FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
ronbo2958 said:
I am waiting for my SCAR 17S FDE to arrive. Mine came in on Thurs. But I refused it. I did not like the color, it was a green upper an choclate brown lower and the furniture was two shades of tan.It was not like the one shown in the forum header. They have a replacement coming in this week and hopefully it will be acceptable. I'm tired of fondling the picture on my screen saver.
Any one else have this issue?
ronbo2958 said:
I’m sorry I’m from the old school where a rifle is a firearm and the person using it becomes the weapon. There is nothing wrong with wanting a firearm that is beautiful to look at and functions better than anything else in the world. (Especially when it is my money). I will worry about getting it dirty when they start coming over the wire. Until then I want it pretty; I did my time in the mud. Simper Fi!!!
djpaintles said:
Gee I thought that when someone starts a thread on a forum like this entitled "FDE Color" they were inviting open discussion about the color of Scar 17's......................DJ
Open discussion yes ... is that what the majority of the comments were or was it more like "quit whining and accept what they give you" or "it's a gun, get over it" or "Geesh are you buying a weapon or something to match you favorite sweater and pair of shoes?". The man stated what he expected/wanted of his rifle; why is that an issue?

I'm done here ... agree to disagree.

I'm with you on this one ronbo ... for the kind of money you are dropping on the rifle, you are totally within your right to be picky about the aesthetics! We're not talking about a cheap-ass Delton AR here? :?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I like these because they way they look:

I like these because of the way they shoot:

Obviously I'm not at all adverse to "pretty" guns as long as they shoot good too. But sometimes beauty is as beauty does.

As other posters mentioned the Scars are too good of a rifle to miss out on because of the colors of the FDE uppers and lowers. Buy a black one or send either one out and have it Cerrokoted to whatever uniform color or camo pattern you like.

BTW I'm probably just as guilty of worrying about appearances on "tactical" style weapons, I've spend more money on matching Magpul grips, handguard covers and stocks than I care to think about. But I know from personal experience you can worry way too much about how a gun looks. I nearly returned a LWRC M6a2 because of blotchy looking anodizing. Turns out some of it was just dry, a little oil over the whole thing made it look just right. I'd hate for someone else miss out on a good firearm for the same reason.

In the end, it's your money. Spend it the way you want to....................................DJ

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If the one that showed up for me looked like either one of the two above I would be writing a thread to till everyone what a great day I had at the range with it. I just wanted to see what the common ground was of what they were looking like.
DJ: If color don't matter... you want to trade?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
ronbo2958 said:
If the one that showed up for me looked like either one of the two above I would be writing a thread to till everyone what a great day I had at the range with it. I just wanted to see what the common ground was of what they were looking like.
DJ: If color don't matter... you want to trade?

The way those two shoot they ain't gettin traded for nuthin! :) ............................DJ

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
But seriously, if the gun is still at your dealer you might try wiping the upper receiver down with whatever oil you like to use. Sometimes annodizing and other finishes can look pretty funky if they get dry in spots - like the LWRC's I saw did....................................DJ

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
In the pic it has a Eotech with a flip aside 3x magnifyer. It worked pretty well but I've since switched over to a Leupy Mk 4 4.5-14 in a Larue mount so I can switch back and forth as needed.

I put the higher powered optic on to test loads at first but the darned thing is shooting so well it may well talk me into leaving the 4.5-14 on it.......................................DJ

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
djpaintles said:
But seriously, if the gun is still at your dealer you might try wiping the upper receiver down with whatever oil you like to use. Sometimes annodizing and other finishes can look pretty funky if they get dry in spots - like the LWRC's I saw did....................................DJ
Did you see the photos? It not blothching, it's the distict color green,chocolate and tan. But thanks for the sugestion

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I tried to look at the pics but they were postage stamp sized on my screen and I couldn't really tell much.

The color in my pic is a little lighter looking because it's a larger pic and the sun is shining directly on them. With inside light my upper receivers look like they have a bit of a greenish tinge to them.

Oh well, I do really hope that you can find one that you enjoy as much as I have mine...........................................dj

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
djpaintles said:
I tried to look at the pics but they were postage stamp sized on my screen and I couldn't really tell much.

The color in my pic is a little lighter looking because it's a larger pic and the sun is shining directly on them. With inside light my upper receivers look like they have a bit of a greenish tinge to them.

Oh well, I do really hope that you can find one that you enjoy as much as I have mine...........................................dj
Go to the welcom forum (Joining from the Couv) the photos came out better there

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I checked out the pictures in the Welcome section. I wonder why they woiuld look different there? Both pulled up imageshack. Oh well it doesn't matter it was just funny they looked smaller in the thread than on the Welcome section.

It's still hard to tell because of the lighting but I don't think that the one in the pictures is all that much different from mine. The upper receivers on both mine look greenish in indoor light and more tan in sunlight. Maybe you'll find one different that you like better but I still think you may have to go with a black one or Cerakote one. I haven't seen one yet that looked like the one in the banner.

Good luck.............................DJ

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I like Black and I paid a good penny for it, it you want to belittle me, you, Sir, are a Cad!
Have a nice day. :-D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
UPDATE:
I sent a letter to FNHUS about my disappointment with the color. A couple of days later I got a phone call from the customer service manager and we’ll just say that I will spend the rest of my days telling everyone what a great company FNHUS is. I will send pics when I get it back.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
mptoledo said:
Tell that to SGT and his pink gun :p :p

To each his own, as long as he isn't desperaging your color. I personally like the black. I have a rainbow gold, but I am getting a black one on Monday. I swore I would never own a rainbow gold one, but after getting it, I actually like the color, but not as much as black. All my other guns are black so I prefer to have a matching set. Yes they do shoot the same, but at $2k plus I prefer to have what I want. It isn't the old days with Henry Ford.... " you can have any color you want as long as it is black" :-D

How did I miss this thread?...

Instead of staying with the subject matter, I'm thrown under the bus - as usual. :-(

I agree with the OP. If he wants his kit to match, FN should do their best to accommodate him - as I'm sure they (Robert) are doing the best they can to rectify the situation. :?

AND I said rectify, not RECTUM - MP, so don't get all sweaty. :-D

Who's wanting to bash my Dodge? :eek:

Okay, I'm going back to the freestyle room to pick a fight! :twisted:

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Metal anodizing and the color of plastic is very hard to match, except for painting both.

But green on the upper??? :p Come on!!! :spank:

Who's takin' trash about Dodge trucks???

I'm with you, let's get 'em Sarge!!! :--(

Edit: spelling.

·
Registered
130 Posts
ronbo2958 said:
UPDATE:
I sent a letter to FNHUS about my disappointment with the color. A couple of days later I got a phone call from the customer service manager and we’ll just say that I will spend the rest of my days telling everyone what a great company FNHUS is. I will send pics when I get it back.
I'm interested in what it looks like when you get it back. So what did they say about the color schemes? It's obvious that the cat's out of the bag and that several of the FDEs are a different color. Mine is just about completely chocolate brown. I really like the color so I'll keep it. I'd just like to know what the deal was.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Unfortunately, you kind of get what your dealer offers you. I'd like to inspect a long rack of them and pick my color. A green upper is really what I would like to have but I think I'll be happy with what emerges from the box...

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Hell I'm just so happy to be getting mine I dont care what color it is! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I just don't want a black one. I already passed on one of those...

21 - 40 of 65 Posts