FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought one in FDE from another forum member, took an almost 6hr round trip to pick it up but worth it to save the hassle of a transfer plus no one in govt. knowing I have one. First impression was wow it has an ambi mag release, sweet. second impression was disassembly is not very intuitive, read the manual thoroughly. The trigger while heavy is crisp. Next step is find a good scope within the $1200 range and an Ergo grip,can't stand a pistol grip with the rigid finger groove that ever fits my finger. One question. I found a bright blue film of corrosion in the flash hider and in the gas plug, but none on he piston and none on the swab I ran through the barrel. It came off easily with Hoppes and Qtips so no problem there. I've ran a lot of different ammo through my FAL & .308 AR including surplus Malaysian and I've never encountered this before. What could cause this kind of buildup to occur only on the parked parts but not on the bare steel of the piston? And I know pics or it didn't happen so here goes my first attempt at posting a picture. Including an older cousin also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Congrats on the 17!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Looks great! Why kind of scope are you wanting?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Bought one in FDE from another forum member, took an almost 6hr round trip to pick it up but worth it to save the hassle of a transfer plus no one in govt. knowing I have one. First impression was wow it has an ambi mag release, sweet. second impression was disassembly is not very intuitive, read the manual thoroughly. The trigger while heavy is crisp. Next step is find a good scope within the $1200 range and an Ergo grip,can't stand a pistol grip with the rigid finger groove that ever fits my finger. One question. I found a bright blue film of corrosion in the flash hider and in the gas plug, but none on he piston and none on the swab I ran through the barrel. It came off easily with Hoppes and Qtips so no problem there. I've ran a lot of different ammo through my FAL & .308 AR including surplus Malaysian and I've never encountered this before. What could cause this kind of buildup to occur only on the parked parts but not on the bare steel of the piston? And I know pics or it didn't happen so here goes my first attempt at posting a picture. Including an older cousin also.

They do now..........

·
Registered
505 Posts
Something corrosive was most likely shot through it. Not sure if it was just corrosive primers. Sounds like it cleaned off with out a problem. As far as your scope check out the Night Force 2.5-10x32mm or 42mm. There are some in or close to that price range.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something corrosive was most likely shot through it. Not sure if it was just corrosive primers. Sounds like it cleaned off with out a problem. As far as your scope check out the Night Force 2.5-10x32mm or 42mm. There are some in or close to that price range.
Thanks, I was thinking maybe old surplus ammo was used, something this rifle will never see again unless it's the only ammo left on earth. As far as scopes, I'm looking for something in the 3-10 or 3-14, rugged enough, but I need to find more info on he pros/cons of first focal plane versus 2nd.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Paid cash, handshake sealed the deal.
O ok happy you finally got your 17.
Even though no bill of sale is totally legal, i prefer to cover my arse with one --just incase, I mean you never know if that thing could turn up hot and you will be held liable if you have no documentation stating that you got it from mr x at Y time and date. Anyways good luck and hope you enjoy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts