FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend we had some crappy weather. Just above freezing, drizzly to rainy, and thick blown fog.
A great day to go camping and do some field testing I thought.
My eldest PS90 with an internal laser and EoTech was put to the test. I carried it in my hands as I walked around looking for tinder and a good place to sleep. I found it natural to carry but it started feeling quite heavy. A sling would have been useful.
The weapon and optic were soon dripping wet. A little rust appeared in the flash suppressor.
Although beaded with water the EoTech still gave a useful picture.
The laser was a lot of fun in the thick fog. It looked like a thick, tangible, star wars death ray.
Later, as I was fixing a shelter, the weapon got covered in mud and debris from my hands and from the ground where it lay. It was colder now and neat ice crystals were forming on the metal surfaces. The EoTech was less useful now because condensate fog was instantly forming on the glass surfaces. This fog instantly reformed after being wiped off. It was one of those rare cases where iron sights would have been nice, but not absolutely necessary: with both eyes open I saw the hologram imposed onto the clear view from my non-sight eye.
Once I had my shelter up I wiped the weapon dry and took it apart to see how the internals fared. I was glad to find the ammo, moving parts group, and chamber area dry and rust free. The bore too, I had managed to keep dry.
In the morning I cocked the PS90 and shot at an old beer can that was 30 or 40 yards away, it hoped every time I pulled the trigger and, satisfied after four or five shots, I ejected the round from the chamber, and headed for my car.
The PS90 held up better than me and most of the other gear I was playing with. The carbon steel hatchet and knife I was using were heavily spotted with rust in the morning, despite spending the night out of their sheaths and protected from the precipitation.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Interesting review. I don't think I've seen anyone give this type of review.

The lesson learned???? Stay in a hotel! :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
857 Posts
You are braver then I to take a $1500 + gun out in the rain and mud.
I'm sure it can take the abuse, I just would be scared to do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts