FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a brief wait, my SCAR 16 FDE arrived at my LGS Thursday. I got her home and spent a bit of time getting familiar with it. I have had an AK, AR, and Mini-14 for years so I was curious to see just how different the SCAR really is. From what I can tell, it is very solid, well made, and well thought out and designed. I very much look forward to getting some range time in. Here are some of my initial thoughts, observations, and a few questions. I have spent a lot of time reading over this forum over the past few months in preparation of buying this rifle. I have read the "first Mods" thread so many time I almost know it by heart!

Here we go....

Trigger - What were they thinking? that is one heavy trigger! So, SuperScar, Shooting Sight, or Timney? I put a Timney in my 10/22 and love it, and installation was a breeze. Two stage and adjustable are not critical to me, I just want a lighter, crisper trigger than factory. Ease of installation would be a factor...I am semi-handy but by no means a gunsmith.

Charging Handle - Yep, an E.A.C.H is in my near future.

Side Rails - Don't really need them right now. I have read pros and cons on removing. Do the front screws really have an impact on the barrel or barrel bracket? If they are removed, what is the best option for filling the holes? Shorter screws and locktite?

Selector Switch - Needs an upgrade....Magpul?

Grip - I have read there are grips that must be modded to fit....is there a good off the shelf grip that will fit?

Vertical fore grip - Grip pod? Magpul? Tango down? So many options....

Sling and mount - Thinking Blue Gear UWL w/ QD socket for the rear and Daniel Defense QD for the front. Undecided on the sling at this point.

Optic - Decisions, decisions....looking at an ACOG, just not sure. I need some magnification for these old eyes but not too much, want to keep it a CQB ready rifle.

Suppressor - Considering the AAC M4-200 or SDN-6. I like the QD feature, and with the SDN-6 I could run it on my AK, and if I get a .300 Blackout upper for my AR could use it there too. Just not sure how much louder the 7.62 can would be as opposed to a dedicated 5.56 can.

Ok that about all I can think of for now. I am about to field strip and clean it for the first time and hopefully get to the range soon!

Oh, the obligatory pics....and yes, the sticker has been removed....first mod!

photo 2(2).jpg photo 3(1).jpg

·
Registered
966 Posts
Congrats! I just recently acquired mine last week.

I slapped my ACOG mini on it and really enjoyed it. The rifle ran well. Sure there are some things i can do to make it better for me, BUT overall i was happy the way it performed out of the box.

Enjoy and stay safe :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Congrats on the 16!:?

Reactions: Richard63

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
There isn't much difference between the M4-2000 and the SDN-6 as far as quiet, I cant tell much at all when running both on the 5.56 if you are only going to buy one I'd go SDN-6.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Congrats ! Trigger is definitely the first upgrade recommended, I went with Geissele. EACH, or angled charging handle to keep from busting your knuckles. Rail covers to protect your forehand from the heat these things generate is recommended, unless you shoot with gloves or fore grip. ACOG or ELCAN and your gtg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There isn't much difference between the M4-2000 and the SDN-6 as far as quiet, I cant tell much at all when running both on the 5.56 if you are only going to buy one I'd go SDN-6.
Thanks for the info....would you say the SDN-6 on 5.56 is hearing safe in an outdoor environment?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats! I just recently acquired mine last week.

I slapped my ACOG mini on it and really enjoyed it. The rifle ran well. Sure there are some things i can do to make it better for me, BUT overall i was happy the way it performed out of the box.

Enjoy and stay safe :)
Congrats to you as well! Looking forward to putting some rounds down range with mine in the near future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats ! Trigger is definitely the first upgrade recommended, I went with Geissele. EACH, or angled charging handle to keep from busting your knuckles. Rail covers to protect your forehand from the heat these things generate is recommended, unless you shoot with gloves or fore grip. ACOG or ELCAN and your gtg.
How was the install on the Geissele? I need to do a search on Youtube....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Congrats on the new SCAR..

The video I used for reference for the Geissele is this one:

Pretty straight forward, but make sure you read the instructions as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello folks.....Well it has been almost two years and she is still evolving. But I just about have her where I want her. Only one thing left to do.....she is screaming to be SBR'ed. So, here are my questions for those who have gone down this road.....

Did you buy a short barrel assembly or have your barrel chopped? Huge price differential. LGS wants about a grand for a short barrel, I think Jarod charges around 165 + 100 for engraving. Big difference. I ask myself will I ever really go back to the 16" barrel? I have other rifles to handle longer ranges, I want my SCAR to be strictly CQB ready.

But, part of me wonders....I have tried to do everything "right". Is chopping the barrel "right"? The pro to chopping it is cost, what are the cons?

Would appreciate hearing from those of you who have SBR'ed your SCAR. All input and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance, and here are some updated pics for your viewing pleasure. I finally got a scope and dialed it in at the LGS indoor range last week. Looking forward to getting it to the outdoor range soon! Enjoy!

SCAR 1.jpg SCAR 2.jpg SCAR 3.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the factory 10" barrel for mine as I wanted to have the standard barrel available. Reason being I live roughy 40 minutes from Mississippi or Florida. If I want to take my scar across the state line, I don't have to file with the ATF , I just change the barrel and it is no longer a SBR.

That being said , I am considering sending my stock barrel to Jarod to make it a 14" with a pinned brake / flash hider. I will probably set it up to use my Silencerco Specwar or Omega.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you have no plans to swap back and forth between barrels I would save your money and get the stock chopped. I had Marvin Pitts do mine and he did an excellent job. No lose of accuracy. 185 vs. 1000 is a pretty big difference. Had the stock 10 inch barrels been more "reasonably" priced I would have gone down that road but couldn't justify that amount of money when you already have a perfectly good barrel. Marvin will also open up your gas port if asked to whatever size you want. I just took a guess from what others have said and have had zero problems both suppressed and unsuppressed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies and information. Both opinions raise valid points. I think that I am leaning toward having Jarod cut it down. I wound up in the ER last night with a torn bicep that will require surgery so saving money is a good thing right now, and God only knows when I will be able to shoot again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Man that is a good looking scar 16s. Great groups also! What range were the groups shot at? I just bought my 16s fde off gunbroker yesterday and hope it shoots this well! Sorry about your torn bicep! I bet that hurts like hell. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts