FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you gents go for your firearms replacement insurance coverage? I have mine thru da NRA....But, (alwayz a butt).... There must be other options to look at...

So what say you!

·
Registered
431 Posts
extended coverage on my home owners. before then renters insurance just for them.

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I would do some serious research before using someone other than the NRA. I have heard stories where people have contacted their homeowners insurance company about a firearms rider and their response was OOOOOOOH you have firearms in your home eh. Then they find out that they have been placed in a high risk category like those who own certain dog breeds and their liability insurance goes up. Insurance companies like to share such information and you might end up in a giant data base somewhere with a red flag on you dossier which would likely be accessible to the feds as well. Now mind you that these are internet reports so take them for what that is worth. I also tend to be a little bit more paranoid over such things than maybe the average gun owner, but I certainly find the stories plausible considering the anti-gun environment in corporate America. I would like to think the NRA would be more discrete with the information about their clients. I also believe I recall reading that the NRA insurance doesn't even require you to provide the serial numbers of your firearms just a description of them. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use my how owners insurance, but had to get a special rider in addition to the default coverage which was only like $2500. Might look into NRA insurance, didn't even think of that.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
noone is scared of handguns serial numbers being given to police when purchasing handguns

noone is scared of rifle/shot gun serial numbers given to atf when wanting sbr/sbs(this is probably why I havent filed a single sbr yet)

so really whats left with keeping serial numbers private lol always been curious about this

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
noone is scared of handguns serial numbers being given to police when purchasing handguns

noone is scared of rifle/shot gun serial numbers given to atf when wanting sbr/sbs(this is probably why I havent filed a single sbr yet)

so really whats left with keeping serial numbers private lol always been curious about this
I don't give the police or anyone serial number information when purchasing a firearm. I live in a free state. Giving the ATF SN info when applying for NFA items is a necessary evil. If you want them, then you must provide the info. Any serial numbered items the ATF knows about is a very short list of all my stuff. I am not going to chance everything else ending up in some easily accessible data base. If there is a serial number in a data base tied to your name, then you have established an ownership chain. There are my reasons to your curiosity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have used the NRA insurance for several years now. Very easy to get. Give them a total value you want covered, and send a check. No list of assets required, except for any individual items valued over $2500. They don't even ask if you have a safe.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
I have most of my firearms as a rider on my homeowners policy. The rest are covered by the policy itself. I have USAA, and have run into no issues with them and guns.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have Traveler's and have a rider on it. $88 a year for $5000 worth of guns, which is 3 pistols, a 22 and a scar. I was really impressed, actually, because I was told that if ANYTHING happened to the gun including (and this was the sales lady, so forgive her ignorance) spilled a drink on the gun and hurt it, you can get reimbursed. I also think am pretty sure I don't have a deductible (I did check). I will STRONGLY urge going with the rider (an extra policy) on your homeowner/renter's insurance IF you don't go with the NRA policy. The standard Homeowner's typically covers VERY little on your guns (standard Traveler's is $1000 worth of guns with a $500 deductible). I didn't find out about the NRA insurance till later.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Homeowner's insurance combined with a basic (my hoard is modest) NRA policy.

The insurance company (Trident) detailed what is not covered, and which types of items (including firearms, art, jewelry, collections, electronics) that would require special added insurance up front. So there were no nasty surprises. The price for the policy additions is reasonable, certainly much less than yearly flood insurance in my area.

I've also had a renters' policy with Statefarm in a large urban area with no hiccups or outlandish costs, the whole thing was less than $200 a year afair.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
you might end up in a giant data base somewhere

I also believe I recall reading that the NRA insurance doesn't even require you to provide the serial numbers of your firearms just a description of them. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about that.
Your "paranoia" is understandable, but realistically if you've gone through NICS, the feds know you have guns. Does the serial number and specific make/model matter? If they want those details, all they have to do is visit the FFL your purchase was logged at.

You make a good point about not providing make/model/serial of your firearms to insurance agencies. My insurance companies (see above) never asked me how many, or what I own. Only the total value I wanted to be insured against. If you're insured for a certain amount and can provide some proof that you actually owned the items in question (pictures, receipts, etc.), that should be enough?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Im in the process with Collectibles Insurance - Protecting Books, Stamps, Antiques and other Rare and Vintage collections in Baltimore, Maryland. I did alot of research and couldnt find any bad reviews, and they under write for a financially strong company.

A friend told me about them and he got $125,000 in coverage for $600 a year.

They want you to have a safe heavier than 300 lbs. with no wheels and a lock or a monitored alarm system. They also dont want any serial numbers on anything valued under $5,000.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Your "paranoia" is understandable, but realistically if you've gone through NICS, the feds know you have guns. Does the serial number and specific make/model matter?
You tell me. Would you rather the feds know you just bought a "long gun" or a Colt model AR15 serial number AB12345? Yes the truth be told, there is every likelihood there is an unofficial data base on all of us, but I am not going to make it the slightest bit easier on them to compile it if I can help it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts