FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2500 rounds I had my first failure with the FNX40. It was a failure to feed. I dropped the mag and cleared the round, inserted the mag and racked the slide. Same thing. Repeated the routine 3 more times with the same result. It appears that for whatever reason the extractor must have been stuck. I locked the slide back and worked the extractor several times with my finger, loaded up again and no more problems!

I've never had this issue with any brand of pistol I've owned. I think it must have been a fluke incident.

Anyone else ever hear of this happening? If so, what caused it?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like it needs a good cleaning. With that many rounds fired thru it, I would remove the extractor and firing pin then give it a very good cleaning.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
^^^^This^^^^:th_ditto:

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Yup, it's amazing how dirty extractors can get. I generally remove and clean the extractors on my pistols every 1500-2000 rounds (although, my carry guns, I clean them a bit more often)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise and djv38 for the link. Took it apart and cleaned it tonight. Dirty, yes, but I didn't see anything that would bind it. Time will tell, well lubed now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I wasn't sure how dirty it would be with 2(00 rounds. I just recently conducted a firing pin/ extractor check on some beretta 92d pistols. They had between 7,000 and 10,000 rounds thru them. It looked like chunks of boot polish in them. Hopefully FN doesn't get near as dirty. Time will tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got FNX 9 and I find it fairly easy to clean. Of course, I am not talking about a complete cleaning, as described in the link for the FNP 9 and 40. I believe that if did such a complete teardown and clean up, I may end up carrying all the parts in a brown paper back to a reputable gunsmith to re-assemble. I am pretty skill doing mechanical things--including tear down and re-assembly of carburetors (remember those?). But a tear down to the level of removing firing pin and the entire feed mechanism will be way above my skill. I found it interesting that once the frame was down to the lowest level of tear down, the writer suggests to put in the dishwasher for a "good cleaning". Thanks for the tutorial and information on these guns. I don't believe that the FNX 9 is too much different to the FNP 9 when it comes to the mechanical aspects. Joe

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I've taken my FNP-9 completely down like that. It's really not that bad. The slide is pretty easy after the first time as well (although I've never pulled the rear sight off).

Trouble is on the FNX's, you need to be able to get the rear safety lever/decocker off to get the FCG out, which can be tricky or impossible without damaging them (depending on how they were attached)

Reactions: Eluzbek

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since we are on the subject of cleaning, I was always using Hoppe's solvent for cleaning, and a fine coat of Rem oil for lube. I use these on my bersa and taurus. This is my first FNx9 and I would like to get the low down on the best cleaners and lubes (maybe there is a thread already out there to address this). I am currently in the break in stage and my slide is open for a week. I will keep everyone posted on my results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts