FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my newly acquired FDE FNX-45 Tactical to the range today and kept shooting low.. I'm not sure if it was me jerking or what.. For my sight picture I lined up all 3 dots so that they are parallel. I dont think theres a way to adjust the sights so looking for some input. I'll be getting my Trijicon RMR soon but i still want to be able to shoot with the irons..

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Was your first shot low as well? I ask because of the SA/DA on the FNX which is different from shooting Glock. There could also be some anticipating with the recoil and that could be dropping your front sight. (NOT TRYING TO INSULT YOUR SKILLS OR ANYTHING ELSE, just asking)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SA/DA?? I'm pretty sure they were all low.. No offense taken at all.. i'm new to the FNX so im aware there is a learning curve when shooting a new pistol.. always been a glock guy..

·
Registered
508 Posts
Which sight picture is supposed to be correct for the FNX-45 Tac with the high night sights?
I have to use #3 on my 45 tac or it shoots a little low, but #2 isn't incredibly low either. Since you are used to shooting Glocks, try concentrating on making sure your wrist is straight and not angling down. What I have noticed with Glocks (being that I am more used to the grip angle of a 1911 or FNX) is that you must slightly angle your wrist downward in order for the sights to line up properly, so maybe since you are used to a Glock you might be angling your wrist down a little.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks everyone.. Will try out the recommendations and see if I can solve the problem

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Anticipating recoil and different trigger. I was shooting low with my tac and on with my 21 untill I adjusted my trigger control with some dry firing. Try staging the double action as it will force you to take your time with sight picture. thats how I fix my issue

·
Registered
787 Posts
My experience: With some guns I am able to be dead-on right away, but with some I struggle.

Like you, my first few outings with the FNX-45T were disappointing. I started with high hopes, but my accuracy was disappointing. Even after adding the RM06.

This has happened with other guns as well. I don't know why. But I am pretty sure it is the shooter, and not the gun.

With more practice, I am better now.

Keep trying.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It also never hurts to have someone more experienced shoot it also.
As instructors at Front Sight on Day 1, one of the things we do is to shoot a few rounds from each students gun so ensure the sights are on and the gun is functional.
After that, with the student holding the gun and their finger on the trigger, we place our finger on top of theirs and presssss.
This accomplishes two things:
1. Since they're not pressing the trigger they get to feel what a surprise break feels like.
2. We trap their finger to the rear after the shot breaks and let them feel what the reset feels like.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
SA/DA?? I'm pretty sure they were all low.. No offense taken at all.. i'm new to the FNX so im aware there is a learning curve when shooting a new pistol.. always been a glock guy..
SA/DA is Single Action and Double Action, which is what the FNX has. Glocks do not have both single and double action. The first shot (DA) requires X amount of pull, then the following shots (SA) requires significantly a lot less amount of trigger pull. So if you're still pulling the trigger as if its in double action that can cause your shots to be pulled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts