FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a fun day today was. I finally got to pull the trigger on my Fiveseven USG. 200 FACTORY ROUNDS total today. I LOVE IT!!!!! (100) SS197SR (blue tip) and (100) SS195 (HP) Here's how it went. 100 flawless shots with the SS195 hollow points but I had a little trouble with the SS197SR rounds. Out of 100 pulls of the trigger I probably had 6 to 8 misfires with the SS197SR blue tips. Pulled the trigger and CLICK. The primmer was dimpled but it did not fire. So I put it back in and it fired on the second try. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. What do you guys think is going on? Again this only happened about 6 to 8 times and only with the SS197SR blue tips. Thank you , Mike

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
There was a bad back of ammo floating around out there - but I think it went back to over a year ago. U must have hit that.

Try some 197 from another source and see what happens.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Glad you enjoyed her :?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on guys... Any theories about why I had those misfires? I really don't think it's the firing pin. If that were the case don't you think it would not have mattered what ammo I was shooting it would have still happened anyway right? I will probably call Bob Ailes and ask him if he thinks I need a firing pin replacement or not. Interesting enough I checked the batch numbers on the SS197SR ammo I used ( batch number is on the inside of the lid) and they are different. Hmmmmm I am puzzled here. The 100 rounds of SS195LF I shot ran flawlessly. :-?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Bad ammo is all I can suggest - unless the primer between the two rounds is different (one is harder than the other?) - if that is the case, it could be a firing pin issue.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Last year, I was shooting SS197SR through the '90 and she chewed through it flawlessly, however, I started shooting SS195 through it and it jammed about halfway through the mag. I took off the mag and the round was pointing down and the bolt had it pinned against the barrel. Craziest thing ever...Hasn't happened since though. :?

·
Registered
475 Posts
sounds ammunition related I've shot ss195 and ss197 through two ps90's and one five seven without any malfunctions. a second option is to make sure you clean your weapon really well make sure there is no lube/grease in the firing pin channel

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I know cleaning wasn't the issue...i just put it down as a freak event. An another not, every other shoot I have the guns sonic cleaned and they get an oil bath....hmmmm gun heaven :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Best thing to try is a couple more boxes of SS197SR from a different lot number and see if the problem goes away. It could be a combination of things, but using this process of elimination means you get to shoot more!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
gw45acp said:
Best thing to try is a couple more boxes of SS197SR from a different lot number and see if the problem goes away. It could be a combination of things, but using this process of elimination means you get to shoot more!
:? :?

·
Administrator
11,218 Posts
Sounds like bad ammo. Get a set of calipers and do some measurements if you want. This will eliminate whether it is the brass of some other external factor that MAY be causing your FiveseveN to remain OOB to prevent it from firing.

Was it just a tiny dimple?

Until I did the above, I would not even let that ammo near my FiveseveN.

Post the ammo lot number so that others can see if they have the same ammo. I would imagine that this would get around very fast if there was a problem with the lot number.

I can not EMPHASIZE enough the need to call Bob Ailes at FNH and find out if there have been any other reports of this. I would not be surprised if they wanted the FiveseveN back if there have been no other complaints of misfires. Follow their instructions.

Only you can decide whether you want to continue to use the FiveseveN without doing any of the above. Some have been know to come apart (blow up) and there is still much debate as to whether it is the ammo or the firearm. There are several threads related to this. This is not posted to start another debate but for YOUR safety.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I am definitely calling Bob Ailes to get this resolved. I don't mind sending the Fiveseven back to him for testing either. I just want it resolved. Here are the lot numbers that I shot Saturday and had the problems with:

SS197SR Lot# 1009769106

SS197SR Lot# 0810769097

To answer your question about the dimple. I would say YES it was a small or shallow dimple. When I put the misfires(not all at the same time) back into the FiveseveN and tried a second time all the misfires FIRED on the second try.

SIDENOTE: In the OWNER'S MANUAL in the TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION there is a footnote the reads:

HAMMER STRIKES BUT NO DISCHARGE:

Defective cartridge

Hard Primers

·
Administrator
11,218 Posts
Factory ammo does not have the hard primers. Hard primers are used primarily by the military and reloaders to prevent slam fires.

Two different lot numbers of SS197SR with the same problem? Looks more like the FiveseveN itself instead of the ammo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HK SD9 Tactical said:
Factory ammo does not have the hard primers. Hard primers are used primarily by the military and reloaders to prevent slam fires.

Two different lot numbers of SS197SR with the same problem? Looks more like the FiveseveN itself instead of the ammo.
Than why did the FiveseveN have 0 malfunctions firing 100 rounds of SS195LF?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I don't think anyone here can answer your question. I'd call FN. They will probably pay shipping both ways and will look at your weapon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ShipWreck said:
I don't think anyone here can answer your question. I'd call FN. They will probably pay shipping both ways and will look at your weapon.
I plan on it ShipWreck. I will keep you guys posted on what happens. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. :?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: Spoke to Bob at FN and it may not be the ammunition causing the light strikes on the primers. Sending the Fiveseven in to be checked out. I will update once I get her back. :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Good deal! Good luck to you sir! Did you call him? :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
iCeMaN said:
Good deal! Good luck to you sir! Did you call him? :eek:
Hey bro , yeah I called Bob Ailes and I also spoke to Tommy Thacker. These guys are AMAZING and super cool guys to talk to. They really care about their customers. I am confident once I get my FiveseveN back it will be PERFECT. By the way Iceman , you ever gonna get that pic of your Fiveseven with the slide back for me so I can see your barrel for a comparison? Geeeeez bro :x Talk to ya soon , Mike

1 - 20 of 35 Posts