FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the chance to pick up a decent (for Gen. I) night vision scope w/full warranty for a very good price that's small enough to work w/the PS90. It's the Yukon 1.5x42 NVRS that uses AA batteries (50hr runtime & AA's are my fav power source) and has a built-in IR illuminator & remote switch. Even though it claims to be made of titanium it weighs in at 30 ounces so a PVS-14 it's not (but then, it cost less than 1/10th as much as a PVS-14). It mounted quickly/easily w/the rubber eyeshield positioned perfectly for optimal eye relief. Picture quality is good for Gen. I but like all Gen. I it has distortion around the edges. The red crosshairs reticle is adjustable for brightness and stands out very well against the green sight picture. Switches are well placed and easy to find/manipulate. The remote switch (which can be strapped/velcroed anyplace on the rifle that's convenient) controls both the reticle (on/off) & IR illuminator (on/off) w/separate buttons. The IR illuminator is *very* bright but I'll have to wait until I can hit the range at night this weekend before I can test the max effective range of both the scope & IR illuminator. So far I'm pleased with this unit, stand by for a range report this weekend...
Tomac

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Great!
Thats the EXACT same one I've been thinking about getting.
Please tell me how you like it at the range.
I've been debating on that one to see if it would work or if I should just go ahead and pony up for a Gen II Yukon.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Also, is that a TLR-1?
If so then where did you get the IR filter for it?
I've been looking for one of those for my TLR.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, is that a TLR-1?
If so then where did you get the IR filter for it?
I've been looking for one of those for my TLR.
Yep, TLR-1. Got a flip-off red filter on it, not IR (but I'm looking for an IR filter, I'd like to see how it compares w/the Yukon's built-in IR illuminator...)
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mind if I ask how much the night vision cost.
This particular model usually runs about $399 but I got lucky and found one for $299.
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some preliminary pics until I can get to the range tonight and just in case I'm unable to get usable pics at the range. They were taken from inside my garage which is completely dark (no windows). NOTE: The reticle pics shown here are somewhat blurry due to shutter speed and the shape of the eyecup which prevents me from properly positioning the camera lens.
Tomac

This shot was taken from inside the garage using the IR illuminator w/the crosshairs at max brightness. Although I can still see w/o the IR illuminator it's not bright enough w/o it for my camera to take a pic. The garage door you see is 10yds away:

This shot was taken from the same location but with the garage door open and using only ambient light. Dark fence in the foreground is 20yds away, dark house to the left is 25yds away and the bright house in the distance is 85yds away:

Same shot as above but w/the IR illuminator on:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Range report: Unfortunately the range test was spoiled by the moon (93% full last night) so I didn't have the opportunity to test the Yukon's capabilities in full darkness as I'd hoped as I couldn't find any decent dark areas at the range and the few pics I took didn't turn out. I'm planning on going out again next weekend when the moon isn't as full or has already set.
However, I did manage to ascertain a few things while I was there. The inner 2/3 of the lens is very clear w/noticeable distortion in the outer 1/3 (the IR illuminator spot almost exactly covers the clear area). FOV is very nice, specs say 20 degrees and at 8yds appears to be 2yds wide (one of the major reasons I chose the 1.5x instead of the 2.5x). My car and gear detail were clearly visible at 100yds using only the moonlight at my back (the Yukon has an adjustable diopter so can be adjusted for differences in the user's vision).
I did find a berm that was in the moonlight's shadow and set up a single unmarked std silhouette to determine effective range of the IR illuminator. With the moon "glaring" directly into the Yukon I could distinguish the silhouette against the berm at appx 90yds and it was clear at appx 80yds. However, at *very* close range I find it too bright, causing washout. The IR illuminator does produce a dimly visible red glow when viewed from the front.
Although the Yukon can be used/tested during the day by leaving the lens cover on, the reticle (while very bright at night) isn't bright enough during full daylight to be visible so sighting in has to be done either during dusk/dawn or full dark.
While the Yukon is a 1.5x scope and not a CQB reflex sight I did run it through the tactical pits. I wouldn't recommend it for bedroom distances but for anything beyond that it appears to do well, more in-depth testing is in order.
Tomac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts