FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Things have been a little slow here lately, so I thought I'd post my latest acquisition.
I'd never heard of a 40 S&W FEG "Hi Power" before I saw this one.

It is not a true Hi Power clone, since it appears that FEG went a different route to convert to the 40 S&W cartridge.
Instead of going to a cast frame and thicker slide like FN did, FEG went to a S&W style barrel and lug system but kept the 9mm sized forged frame and slide.

It shoots really well. It is very accurate, 100% reliable over 150 various rounds , and it has an excellent trigger pull.

Although it's not an FN product, or a true Hi Power, I thought some here might find it of interest.

Right now it's at Novak for night sights. FEG 40S&W.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Things have been a little slow here lately, so I thought I'd post my latest acquisition.
I'd never heard of a 40 S&W FEG "Hi Power" before I saw this one.

It is not a true Hi Power clone, since it appears that FEG went a different route to convert to the 40 S&W cartridge.
Instead of going to a cast frame and thicker slide like FN did, FEG went to a S&W style barrel and lug system but kept the 9mm sized forged frame and slide.

It shoots really well. It is very accurate, 100% reliable over 150 various rounds , and it has an excellent trigger pull.

Although it's not an FN product, or a true Hi Power, I thought some here might find it of interest.

Right now it's at Novak for night sights. View attachment 23382
I've been lusting after a .40 S&W Hi Power forever to the point that I bought a CZ-75B that I will convert to single action since I can't find one. Very curious about the FEG clone. Can you take it apart and show the difference in design?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
BTW, the Lithuanian police never used this in service.

Lithuanian Firearms

Scroll down to almost the bottom.

Reactions: Burgs

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
How much you pay, and where did you find this BTW???

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BTW, the Lithuanian police never used this in service.

Lithuanian Firearms

Scroll down to almost the bottom.
Correct, that's why I put "Lithuanian Police" in quotes. I meant to clarify that in the first post.
I am in contact with the webmaster of that Lithuanian military arms site. He couldn't tell me much more than what's already on his site.
They were made in 9mm and 40 S&W, which I thought was a peculiar caliber for a European agency.
At any rate the guns were built, but the contract wasn't proceeded with. He's not sure why, but he doesn't think it was a problem with the guns.

This one I found it on Gun Broker after a heads up from a member of the 1911 Forum.
I really like HP 40s so I couldn't resist. Well, actually, I showed the pics to my wife and she said she'd get it for me for Valentine's Day. :-]

Here's a few more photos. Notice the differences in the barrel and guide rod. The FEG 40 guide rod can't be installed upside down. The recoil spring is also less weight than the FN 20Lb spring.
Aside from the no cross bolt in the frame, different slide stop and maybe the lug cuts in the slide, the rest of the pistol appears to be compatible with FN HPs.
I should know soon enough. After it gets back from Novak for night sights I'm going to change some stuff around.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The grips that came with the P9M are the flat military style plastic. Unlike the FN flat plastic grips, the FEG grips are stippled inside the borders and not checkered. A nice thing about the FEG grips is that they are very thin.
It has Navidrex Philippine Mahogany grips on it now. I like them with the polished blue finish.

The one mag that came with it was an FN/Browning "mousetrap" mag. I don't know if it is original to the pistol, although I suspect it might be. For the number of 40 S&W FEG that were built it would make sense to outsource the mags.

The hammer eats meat like an alligator on meth.

Note the FEG lanyard ring. It is positioned horizontally across the bottom of the grip, held in by a pin. this position doesn't interfere with the left handed shooting grip like the FN version does. Since I use Pachmayr base pads on all of my 40 S&W mags (to quickly differentiate them from the 9mm mags) the lanyard ring isn't even noticeable to me when shooting.

I think this is going to be a very fun little gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've been lusting after a .40 S&W Hi Power forever to the point that I bought a CZ-75B that I will convert to single action since I can't find one. Very curious about the FEG clone. Can you take it apart and show the difference in design?
Don't give up. I've had great luck with finding HP 40s using Gun Broker and Guns America.

I've also bought a couple via Cabelas.
If they have one anywhere in the country Cabelas will ship it to your FFL. I actually called the gun library and asked them to do a nationwide store search for me.
With the last one I tried to haggle with them a bit. They said that they couldn't do anything with the price of the HiPower, BUT, they could offer me free shipping.
That worked for me. :-]

By the way, there's nothing wrong with a CZ!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Thanks for the photo's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see the FEG clones at every gun show I've been to in the DFW, TX area. Could be the same guns everytime since the dealers are usually the same. I also spot one .40 Hi-Power per show, but again, could be the same individual sellers who can't unload the thing. All of the above are used, of course. Saw 3 FEG 9s in the used cabinet at Cabelas in Dec. for $349 ea. It took a couple of weeks before they were gone. Just FYI.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The FEG 40 arrived back from Novak's yesterday. Novak did their usual excellent job.
I dropped it off today with my tame gunsmith, Old George for the rest of the mods.

I also ordered a postal scale so I compare weights with a FN HP 40 and a 69C. Should be interesting to see how they weigh out.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here it is finished. SFS, Novak night sights, 11 degree crown and a Garthwaite trigger.
I put 200 flawless post-build rounds through it and it is a tackdriver.

Attachments

Reactions: akitainu

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank you, Sonytec.
The build was by no means a simple parts drop in. Every part had to be hand fitted and adjusted to the FEG's frame. The SFS hammer and the Garthwaite trigger's interface with the trigger bar were particularly troublesome.
The bottom left side of the hammer had to be shaved a bit to fit the into the slide.
The trigger bar had a lot of side to side play and would sometimes hit the bottom of the slide instead of the sear lever. I was a bit perplexed, but Old George knew exactly what to do and after about 5 minutes of filing and mumbling he had it sorted.
In the end, everything turned out very well and it is now a pleasant pistol to shoot with absolutely no hammer bite whatsoever.
I don't know how many FEG 40s Novak had done before this one, but the POA/POI zero is perfect and what you see is what you hit.

I think I'm going to have a LOT of fun with this pistol!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts