FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there's any way to get a new fire control assy for my FNP9m? I'd like an SAO group for it too, but i wonder if FN would actually sell them? I can put the thing in myself obviously, it takes like 30 seconds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know about the FN assemblies, But Browning lists the Pro 9 DA/SA/C&L assembly for $140.00.

I myself won't be buying one. Because frankly the "Cocked and Locked" zealots are not thinking a three position lever though very well.

FN thought long and hard about whether or not to go with the Browning three position lever and I believe, they came to the conclusion that in most cases the stress of quick reaction response, would lead even trained users, to inadvertently decock the weapon while releasing the safety, during an emergency fast draw. Taurus had this problem when they went from the old 1911 type safety, to a three position with a decock on the old Taurus 92's and 99's in the late 80's and the problem is not uncommon amongst users of the much vaunted H&K USP family who elect to carry DA/SA cocked and locked.

Yes, I know that suggesting one should be trained well enough, with the pistol they are carrying, that DA/SA shouldn't matter and that if they're close enough you don't have time to pull the hammer back, DA vs SA, isn't going to matter anyway, is pretty much heresy around the gun boards now days. To hear the SA zealots talk one has to wonder how anybody ever got killed with any pistol that wasn't a 1911.

FN will be offering a SA model, for those that just absolutely have to have it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was mostly just curious, I prefer the DA/SA decock only. I'm not familiar with my pistols enough to think to disengage a safety if SHTF, I like the idea of just being able to yank the trigger and it goes bang.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, One of the best things about the FNP's, Is that FNH Got the ergonomics of the hammer right. From half cock, the FNP's commander style hammer is very easy to manipulate.

If you have the time and distance to do a single action shot. Pulling the hammer back and going SA is very easy with this pistol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what FN said about converting an existing fire assembly

I am looking at the FNP-9 pretty hard, but have paused a beat because the grip I habitually use involoves holding my thumb over the safety. 1911 muscle memory. I can just see me de-cocking at the worst possible moment.
So I was curious if the FNP can be converted from one fire assembly to another (e.g. DA/SA to SA) HK does it, so why not FN?
I emailed FN and they responded same day: "Conversions are not available at this time!"

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try to get the SAO version of the FNP, it's got a manual safety instead. Unfortunately I doubt that any shop would get one for you just to look at and feel, I believe they'd expect you to purchase it. FNPs are great pistols, I'm curious about the SAO version myself, but I honestly prefer a saftetyless decocking DA/SA pistol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I called FN and talked to BOB and Browning. Neither group are willing to sell you the parts to do the conversion. I have tried and tried and either they have a personal hatred of me or they will not sell this part to anyone.

If you can prise one out of the fingers let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If a business does not work to serve its customer, then customer loyalty is only as good as the lack of a better alternative. Words for a business to live & die by.
Bought another brand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wonder if replacing the FNP FCG with the Browning Pro (See bold below) w/o the split sear would be an option in correcting the FNP FCG problems?

What'd ya ya think?

Evopsych said:
I don't know about the FN assemblies, But Browning lists the Pro 9 DA/SA/C&L assembly for $140.00.
I myself won't be buying one. Because frankly the "Cocked and Locked" zealots are not thinking a three position lever though very well.

FN thought long and hard about whether or not to go with the Browning three position lever and I believe, they came to the conclusion that in most cases the stress of quick reaction response, would lead even trained users, to inadvertently decock the weapon while releasing the safety, during an emergency fast draw. Taurus had this problem when they went from the old 1911 type safety, to a three position with a decock on the old Taurus 92's and 99's in the late 80's and the problem is not uncommon amongst users of the much vaunted H&K USP family who elect to carry DA/SA cocked and locked.

Yes, I know that suggesting one should be trained well enough, with the pistol they are carrying, that DA/SA shouldn't matter and that if they're close enough you don't have time to pull the hammer back, DA vs SA, isn't going to matter anyway, is pretty much heresy around the gun boards now days. To hear the SA zealots talk one has to wonder how anybody ever got killed with any pistol that wasn't a 1911.

FN will be offering a SA model, for those that just absolutely have to have it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts