3. It's a single stack so it's thin
4. It's DA/SA
5. It's accurate
6. No beavertail
7. Very reliable

·
Registered
156 Posts
The 1911 is my preferred pistol platform for the .45 ACP; however, I have to say that I do like the HK45 (not the USP). It still needs more action variants (I think only 3 of the 9 are presently available) and the sights are lacking in my opinion, but the pistol works well. It has a good layout for its controls (especially the mag release). It is very comfortable in the hand even though some complain incessantly about the aesthetics of the so-called "Spidey" grips. It does deliver good combat accuracy as one would expect from HK.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
SIG 220. Had a chance to buy my buddies when I was stationed in Yuma but didn't have the cask at the time. That sound you hear in me kicking myself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When I was shopping for a 45 last year, I narrowed it down to a 1911 (which is what I got), a Sig 220 (expensive!), and a Witness (CZ97b clone). Almost went with the Witness, if I could've found one local to hold before buying. I really like the thought of converting to 9, 10, 40, 45, and 22lr.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Springfield XD45
:?

·
Registered
156 Posts
devildoc said:
AGG, are you talking about the kimber raptor? If so thats a 1911.
He's talking about the member with the screen name "Raptor725" who recommended the HK USP in .45 ACP.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was all set to buy a 45 USP earlier this year. But, upon renting one, I found it was too fat for my hand. Granted, I had picked one up many times - and I thought that it wasn't that bad, and that I could still make it work. I shot terrible with it, though.

I wish they make a long slide USPc - as the USPc grip is thinner

·
Registered
873 Posts
FNP-45, closely followed by my S&W Model 22 "Thunder Ranch" special edition.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I was all set to buy a 45 USP earlier this year. But, upon renting one, I found it was too fat for my hand.
Try the HK45. One of the reasons it was developed was to address the problem with the fat grip of the HK USP in .45 ACP. The HK45 has a grip that many consider more comfortable than that on the standard USP.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I played with the HK45 a lot at the gun show this past weekend. I wanted one prev. However - while I LOVE their mag release placement (I love it on the Walther P99 series too) - THe mag release on the HK45 and P30 sticks up above the edge of the trigger guard. When pulling the trigger in SA mode - it rubs your finger. In order to avoid it, I have to keep my trigger finger too high up on the trigger to keep from hitting it.

The HK45c doesn't do this. Just the fullsize HK45 and the P30.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ShipWreck said:
THe mag release on the HK45 and P30 sticks up above the edge of the trigger guard. When pulling the trigger in SA mode - it rubs your finger. In order to avoid it, I have to keep my trigger finger too high up on the trigger to keep from hitting it.
When you say you tried it at the gun show, did they have a mag in it? The reason I ask is the mag release position on the HK45 is different depending on whether a mag is or is not loaded in the pistol. When the mag is in the pistol, the mag release is supposed to be flush with the trigger guard. When the mag is not in the pistol, the mag release lever is actually higher than the trigger guard.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts