FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my FiveSeven out yesterday to an open range and had several non fires (not sure correct term) where the firing pin dented the primer but no ignition. This was with factory 197s. I don't think this is just limp wrisiting as it happened with several other shooters that were with me. Any advice appreciated, I looked here but didn't find any specific help. I don't think it is the ammo as the dented rounds were reloaded and fired.

ADMIN EDIT - LINK REMOVED.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Sorry. But that link to the Five Seven Forum is against forum rules... You are disguising the link when you do it as well, so you clearly know it isn't to be done. This is the third of your 5 total posts that you have done this.

Please read the forum rules and do not do this again. It appears to me that you are here to promote the other forum.

3. If you have made posts on other FN forums you are welcome to reproduce the information here. Please do not post links to other FN forums - otherwise your post may be removed. Links to ANY OTHER forums for reference material are welcome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
misfires: pistol

Theres only a couple major causes of no ignition. A bad primer, hard , dead or seated to deep. A light strike, or no hit at all. Limp wrist has nothing at all to do with the misfire problem.

If the primers were hit and a significant dent was evident, it would seem to be a primer problem. IF there was only a very small mark, as in the feed divot seen on AR15/M16 rds that havent been fired and ejected when clearing the weapon, then you may have a mechanical problem.

The pistol may not have been in battery.

The firing pin safey plunger is not clearing the cut in the pin.

there may be crud or something between the round cross pin in the slide behind the firing pin hood and the hood itself. this will cause the firing pin to be held slightly fwd and will not recieve the full impact of the hammer. this doesnt take much,as the hammer will hit the slide boss before it hits the pin, hence no energy into the pin, no impact of the proper energy to the primer. the FP travel is only .100+- so the loss of any energy is to be avoided.

I would recommend eliminating the mechanical possiblities before condemning the ammo This should give you a staring point, if no success, send the piece to FN .

·
Registered
181 Posts
My first time out with my Five-seveN I had two failures to fire. Both times the slide was not all the way forward being shy of full battery by 1/16 of an inch or so. I don't recall the primers being dented. I don't think I really took a look at them.

Both of those times I loaded the gun by just racking the slide. After the second time I now load the pistol by releasing the slide release and letting the slide go forward smartly. Since then I haven't had that same problem and I've probably put another 200 rounds through the gun.

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
Someone else here had the same issue with the factory SS197SR but not the SS195LF. Dented primers but a failure to fire. It is my understanding that he spoke with both Bob Ailes and Tommy T at FN and they had him send the firearm back to them to have it checked out. We are still waiting for the results of FNs examination and determination whether it is the FiveseveN or the ammo.

I suggest that you do the same and call Bob Ailes at FN.

Post the lot numbers of the SS197SR you used if you still have the boxes on hand.

A 'sticky' about this issue with the SS197SR and the lot numbers and FTF (if one does not already exist) may be warranted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry,

Hey sorry, I run my own website www.mobilegadgetnews and our custom is to do a proper http=Key Word, just a habit. However I am very grateful for the solid advice I am getting on this firing pin issue. I have thoroughly cleaned the gun and will give it another try before I call FN and see what they think. I am also going to lap the chamber on my Jarvis barrel to see if that helps with my ejection problem shooting subsonics.

regards,
abatis

ShipWreck said:
Sorry. But that link to the Five Seven Forum is against forum rules... You are disguising the link when you do it as well, so you clearly know it isn't to be done. This is the third of your 5 total posts that you have done this.

Please read the forum rules and do not do this again. It appears to me that you are here to promote the other forum.

3. If you have made posts on other FN forums you are welcome to reproduce the information here. Please do not post links to other FN forums - otherwise your post may be removed. Links to ANY OTHER forums for reference material are welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts