FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time gun owner and have been researching, renting and practicing for a while. Many thanks to everyone on the forums. Your reviews, comments and advice have been incredibly helpful. I am looking to take my CWP class shortly and had narrowed my choices to 3 handguns after trying everything I could get me hands on. The Glock 23, Ruger SC40, and the FNS40 were the finalists. I am a lefty so the ambidextrous features of the gun are just perfect. I love the feel and action of the gun and purchased it Friday night at PA (in Columbia) after one last range rental.

Frog lubed it and thoroughly checked everything Friday night and meet a buddy at the range Saturday. The first few rounds were great. Night sites worked perfectly, gun felt great. Then suddenly after the forth shot the mag dropped our of the bottom. Startled, I picked it up, inserted it and finished the remaining shots. The other two mags worked flawlessly. Reloaded all three and started again (not remembering which one dropped out.) Second mag in the set after threes or four shot suddenly hit the floor. This time I set that one aside, examined it used the remaining rounds but singled it out. Third set, troubled mag dropped out after a few shots. I removed the remaining rounds and put it aside. I finished shooting the 150 rounds with the good mags and the gun is just awesome.

The born on date is 4/2012 and when I saw that I was a little concerned due to the reports of QC problems during that time frame. I of course walked right up to the guy who sold me the gun the night before and got a BS response from him and another salesman at the counter that was less than adequate. (my personal review of PSA Columbia was getting mixed marks due to that a few other things.) Walked around and found a Manger, his response was also not as good as it could have been but I wasn't going to let that ruin the day. I will be calling FN Monday, I hope they are more helpful in resolving the unfortunate situation.

Regardless, this forum is awesome. Thanks again to everyone here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds to me like it is a mag issue not a gun issue. I bet someone will be on shortly to give you some pointers on how to fix.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
RJ-first congrats on your new purchase and you will not be sorry. Give customer service a call and remember your manners and just be honest with what happend. They can be reached here:

Welcome to the forum and please let us know what they say?

http://www.fnhusa.com/r/support/service/

SERVICE

If your firearm should require service or repairs, you may send your firearm directly to our own Service Department using this service form. For technical questions regarding your firearm or service, please call our Customer Support Manager at 800-635-1321.

FNH USA Service Department
3005 Arnold Tenbrook Rd
Arnold, Missouri 63010-9406
Phone: 800-635-1321

Returning your firearm for service

When returning your firearm for service, be sure to follow the guidelines below:

Use this service form.
Be sure your gun is completely unloaded.
Package it securely in a double-packed cardboard container.
Enclose the service form with your firearm that clearly describes the nature of your repair concerns or service desired. If the service form is NOT included with your firearm your service will be delayed.
Include a day time phone number where you can be reached.
Never return ammunition with your firearm. It is against postal and most commercial regulations.
Remove all accessories. FNH is not responsible for lost or damaged aftermarket accessories.
If you have any further questions, call Customer Support at 800-635-1321.
IMPORTANT: FNH USA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE INCURRED DURING SHIPPING.

Service Tracking

·
Registered
469 Posts
FN and Sig semiauto pistols have always worked the best for me! Good luck, but definitely have FNH check your new baby.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info BigBuckeyeGuy. I am thinking magazine issue as well. Just a bit disconcerting but it's definitely not a deal breaker. Like I said, I will call them Monday and get the one problem resolved and not create another with a poor attitude. I will use the other mags that have worked flawlessly and see how it performs this week.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I agree...maybe you can try to disassemble the mag to check it out? Worst case you can just send the mag back to them. I will see if I can find anything on mag disassembly and report back:)

Thanks for the info BigBuckeyeGuy. I am thinking magazine issue as well. Just a bit disconcerting but it's definitely not a deal breaker. Like I said, I will call them Monday and get the one problem resolved and not create another with a poor attitude. I will use the other mags that have worked flawlessly and see how it performs this week.

·
Premium Member
13,374 Posts
Congrats! On your new FNS-40:? Sorry to hear about your mag issues call fn they will replace it for you.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
http://www.fnhusa.com/files/7913/7649/8293/FNSManualFinal.pdf

A link to the manual which I know you have but thought it might help. Page 37, section 17.7 in the attached,linked .pdf. Give it a try, clean it and see if you notice anything different on the interior or exterior of the mag that fails versus the other two mags that work. Again, good luck.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I'm wondering if the specs on the mags are the same (same placement of the tab, width and length of the mag). If you have a micrometer, if might tell you if the bad mag is out of spec compared to the other two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
djv38, good idea but first need to find a micrometer.

For the record- I called them today, explained the situation and was told please send it to us and we will take care of it. I plan on boxing it up tomorrow and sending it on its way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Followup.... Very satisfied with the FNS40!

Just to follow up, I received a post card last week stating that the mag arrived at their repair department.

On another note, 750 rounds later I have not had any issues with the 3 remaining mags dropping during firing. The trigger now feels incredible. I am really really pleased with the feel after it has been broken in. The gun has lived up to my expectations and I am really enjoying the range time.

As an aside, for anyone looking for a good 9mm I saw that the PSA has the FNS9 on sale for $499.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good follow up. Glad to hear everything is running smoothly now. I still haven't fired my FN FNS40 yet. Kinda embarrassing as I got it back in December!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to follow up, I received a post card last week stating that the mag arrived at their repair department.

On another note, 750 rounds later I have not had any issues with the 3 remaining mags dropping during firing. The trigger now feels incredible. I am really really pleased with the feel after it has been broken in. The gun has lived up to my expectations and I am really enjoying the range time.

As an aside, for anyone looking for a good 9mm I saw that the PSA has the FNS9 on sale for $499.
I ordered one of those last week when they went on sale. Still haven't gotten it yet, one of my local shops got a L in and I got impatient. Went full retard on FNs this week I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roger- There is only one way to remedy that situation. Get some ammo and get to the range!

JD- enjoy! Haven't shot a SCAR yet, something to look forward to. Only not great thing I have heard about them then was from some friends overseas. The reciprocating charging handle rips the crap out of your hands in full auto (but you won't run into that problem over here..maybe lol). If I could I would get an FNX 45. Shot it multiple time and it feels great and they hit every spot I aimed. It's funny how many new FN owners I run into at the range. Great Guns!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They sent me a new Mag! Unfortunately it is for an FNP 40. I'm laughing to myself and taping up the box to ship it back and requesting the correct replacement. Oh well

·
Registered
272 Posts
i had a sticky mag release button on my FNX45... they're very similar. does yours feel like it doesn't pop right back out after you press it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2k2 no my mag release wasn't sticking at all. I am pretty confident it has to do with the raised tab in the front side of the mag. The tiny pin that holds it in place most likely found an imperfection and it wouldn't lock properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts