FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like some of you I mostly shoot mil ammo with my AR15's and FS2k.
and I have been having the reported 5 to 20% trouble of bullets not going bang in my fs2k which really.... I mean really ... pisses me off.
I know this sounds insane but I decreased the amount of lubrication I was using (not that I was using alot) and this seemed to help a little.

I also have one of the earlier versions with the original politically incorrect trigger pack.
So if I send the gun back to FN to get the firing pin looked at I am afraid they will swap out my trigger pack as well.

So are there any dangers involved by removing the spring? I know the original FN firing pin had no spring and there was talk about some type off accidental auto firing. Have they come out with a new firing pin as of yet?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I probably have 2000+ rounds with the firing pin spring removed without a problem either detonating a milsupr round or . It is not a big deal, just peal the spring off the captive firing pin spring. You may need some needle nosed pliers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I fired M855 surplus (only thing I shoot) through mine, with the spring, with no problems. But, I didn't want to take the chance of no ignition (home defense gun, not a safe-queen), so I removed the spring. I looked after chambering/ejecting without firing and it definitely leaves a firing pin indentation in the primer. Then took it to the range again...no slam-fires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I fired M855 surplus (only thing I shoot) through mine, with the spring, with no problems. But, I didn't want to take the chance of no ignition (home defense gun, not a safe-queen), so I removed the spring. I looked after chambering/ejecting without firing and it definitely leaves a firing pin indentation in the primer. Then took it to the range again...no slam-fires.
That's a good observation Jim... Out of curiosity, what kind of ammo did you hand cycle? Was it Mil-Surplus or Commercial? I've seen some very light primer marks with most every rifle I own when hand cycling ammo through the action.

I think FNH made that FP spring just a little too heavy IMO. I think the lighter FP alone would likely cure the original slam fire issue, especially with Mil ammo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Strictly Mil surplus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts