FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AIM surplus select grade Hi Power close up look. (click the "gear" doohickey bottom right of the video window to watch in HD)

Ignore the stuff about "bluing"... apparently it's coated (though if it is it's very uniform and smooth with no obvious "paint ripples."

Stupid question/s:
1. what contacts the mag safety with the slide closed, to make the mags drop free? With the slide forward, mags drop free. Slide back, they don't. I see the tab/mechanism to the right of the chamber. Does the breechface contact something with the slide closed? If so, what's the purpose of this?
2. The OEM/belgium mag doesn't release the slide stop with a loaded round in the mag and the slide locked back, if you slingshot the slide. I assume something weird with follower? Mec-Gar mags work as usual.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: When shooting, it locks back with one round left in the mag with the original belgian mag AND with one of the Mec-Gars.

Something has to be wrong... what could it be?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Two things might help. You need a magazine inserted to release locked back slide and slide does lock back after last round. Two things in you video....One the hammer is always really stiff to manually pull back, second the trigger is probably the best OEM handgun trigger I know of. It's like a reminds me of a Colt python with a fully cocked hammer. It's light and breaks like glass. I'm thinking you might need to do a complete disassemble and check each part for wear and spec. Sand/Polish everything smooth as butter and replace what is needed. While you're at it you should strip the coating and sand out any scratches and nicks. Repaint and reassemble. Do that and I guarantee it will be one of, if not your favorite 9mm handgun.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trigger is crisp but measures 7 lbs 7 oz. Nowhere near a python.

OEM the Hi Power is not known for a great trigger. after some work, yes. :D

·
Registered
876 Posts
Now you've got me wanting to test my pull weight. Be right back.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That's a Hi-Power LNIB. Maybe 500 rounds through it and keep in safe. The trigger breaks like glass at about 4-4.5Lbs Only thing I did was add the rubber hoge grips. My father and brother-law have two that I refurbished. The trigger poundage and break are much nicer on the one's I refurbished.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Damn you guys....now I have to get one!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Damn you guys....now I have to get one!!!!
Yep... I added my name to the Aim email notification reminder for the nxt shipment of HP arrivals. By the time I got around to opening email, they were already sold out. Sad thing is, Aim Surplus is a 30min drive south of me. :/

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for taking the time Justin! Looks like you got a winner for sure.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Video of shooting if interested, and you can see the last round in mag malfunctions.

click the gear doohickey bottom right after the video starts to watch in HD

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shot it again last night and only the OEM mag did it, after 5 tries. Every time. The mec-gars ran fine.

I shot one-handed with my thumb locked down to eliminate the possibility that I was bumping the slide stop.

When the slide locks back with the Belgian mag with one round left, it doesn't fully engage the stop; it's enough to lock the slide back, but as you can see from the pics it's not as high/engaged as it is with an empty Mec-Gar mag. Good idea about swapping springs and maybe the follower. Aligning the belgian and a mec-gar, the top of the follower (the ridge) is higher on the belgian mag (different type and shape) and the circular cutout for the slide stop is perhaps 1/32-1/16" further forward. I wonder if that's the culprit. First I'll try swapping the spring and follower from a mec-gar with the belgian and see if the problem is due to the follower.

Thanks all for the ideas! It's a fun pistol to shoot... and shooting one-handed I got more hits than usual with my other pistols. The trigger feels pretty dang good, actually, despite being slightly heavy. The sights have to go, though.

I shot a Glock 19 one handed with the same ammo right after just to see if recoil was different; it was. The Glock felt sort of "Kachunky".

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried swapping the Belgian mag and follower into a mec gar mag body. Ran fine. Mec gar spring won't fit into Belgian body.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First, I think you got a good example of the military contract High Power. If I read the age code on yours correctly you have a 1995 produced gun which makes it right at 20 years old... and IMHO for a 20 year old military gun, to me at least it looks nice. The yellow tape normally comes off without an issue... and I see yours came off too.

As to the heavy trigger, most people find removing the magazine interlock improves the trigger sufficiently they don't bother with a trigger job... though there are those who still get trigger jobs.

Your magazine problem, as you have found is with the old magazine, not new ones... The problem may well be as simple as a new magazine spring... replacing the spring may well solve the problem... but in truth, with new Mec-Gar magazines being around $20 (sometimes a bit less on sale) just tossing defective mags out may be the easiest course. My preferred supplier for Mec-Gar magazines is Greg Cote:

www.gregecotellc.com

Cote has extremely fast shipping low prices and excellent service. I have bought magazines from him for years and always been delighted with the service he provides. Your best source for magazine springs (if you decide to try to fix your existing FN mag) is Browning... their parts are cheaper than anyone else...

Mec-Gar is.was the maker of OEM mags for most brands of pistols at one time or another (depending I assume on who made the low offer to the manufacturer.) They make the current "Factory" mags for FN.

A final observation... Once I addressed the trigger, I don't think I'd do anything other than shoot the gun...

You might post your questions at this forum, where a lot of the real experts on the HP hang out:

Browning Hi-Power - 1911Forum

FWIW

Chuck

Reactions: 1KPerDay

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks for taking the time Justin! Looks like you got a winner for sure.
I bet all you need is some newly fitted parts. Refinish that thing and make it all curdy! The last round thing reminds me of a problem I had with a my 1911 a long time ago. It did the exact same thing as the highpower. Turned out it was the magazines. Both mags that came with it. I think that were made by Star or something. The guy next to me at the range was nice enough to help me. he let me try his mags and vise versa. His mags worked flawless. So I was happy it was a cheap fix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Premature lock back on a hi power can be weak magazine spring or deformed (spread) feed lips. Both these conditions allow last round to slip forward. Also inspect appearance of slide stop and guide rod. Lock slide at take down notch. Push up on release part of lever and let go. It should snap down fairly smartly.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so: update. I've shot this pistol quite a bit, got a replacement mag from AIM after I sent the OEM one back. New one works flawlessly, and holds 14 rounds.

I've shot this Hi Power back to back to back with my SIG P226, Beretta 92FS, and Glock 19 on several occasions, and the Hi Power seems to have slightly more recoil than the SIG or Beretta, which seems strange to me. I still haven't ordered a new recoil spring or hammer spring, but will.

Getting used to the sights and trigger and can how hit with it at will. However, after a mag or two, my trigger finger hurts when shooting the Hi Power. Something about the recoil characteristics, or the ergonomics/close reach of the trigger, or the shape... it's almost like trigger slap feels. I get none of that from the SIG or Beretta.

I really want to like this pistol. I've seen custom/flatter/wider triggers... anything else I should consider?

Next update:

Ordered the Wolff recoil tuning spring kit, tried the 20 lb spring and it works flawlessly, even intentionally limp-wristing it with 2 fingers.

Recoil still feels a bit stronger than P226 or 92FS, but whatever.

I note there seems to be less to hold onto with 2-handed hold on this pistol. Maybe because the frame is so slim or something.

Still need to try removing mag safety.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got a surplus Hi Power recently, not from AIM. After shooting about 2 boxes of ammo through it, i'm about to have to dump another $2-300 into it, because it was never inspected by my LGS, where I got it, and the hook on the bottom of the barrel is about to shear off. I just received the schematics to the pistol, so I can tear it down and compare parts to see if anything else is damaged and need replaced....and I'm hoping it will be worth fixing. We do have concerns about the frame, but it looks oK.

I went to my LGS, just to tell them that they may want to inspect guns before they sell them, and was told..."we don't look at 'em, we just put 'em in the case and sell 'em".

Like the rest of y'all, I spend a good chunk of money on my guns, and I can guarantee you that gun shop will not get another penny from me...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now I'm getting hammer follow. On three occasions the hammer has dropped to the safety notch with a round in the chamber, when firing regularly.

I guess I got a huge lemon. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts