FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone I am new to this site and I just had a little dilemma. I am looking to purchase a ps90. I've been trying to shop around for the best price and I need help deciding. Is the black usg sight/TR ( around the same price) worth spending 300 or 400 more or would I be better off just buying the white sight and saving that amount? thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems like the USG and White ring sights use similar technology with a slightly different form factor and a slightly different reticle.

I can see in some conditions where one might prefer a light or dark colored reticle. Is that the only real difference or is their something fundamentally different about the USG (like an etched reticle)?

Most reflex sights that rely on ambient light in the day and tritium illumination at night to project a reticle image have lighting conditions they are not useable in. The very best have relatively few lighting conditions they are unusable in, and the very worst have a lot of lighting conditions they are unusable in.

I would classify the White Ring sight as among the very worst I've encountered. Its acceptable in ideal conditions and unusable in too many common conditions for my liking. I'm hoping the REM2 will make it quite usable ALL the time, although the three post reticle it lights up is not well suited for any great distance or any great accuracy.

Likely I'll end up putting a Trijicon TriPower on it so there is decent precision at least out to 100 yards. If I really like what it does at 100 yards I may go the extra mile and put a 1.5x Compact ACOG on it.

Now if you could illiminate the FRONT (ring) reticle with the REM2, that would be awesome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. yeah i understand how big of a difference the usg is from the white sight. after doing some research it seems the best I could find as of now is a 500 to 600 dollar difference between the two. still trying to figure out if that would be worth it or just to get an aftermarket rail system with an eotech.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
tqtran said:
IMO, the USG sight is worth the extra money over the TR or White ring sight. Check out the "sticky" thread about the different sights here.
http://www.fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=334
I still don't see the advantage of the USG sight over a tri-rail.

Why be locked in to the blocky integrated sitght when there are a myriad of GREAT third party sights that fit on the tri-rail?

Holographic, ACOG, red dot....whatever you want on that sweet sweet tri-rail.

Furthermore, as products and preferences change...with the tri-rail you just swap out for whatever sight fits your current fancy. With the USG model you are stuck FOREVER with that one fix.

Granted, you can tear out the USG sight and install one of those after-market rails....but I would imagine that kind of solution is inferrior to just getting the tri-rail model in the first place.

After all, the tri-rail is designed for OPTIONS, OPTIONS, OPTIONS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ick wrote:
I still don't see the advantage of the USG sight over a tri-rail.

Why be locked in to the blocky integrated sitght when there are a myriad of GREAT third party sights that fit on the tri-rail?
well the thing is the ps90 is going to be one more rifle to the collection so I am really trying to get one as cheap as possible but still be happy with it (if that makes sense =p). The Tri rail would be the same price as model with the USG sight. It would cost me an extra few hundred dollars for the aftermarket scope plus mount. If I could get the Tri rail for 1100-1200 I would go for it but lately everythings been high lately.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Remember, Hill-Obama is going to take away your right to purchase such a rifle as this in the future.....so you better GET WHAT YOU WANT NOW.

In a few months you won't be able to buy ANY EVER AGAIN...well unless you manage to buy one from an existing owner for a huge pile of cash.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
jimboutilier said:
Is that the only real difference or is their something fundamentally different about the USG (like an etched reticle)?
BINGO!
Its a black etched recticle, with much brighter tritium bars for night time. The FOV is small but its a both eyes open sight so you don't really notice it.
Also, one thing it has over the TR is it has Back Up Iron Sights.
Which you would have to add to a TR. Also, unlike the TR, you can always add an optic to the PS90 USG but you can not add a USSS/USG sight to a TR.
I have both a TR and a USG and I prefer the USG overall.

If you really can't make up your mind, then just do what I did and get both :-D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tq tran wrote:
If you really can't make up your mind, then just do what I did and get both
would love to but easier said than done for a 20 year old =p. I just bought a m&p15t and acog last month and I already am addicted to the ps90. I think I will go for the black usg model later this month( bills first =p). Best price I could find was about 1600 plus tax at a local dealer(okay price?).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I 1st bought a white rec gun. Hadn't done my research + paid too much for a white rec gun. This time I checked guns america and gun broker for prices. After asking the group the same ? you're asking, I ended up getting getting both from CDNN (price was the same $1517) + $20 transfer + $10 background, but no taxes. Plus FN is doing a promo for the TRs, giving a free C-more red dot w/purchase. Need reciept, copy of 4477, and form off FN website. 4wks to process. Don't know what you do for a sight in the mean time. Went to the range today with a Zeiss red dot on the TR, and the usg. They are both tons beter than the white rec. In the day light kinda leaned toward the usg, but you can keep your head up w/the red dot (more comfortable). But after getting home and cleaning them it started getting dark, and the usg is not as good as a low light sight as any red dot. Where the white rec disappears in light backgrounds the blk rec goes away in dark backgrounds before the tritium kicks in. I haven't put a rail on my white rec yet, but there was a member that got a killer looking mt. from TROS, very low profile for either mini acog or aimpint ML. I'm gonna do the aimpoint mt. Final choice, TR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had another question if someone could help me out with. I currently have a acog ta01 with the gg&g accucam mount for my ar15. would i be able to attach and detach it to the Tri Rail on the ps90? I was thinking if I went with the Tri Rail version I could use my acog til the C more sight came in. Just a thought=p.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea all the 1913 rail stuff will swap. What power is your acog? I have like the 1st yr it's a 4x. A little much for close up. The tritium is starting to die around the edges. CDNN is easy to deal with. 1st time for guns ,but I've bought a bunch of mags from them. 195 lf ammo was I think 699/ 2000 [/b]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the same boat as you on choosing between the old and new model of the ps90. What I decided on was getting the older white site and buying the Rem 2 ( 3-4 week backorder). so for $1250 and the cost of a REM 2, I feel like im ahead of the game since now I would be able to control the brightness levels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts