FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As others will say, there is a paid gorilla at FN that torques the flash hiders on the 20s. I decided that today was the day I was going to put a Surefire mount on the 20s. I didn’t locktite is as I have two cans - a Surefire Socom 7.62 RC2 and an OSS 7.62 can. I’m going to mount the OSS on an HK 762, so figured I’d mount the Surefire on this one - but I may end up getting another OSS mount if I like the OSS can better than the Surefire. Got a few other rifles I can use the Surefire on.

Here’s the starting point:

So, yeah, it’s on there pretty tight. I stripped the gun and removed the barrel:

And then put it in a workbench vice. In my mind I had planned to go get some leather scraps but forgot to do that, so I tossed a leather glove around the barrel and put it in place. Worked just fine:

Then I put a little heat, about 30 seconds on the flash hider and it spun right off.

The real work came on getting that little ring around the base off. I started with a fine hacksaw blade and got tired of that (I’m pretty lazy…), and eventually taped up the barrel and took a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to it. I couldn’t figure out any other way to do it.

:)

Got it off in about ten seconds with the dremel and put on the Surefire mount and tightened it down.

Then I put it all back together, torqued the barrel T25s down to 62 in/lb and mounted a scope. The scope is a Vortex Viper PSTII 3-15×44 FFP MRAD. Not my first choice, but it’s something I took off another gun. It’s ok, but I’d really like to get a higher end Night Force for it, or - if I win the lottery - a S&B. We’ll see.

Total time, start to finish on this project? About 45 minutes. Heat (and the dremel tool) made all the difference.

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was a huge pain in the ass getting the flash hider off my 308 barrel, but the brake on my 6.5 barrel spun off with ease.

Keep us posted on which suppressor you go with, I have a friend who is having a hard time getting his jetted properly. Both of my barrels run great, suppressed and unsuppressed, with the RC2 after swapping jets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the 20s to the range today. Mounted the Surefire warcomp flash hider yesterday and was eager to get it to the range to see how it performed. Can is the Surefire 762 Socom RC2. Spent the whole afternoon at the range and it worked very well. I was using 168g ball ammo as I just wanted to experiment. Figured I’d leave the match ammo for another time.

Also recently (like yesterday) added a Vortex scope that I had to dial in.

All in all, everything worked like a charm. Nailed steel targets at 300 rds all afternoon.

i bought this gun over a year ago and today was the first time I took it out to shoot. I had plans (and still do) to purchase a quality scope for it. I’m kicking around a higher end Nightforce and haven’t saved my pennies yet, so it just sat. I was offered an HK Friends of Industry discount (40% off list) shortly after buying the 20s and decided to purchase an HK MR762 LRP III package - which included the Vortex scope below. It’s an ok scope, but not quite what I want, so now that means I “need” to buy two high-end scopes… lol. Anyway, I’ve been shooting the HK a lot over the last year. I decided to move this scope to the 20s when I mounted the Surefire can.

The trigger on the 20s is easily 20x better than the stock HK trigger, which makes sense as the 20s ships with the Geissele trigger. Now I did buy the Geissele trigger for the HK but haven’t put it in yet. I was literally shocked in comparing the two triggers. So, yeah, good one on FN for including the Geissele trigger in the 20s. It makes a HUGE difference.

Camera accessory Machine gun Air gun Shotgun Camera lens

Goggles Machine gun Air gun Plant Trigger

And a fun video…

😁

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I went back today to index the Surefire adapter. The manual that comes with the can has a pretty interesting chart that tells you which shims & the quantity of shims to use to index the adapter to the six o’clock position. Was surprised it worked as well as it did. Removed the muzzle device, added the shims, and torqued it to 30 ft/lbs and, sure enough, the index was at 6 o’clock. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts