FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run any of this ammo through their SCAR 17? I'm thinking of buying a few hundred rounds to squirrel away for a rainy day.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Yes, I have put @140rds through my 17. Works great. I need to chrono it but it seems to be smoking right along, really gets the steel plates flipping at 100yds

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Personally, I spend $$$ on the run-of-the-mill ball ammo and loading components and instead of trying to make a sledghammer from a claw hammer, I just buy the sledgehammer and call it good.

-SS

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Personally, I spend $$$ on the run-of-the-mill ball ammo and loading components and instead of trying to make a sledghammer from a claw hammer, I just buy the sledgehammer and call it good.

-SS
Well since I have a SBR 17, which we all know is a pea shooter, I like to get it up to at least pellet gun territory... ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

-SS
I'm very well stocked in components (I prefer Nosler 155 gr HPBT myself), but would like to set something special back for SHTF. Hell, the stuff might even appreciate in value!

What's the verdict on copper fouling with this ammo? At 3k ft/s I was seeing some fouling from Barnes TSX 110 gr handloads...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I used some of this ammo last year for deer. Dropped two does on the spot at ~50 yards out of my 17S. My plan as to stock up on it, but then the scare happened and that wasn't feasible any more. I"m now starting to look at Barnes 130 or 150 gr reloads for a similar role. If you can find some, and it's affordable, go for it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used some of this ammo last year for deer. Dropped two does on the spot at ~50 yards out of my 17S. My plan as to stock up on it, but then the scare happened and that wasn't feasible any more. I"m now starting to look at Barnes 130 or 150 gr reloads for a similar role. If you can find some, and it's affordable, go for it.
Well, I think the cost to reload all copper bullets like the Barnes or GMX is about $0.85/rd. SGAmmo and other suppliers are selling the federal mk319 for about $1/shot for factory sealed ammo. Now, if I could finds some pulled mk319 bullets, I'd probably just roll my own.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did chrono some Fed 130gr Mk 319 Mod 0 through my SCAR 17s a couple months back. It was showing Avg 2847 with SD 8. Shot a little low right from the LC 2013 I was shooting. ( Avg 2654 SD 16 ) The Groups, while not immediately impressive, was still about 2 to 2.5 inches at 200 yrds with a bit of changing wind left to right. Center pic pic I relized after posting was Chrono display of some Nosler 155 test loads, however the chrono data for the Mk319 is correct
IMG_3285.JPG IMG_3020.jpg IMG_3013.jpg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Mk319 is ammo made specifically for the Mk17.

It kicks lighter, it's more controllable on full auto and it should create vicious wounds out to 600 meters.

It's essentially building on the 6.8SPC concept in an existing NATO supply chain caliber.

I'ts not real 7.62NATO ballistically, it lacks the range and medium density barrier penetration because it's lighter weight gives less retained energy than we expect from 7.62NATO at longer ranges.

If you intended to use your SCAR-17S the way you wold use an M4 it would be an ideal load. If you want to use your SCAR 17S with a scope and pick off targets in overwatch there are better choices.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mk319 is ammo made specifically for the Mk17.

It kicks lighter, it's more controllable on full auto and it should create vicious wounds out to 600 meters.

It's essentially building on the 6.8SPC concept in an existing NATO supply chain caliber.

I'ts not real 7.62NATO ballistically, it lacks the range and medium density barrier penetration because it's lighter weight gives less retained energy than we expect from 7.62NATO at longer ranges.

If you intended to use your SCAR-17S the way you wold use an M4 it would be an ideal load. If you want to use your SCAR 17S with a scope and pick off targets in overwatch there are better choices.
Exactly, sounds like it is worth the 40% premium over M80 ball for carbine/urban work. Just keep some 168 gr OTM for hold off distance work if ever needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts