FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some movies and books have some great speeches that just happen to hit your funny bone or make you say Hell Yeah! Especially when the speech becomes relevent in some way years later...

I ran across one tonight. It's from a Movie starring James Garner. He's responding to a comment about US troops in England during WWII. From The Americanization of Emily:

"Lt. Cmdr. Charles E. Madison: You American haters bore me to tears, Ms. Barham. I've dealt with Europeans all my life. I know all about us parvenus from the States who come over here and race around your old Cathedral towns with our cameras and Coca-cola bottles... Brawl in your pubs, paw at your women, and act like we own the world. We over-tip, we talk too loud, we think we can buy anything with a Hershey bar. I've had Germans and Italians tell me how politically ingenuous we are, and perhaps so. But we haven't managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet. I've had Frenchmen call me a savage because I only took half an hour for lunch. Hell, Ms. Barham, the only reason the French take two hours for lunch is because the service in their restaurants is lousy. The most tedious lot are you British. We crass Americans didn't introduce war into your little island. This war, Ms. Barham to which we Americans are so insensitive, is the result of 2,000 years of European greed, barbarism, superstition, and stupidity. Don't blame it on our Coca-cola bottles. Europe was a growing brothel long before we came to town."

The Americanization of Emily

TA :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
The opening scene to the movie Patton is a classic.

"when you put your hand ina pile of goo, that a moment before was your best friends face, you'll know what to do..."

and in Apocolypse Now

"and then it hit me, like a diamond bullet between the eyes,,,,"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure if this is considered a speech, but I love the opening drill scene in Full Metal Jacket. :shock:

·
Registered
262 Posts
How about Animal House......

Otter at the Frat Council Hearing to ban Delta

"But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!"[Leads the Deltas out of the hearing, all humming the Star-Spangled Banner]

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KING HENRY V:
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

TA

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see in Fight Club, the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential. And I see squandering. God damn it! An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables. Slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing car and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy sh!t we don't need. We are the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no great war. No great depression. Our great war's a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
How about the speech by Gary at the end of Team America? Now that's a classic....and so true!! (I won't quote it as I dont wish to offend anyone)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
Kaffee: Did you order the code red?
Jessep: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.
Kaffee: Did you order the code red?
Jessep: You're goddamn right I did!!

"A Few Good Men"

TA

·
Registered
134 Posts
Presidential speech in "Independence Day" on final counteroffensive.
Ooooh, I love that scene...

"Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. 'Mankind.' That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!' We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"

·
Registered
636 Posts
ruckus3008 said:
I see in Fight Club, the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential. And I see squandering. God damn it! An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables. Slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing car and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy sh!t we don't need. We are the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no great war. No great depression. Our great war's a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

+1

:cool:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Any line from Sergeant Major Plumley

·
Registered
69 Posts
Boondock Saints - Courtroom Speech

"Now you will receive us. We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim.It is your evil that will be sought by us.With every breath, we shall hunt them down.Each day we will spill their blood til it rains down from the skies.Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal, these are principles which every man of every faith can embrace.These are not polite suggestions. These are codes of behavior and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.There are varying degrees of evil, we urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption, into our domain. But if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three and on that day you will reap it. And we will send you to which ever god you wish.And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti"

:twisted:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Robert Duval's speech from Apocalypse Now.

Liutenant Colonel Kilgore: “You smell that? Do you smell that? … Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn’t find one of ‘em, not one stinkin’ dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like … victory.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Col. Chamberlain & the 20th Maine Infantry.

The movie Gettysburg is one of my favorites. And Chamberlain is one of my favorite Civil War leaders. This speech was almost for sure made up by hollywood as no one has ever produced a record of what he said that day. None the less, it a great speech. If you don't know about Chamberlain and what he did that day, please see the movie. Here are some links to info on it.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/getttour/sidebar/chambln.htm

http://www.brotherswar.com/Gettysburg-2e.htm

Here is the speech he gave to some soldiers from Maine (about 100) who said their enlistment papers were up and they wanted to go home. So these men were rounded up and sent to Chamberlains 20th to see if he could do something with them.

"You men gather around.
I've been talking with Private Bucklin.
He's told me about your problem.
There's nothing I can do today.
We're moving out in a few minutes.
We'll be moving all day.
I've been ordered
to take you men with me.
I'm told that...
if you don't come, I can shoot you.
Well, you know I won't do that.
Maybe somebody else will, but I won't.
So, that's that.
Here's the situation.
The whole reb army is up that road
a ways waiting for us.

This is no time for an argument.

I tell you, we could surely use you fellows.

We're now well below half strength.

Whether you fight or not, that's up to you.

Whether you come along is...
Well, you're coming.

You know who we are, why we're here.

If you fight alongside us,
there's a few things you must know.

This regiment was formed
last summer in Maine.

There were 1000 of us then.

There are less than 300 of us now.

All of us volunteered to fight
for the Union, just as you did.

Some came mainly because
we were bored at home.

Thought this looked like it might be fun.

Some came because
we were ashamed not to.

Many of us came
because it was the right thing to do.

And all of us have seen men die.

This is a different kind of army.

If you look back through history,
you'll see men fighting for pay...

for women, for some other kind of loot.

They fight for land, power.

Because a king leads them,
or just because they like killing.

We are here for something new.

This has not happened much
in the history of the world.

We are an army out to set other men free.

America should be free ground.

All of it.

Not divided by a line
between slave state and free.

All the way from here to the Pacific Ocean.

No man has to bow.

No man born to royalty.

Here we judge you by what you do,
not by who your father was.

Here you can be something.

Here is the place to build a home.

But it's not the land.

There's always more land.

It's the idea that we all have value.

You and me.

What we're fighting for, in the end...

we're fighting for each other.

Sorry.

I didn't mean to preach.

You go ahead.

You talk for a while.

If you choose to join us and want
your muskets back, you can have them.

Nothing more will be said
by anybody, anywhere.

If you choose not to join us,
you can come along under guard.

When this is over, I'll do what I can...

to see you get a fair treatment,
but for now, we're moving out.

Gentlemen.

I think if we lose this fight...

we lose the war.

So, if you choose to join us,
I'll be personally very grateful.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
"This... is.. SPARTA!" from 300. Basically the entire movie. If you didn't like 300 then your sense of entertainment is deader than John Denver's career.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Movie: Aliens
Scene: When the space Marines are taking Ripley down to the planet surface
Quote:
"Hey Ripley! Don't you worry, me and my squad of ultimate bad-asses will protect you. Check it out, independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. Whap! You can fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, and we got Sonic Electronic Ball-Breakers! We got nukes, knives, sharp sticks..."

·
Registered
37 Posts
My vote goes to First Blood:

Trautman: Company Leader calling Raven. Caompany Leader to Raven. Come in John.
Rambo: It that you sir?
Trautman: It's good to hear your voice Johnny, it's been a long time. Look John, you've done some damage here, they don't want anymore trouble. That's why I've come. I want to come in there and fly you the hell out. Just you and me. We'll work this thing out together. Is that fair enough?
Rambo: Where did you come from Sir?
Trautman: Bragg.
Rambo: I tried to get in touch with you, but the guy's in Bragg never knew where to find you.
Trautman: You know I haven't been spending much time there lately, they've got me down in D.C. I'm shining a seat with my ass.
Rambo: I wish I was back in Bragg now.
Trautman: We'll talk about that when you come in.
Rambo: I can't do that Sir.
Trautman: Look John, we can't have you running around out there killing friendly civilians.
Rambo: There are no friendly civilians!
Trautman: But I'm your friend Johnny! I was there with you knee-deep in all that blood and guts. I covered your ass more than once. Seems like bailing you out of trouble's got to be a life-time achievement for me.
Rambo: There wouldn't be no trouble except for that king **** cop! All I wanted was something to eat. But the man kept pushing Sir.
Trautman: Well you did some pushing on your own John.
Rambo: They drew first blood, not me.
Trautman: Look Johnny, let me come in and get you the hell out of there!
Rambo: They drew first blood...
Trautman: Rambo, are you still reading me? Company leader to Raven! Rambo! Acknowledge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts