FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying the PS90 as my first firearm of any kind. I've fired a few rounds through pistols, but never with a rifle. I've searched long and hard and feel the characteristics that make up the PS90 would be a good place to start.

I was going to pick up a H&K pistol of some kind until I stumbled upon the PS90. Up until a few weeks ago, I was unaware there was a civilian version of the P90. What's your take on the PS90 as a first gun?

Anyway, I've found a place that has the white reticle version for around $1200. I've read up on the weakness of this particular optic and the fixes (i.e. REM2) and replacements. I'd prefer to use the stock optics for now, but would you recommend going with the cheaper white site vs. spending more on the USG site? I'm not particularly interested in the tri-rail.

If I go after market, I guess I could get a rail system and a Eotech or something later down the line. Your opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think HK SD9 Tactical, asked you a #1 question that you should think about.

Almost all gun owners get asked by others "what gun should I buy", and almost all have the same answer including most everyone here, I beleave, that You have to understand what you want and don't want and what the intended firearms use will be. If I was in your shoes, I would try to find a place where I could shoot a few rifles and carbines to see if I liked shooting long arms, some don't, I know when I was in my 20's I had nothing but pistols.

The PS90 is extremely fun to shot if you enjoy a PDW. The PS90 is a fine Home defence weapon, as long as you have the right tactics, skill and will to use it. There are things that the PS90 is not well suitted for and others that it is the best at IMO. In the end, it's up to you.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I have never been a rifle person - I am right handed but left eye dominant. So, I've always just stuck to handguns.

The PS90 is my first rifle (i've shot rifles before, however) - I really like it. The ergonomics are perfect, and there is hardly any recoil at all. I managed to track someone down locally to let me try theirs, and I was hooked. I went home and ordered all the accessories for it that night. Then, I found a PS90 the following week.

Now, I am so used to it that when I try traditionally shaped rifles, I only like the PS90.

I think it would not be a bad gun for you to get. It's not some rifle with tons of recoil that will make a beginner cringe. Lots of guys here have wives who have claimed their PS90 as their own. I've even taken my sister in-law out - and she shot a few guns for the 1st time in her life (she is from china - so she never had the opportunity). She did awesome with the PS90.

If ypu can afford it - why not.

·
Registered
980 Posts
For fun you can't beat a .22
My opinion is to start out with a 10/22 and a .22 pistol
each can be had for under $300
the real deal with .22s is that each mag full of ammo is a trifling cost-
with the PS90 each mag is a real expense!

That said, the PS90 is not going to give you any trouble as a beginner. It's very easy to operate and maintain and it's suitable for home defense, and it is awesome.

·
Registered
320 Posts
First gun as a PS90???

To plink with?

I think not, although I'm just a broke ass that doesn't enjoy paying $20 for 50 rounds.

Build yourself a nice 9mm SBR'ed AR for your first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I suggest a savage model 93 17hmr for $300 bucks you canhave all sorts of fun and more range than a 22 more power but reasonable to shoot

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lokk heres my .02 buy what makes you happy if you can afford it! On may 18th birthday which seems like many many years ago now I bought a Ghalil ARM an Uzi carbine and an H&K P9S 45 all are unfourtunately long gone now but I never regreted buying them and never would have been happy with a 10/22 grat rifle and you can enjoy it but it would NEVER have been able to repalce the Ghalil or the Uzi. So if affordability arent an issue buy what you really want and like I said this is just my .02

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Xlegionaire said:
Lokk heres my .02 buy what makes you happy if you can afford it! On may 18th birthday which seems like many many years ago now I bought a Ghalil ARM an Uzi carbine and an H&K P9S 45 all are unfourtunately long gone now but I never regreted buying them and never would have been happy with a 10/22 grat rifle and you can enjoy it but it would NEVER have been able to repalce the Ghalil or the Uzi. So if affordability arent an issue buy what you really want and like I said this is just my .02
I agree :?

·
Registered
161 Posts
LOL you arent Kidding !!! I didnt read this for awhile after I wrote it and when I did I just shook my head and thought "now I look illiterate!" Oh well I wont let another one like that get out!!! and I think it was more a rush to write it then needing spell check....
:-x :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
No Problem and I didn't take it as a slam after reading it I would have been embarassed to meet anyone that read that also!!! I tam away from home more then home and was trying to catch up on some stuff I had recorded on tv and really really rushed that one through!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Now wait a minute, I thought old Lok37(The guy that started this), wanted a rifle that he could use for home defence and plinking. Now I truely enjoy a good .22 for cheap ranges thrills, but I would not consider it for home defence.

·
Registered
161 Posts
devildoc said:
Now wait a minute, I thought old Lok37(The guy that started this), wanted a rifle that he could use for home defence and plinking. Now I truely enjoy a good .22 for cheap ranges thrills, but I would not consider it for home defence.
Not to mention that he said "HE WANTED" a PS90 and asked if it was ok for a first rifle? I say YES! if affordabilty isnt an issue!

·
Registered
8 Posts
PS90 as a first gun

I'm not a gun collector any more than a golfer is a golf club collector. I am a shooter and have owned and shot several hundred firearms. Most would fall into the practice and defense categories.

While one might quibble with the caliber of the PS-90 or its available stock sights, its truly among the nicest design of any firearm I've ever owned or shot. Its small, light, quick handling and accurate. Its robust with considerable maintenance intervals and incredibly quick and easy to maintain. Its modular for easy (although not inexpensive) replacement of a maulfunctioning component.

I would replace or augment the stock sight with something like a Trijicon TriPower or REM2. Given the current political climate I would stock up on a lot of ammo and spare assemblies or a spare rifle as in the future its quite possible spare parts and supplies will become unavailable here.

But if you can afford it and the caveats don't bother you, its a heck of a start for your shooting experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts