FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being happy with the height of rail-mounted optics on the PS90 or the ruggedness of most current PS90 optics rails I checked out the custom ultralow mounts offered by TROSUSA ( www.trosusa.com ). They're currently offered only for the compact ACOG & Aimpoint M-series (although I believe the Aimpoint mount would also fit other 30mm optics that are dimensionally similar to the Aimpoint like the SPOT Mk.III or Burris XTS-135) so I picked up a couple of new Aimpoint ML3's to go with the mounts.
Installation was very quick & easy, taking only a few minutes. The only tools needed were a couple of hex wrenches plus a little loctite for the Aimpoint rings. With 4 screws going through the accessory rail holes (and accessory rails will still fit) into a solid block of aluminum and a snug fit to begin with I can't see any impact damaging the mount w/o destroying the PS90 in the process.
The end result was greatly improved cheekweld (and ruggedness, IMHO) at the lowest possible height when using an Aimpoint plus the PS90's relatively poor BUIS are still usable.
The Aimpoint is the ML3 w/4moa dot since the PS90 is CQB so should be speed-oriented and doubt I'll be making shots at ranges beyond what the 4moa dot & PS90 are capable of. The Aimpoint sits too low for me to utilize the flip-ups the way I want (ie: flipping *down*) but no biggy if I don't use them. However, I am running the ARD Killflash as a user in the sandbox says it improves dot contrast and hence engagement speed under bright conditions (true! tested it myself first!) plus provides some protection to the objective lens from debris.
Well, I'm headed out to the range now to sight these puppies in, so far I'm very pleased with this mount/optic combo for the PS90!...
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tempting. Does the mount require the use of the holes on the left, or can you also use the ones on the right?
T
It requires both sets of accessory rail holes, left and right, for 4 screws total. However, accessory rails can still be used (like I did on the right side) as the screws are long enough to accomodate the thickness of the rails and still get plenty of thread.
Tomac

ETA: Just got back from the range, sight-in went surprisingly quick & easy. Tested the mag I've kept fully loaded w/50rds since I bought my first PS90 (15 months ago) and it went through 100rds w/o a hitch.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:? VERY NICE SETUP! You are always the experimentor. :cool:
Thx! It sux being a perfectionist, though... I just have to realize that my "ideal optic" just doesn't exist and will have to "settle" for something that's "only" combat-proven, extremely rugged/reliable and can be left on 24/7 for years w/o battery worries (besides, I added the spare battery module...). Sigh... ;)
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, I might have to try it with an ACOG mini
I don't remember much in the way of details but IIRC TROSUSA started these ultralow mounts specifically for a PS90 owner who wanted to mount a mini-ACOG and he was very happy w/the final result.
Tomac

·
Registered
25 Posts
WOW! I really like the TROS optic setup. Didn't know it existed until I saw your post. What good idea. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had the TROS mount for a COMP M3 for awhile now and it works perfect. I have the ACOG version on order to try out next.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW! I really like the TROS optic setup. Didn't know it existed until I saw your post. What good idea. Thanks for the post!
You're welcome! Always happy to share info on new PS90 stuff, even if I do end up playing the guinea pig!... ;)
Tomac

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Tomac: Trying to get a hold of you. Check your PMs when its working again. I have something you've been looking for :-D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got my TROSUSA.COM amipoint mt. that Tomac recommended. It is awesome. First off, I ordered it Thurs night, Mike put it in the mail Fri morn, and I recieved it today Mon. It fits perfectly, very low, But not too low. Very good quality, $99 + $6 ship, and it is sooo much better than the white rec. Thanks Mark at tros, and thanks Tomac for the !st reeview.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got the TROS Aimpoint but tried a Trijicon Tripower I had on an AR15 first. I had to switch the ARMS ring to the ARMS Tripower ring for clearance on the ring first. I'm really happy with this setup an have used the Tripower for awhile on an AR.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I think this is the best after market setup I have seen yet Great job Tomac. If I was'nt so happy with my REM2 yours is the way I would go. Still might down the road after a few more items on my wish list are paid for.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just got one of these. VERY nice set-up. Pics to come.

Got the REM2, but I find the viewport of the OEM FNH sight lacking. Will be selling my lightly used REM2 soon.

This is a great option. Nice and low mount. Very sturdy and doesn't break the bank.

**EDIT**

1 - 20 of 23 Posts