FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have been an active hunter/shooter for a long time. All I had was a Marlin .22 that my Dad gave me, and a Winchester 12g pump for hunting. I spent a lot of time shooting handguns because friends or family members always had pistols that I could shoot in the range or in the woods. I finally took steps to get my own pistol and settled on the FNX-9. I did a TON of research for months (including this forum... thanks) and here is what I came up with that I wanted in a first handgun:

• 9mm
  • Polymer frame
  • Standard size (not necessarily a carry gun)
  • Light weight
  • Good magazine capacity
  • Proven manufacturer
  • Hammer fire (DA/SA with a decocker)
  • Decent price
During my research, I narrowed the field to 4 guns:

• Sig SP2022
  • CZ P-07 Duty
  • Beretta Px4 Storm
  • FNH FNX-9
They are all fine guns, but this is my list of reasons for choosing the FNX-9

• Weight - The FNX-9 is a clear winner. Much lighter than the other choices
  • Comes standard with 3, 17rd magazines. No contest.
  • FN has a proven record with military and law enforcement agencies
  • I really liked the sights on the FNX-9. Easy to acquire.
  • Low price. I was able to find one brand new on GB for less than all the others
  • Easy takedown/maintenance
I took my new pistol to the range last night and ran 150 rounds through it (WWB-115gr). Yes... the manual says to give the gun a full clean/lube before use, but it was really clean right OOB so I took a chance. The gun ran almost flawlessly. Low felt recoil, easy trigger pull, good recovery. I really enjoyed it. I will have to figure out the sight picture. To be accurate on target, I had to have to have the front sight a hair above plane on the rear sight. It's likely something I'm doing wrong.

The only issue I had... the slide did not stay open at the end of the second magazine that I fired. Everything else was good. I am looking forward to getting some JHP home defense ammo to see how the gun does with that.

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the FNX!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Greetings From Richmond/Rosenberg, TX

Excellent first post Your final four (Except for the Sig) mirrors mine, except also mine would be in .40S&W

·
Registered
609 Posts
I took my new pistol to the range last night and ran 150 rounds through it (WWB-115gr). Yes... the manual says to give the gun a full clean/lube before use, but it was really clean right OOB so I took a chance. The gun ran almost flawlessly. Low felt recoil, easy trigger pull, good recovery. I really enjoyed it. I will have to figure out the sight picture. To be accurate on target, I had to have to have the front sight a hair above plane on the rear sight. It's likely something I'm doing wrong.

The only issue I had... the slide did not stay open at the end of the second magazine that I fired. Everything else was good. I am looking forward to getting some JHP home defense ammo to see how the gun does with that.
From what i understand fn sets the sights to be dots lined up center dot center of target not the tip of the post.

You didnt clean the shipping gunk out of it and lube like fn told ya... Heh. Once you clean and lube including magazines shouldnt have anymore issues.

Most guns have issues if the shipping crud isnt removed. They have been sitting typically for months with preservative and or grease dried up in em until you got it. Thats why you clean em when you get em. That stuff keeps the rust off the gun looks clean but it acts like glue

·
Registered
39 Posts
During break in you should consider using 124 grain ammo to prevent FTE's and the slide not locking back. The 115 grain ammo is not powerful enough to move the slide through the complete range of motion until the pistol is broken in. After about 500 rounds or so of break in with 124grain ammo, 115 grain should be fine. I speak from experience and if you look around the site you will see others experience the same. Welcome and good choice. The FNX-9 is awesome! I have about 950 rounds through mine now and it is absolutely reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Congrats on the new blaster and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good choice on the FNX. Ironically, my son is getting a gun soon and he loves my FNX but wants something unique to him, something different than Dad's. He decided on the Storm, until he saw & held the P-07 Duty; now he's getting the CZ!

I consider you lucky that you ignored the mandatory initial cleaning and didn't get hurt on your first outing.

If you want a gun that's "bulletproof" I would check out the stickies on this sub-forum and do all the recommended steps in the newbies guide.

Welcome to the club, and remember, the FNX is an awesome weapon but not among the most popular, so you may have to buy a holster for an HK P30 (or Storm) and you'll often have to say, "FN. FNH? FN Herstal??...they make the SCAR????" ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You ought to be able to carry the FNX9 just fine. It's about the same size as a Glock 19 (my duty piece that I carry concealed when off duty.) If I ever want to buy another 9mm I'm getting an FNX-9.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I carry mine every day.

Enjoy it.

Follow the Sticky

1 - 17 of 17 Posts