, this is just another sign of the times. Society is going down hill at a very rapid rate. You know, there was a time when people took responsibility for their children and rased them on their own.
Oh, responsibility is going away, as per the government. We don't use that thar word anymore :lol:

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
9 kids! :evil: Sounds like this idiot should have learned to use certain latex products. I was all ways taught to lie in the bed you made. Sounds like he spent too much time there!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I concur Ship, Lets see were do I start, BJ in the oval Office, Toe tapping in the mens room, $90,000 in the Refer, Driving Stoned into gov. barracade. Oh ya, our Elustrious Leaders are a model for sure.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
devildoc said:
I concur Ship, Lets see were do I start, BJ in the oval Office, Toe tapping in the mens room, $90,000 in the Refer, Driving Stoned into gov. barracade. Oh ya, our Elustrious Leaders are a model for sure.

:x :x

·
Registered
323 Posts
$1 -2 trillion (I mean $700 billion, yeah, sure) from the "affordable housing" mandate, which is chicken feed compared to the looming $50-55 trillion us baby boomers are going to launch from the Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid time bombs. 2008 will be the "good old days" in 15 years.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Responsibility? Is that word even IN the dictionary anymore? I don't think so. This is what happens when you want the govt. to do everything for you, IMO.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Back to the issue. On the one hand I'd rather have the guy give up his kids rather that starve them or abuse them or just leave them on the side of a hill. On the other hand, he should be held accountable for his actions. Those kids didn't just magically appear. Way back when they used to send people to the "Poor House" (work farms) to work off their debts. Get rid of the all the illegal aliens and I'll tell ya where your work force is.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
ICM856 said:
Yep, this is just another sign of the times. Society is going down hill at a very rapid rate. You know, there was a time when people took responsibility for their children and raised them on their own.

"Are we rollin' downhill like a snowball headed for hell?"

WISH A BUCK WAS STILL SILVER
(ARE THE GOOD TIMES REALLY OVER)
Merle Haggard

Wish a buck was still silver.
It was, back when the country was strong.
Back before Elvis; before the Vietnam war came along.
Before The Beatles and "Yesterday",
When a man could still work, and still would.
Is the best of the free life behind us now?
Are the good times really over for good?

Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the Flag or the Liberty bell.
Wish a Ford and a Chevy,
Could still last ten years, like they should.

I wish coke was still cola,
And a joint was a bad place to be.
And it was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV.
Before microwave ovens,
When a girl still cooked and still would.

Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the Flag or the Liberty bell.
Wish a Ford and a Chevy,
Could still last ten years, like they should.

Stop rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
Stand up for the Flag and let's all ring the Liberty bell.
Let's make a Ford and a Chevy,
Still last ten years, like they should.
'Cos the best of the free life is still yet to come,
The good times ain't over for good?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Wow TA, thats a deep song. It remind me of a little jingle I herd years ago about speeding.
She was going around the bin
at 90 miles an hour
when the chain on her bicycle broke.
They found her in grass
with the sprocket up her _ _ _
and her tit was punctured by the spoke.

:D just to lighten thing up.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
If you are making fun of Merle I'll have to hunt ya down and force you to listen to Willie Nelson songs until your brain explodes. :?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hey TA I bet you didn't know that Wille has a house over here in NC by the beach. Always smell like he's burning leaves in the back yard when I drive by. :?:

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
No I didn't. Myrtle Beach? Lake City?

Knowing Willie, those leaves he's burnin' didn't grow on tree's.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Out near North Topsail, its not to far from Oprah's diggs.

As far as making me lisson to country western music, can I choose to get Tazed or water boarded instead? :-D

When I was growing up, my folks had 45 head of horses and Gramps had 25 head of cows. Whenever I hear C/W music it reminds me of mucking out all those stalls.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow TA that is way too down for a Friday so I am posting this pic I found on line to make me feel better.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha Ha

"After years of oppression from the Imperialist German Shepard next door, Ahmed El-Whiskers had had enough. With the promise of 72 balls of virgin wool to play with and the knowledge he would be a heroic martyr among his feline brethren, Ahmed had made his choice and began his final journey to the dog park."

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I'm beginning to think this thread may have drifted a bit off topic. :p

So the what about the wife in this story?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts