FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't fired the rifle in a couple months so I took it out to the range. Fired one shot. Next round, pulled trigger, nothing happened. Pulled the charging handle and ejected an unspent round. Tried firing again, nothing happened. Pulled the charging handle, unspent round came out. Slid the upper off the gun to disassemble and then the moving parts assembly wouldn't slide out like it normally would. Seemed like it was stuck on the hammer. I kept hearing a rattling when moving the gun around. Finally got the moving parts group out of the gun as well as the hammer group and this is what I found:

Lego

Any ideas on how this could have happened? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm hoping at the worst I just have to replace the hammer pack and hopefully that's it but the black screw-looking part gives me pause because I'm not sure where that part came from. Any thoughts? Really appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No threads, I actually think it came out of the way back of the moving parts assembly, it seems to fit in there too well, just can't see what would cause it to come out of there

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Ok that little pin you are seeing actually inserts into the bolt carrier group, where the operating rods meet the "stop block breech block assembly" You should be able to push it back in, maybe that fell into the hammer pack after that first shot and it broke the hammer. Did the hammer ever get dropped or was it ever cracked?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hoping I can just push it back into the hole in the back of the moving parts assembly and then it'll be cured, would like to not have to replace the moving parts assembly

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that little pin you are seeing actually inserts into the bolt carrier group, where the operating rods meet the "stop block breech block assembly" You should be able to push it back in, maybe that fell into the hammer pack after that first shot and it broke the hammer. Did the hammer ever get dropped or was it ever cracked?
Thanks for confirming that, I have no idea how the hammer cracked like it did, only fired that one round and that was the end of my shooting, was a perfectly functioning firearm until today

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Thanks for confirming that, I have no idea how the hammer cracked like it did, only fired that one round and that was the end of my shooting, was a perfectly functioning firearm until today
Yeah that sucks man, I wonder how that could happen, that little pin goes into the buttplate to hold it in place, so I have no clue how it could have fallen in there. Last time you assembled it did you have to jam the bolt group in?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that sucks man, I wonder how that could happen, that little pin goes into the buttplate to hold it in place, so I have no clue how it could have fallen in there. Last time you assembled it did you have to jam the bolt group in?
Nope, was such a bizarre thing when the moving parts assembly wouldn't come out after removing the upper and then I started hearing the rattling, hope it's not too hard to get a replacement hammer pack...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Nope, was such a bizarre thing when the moving parts assembly wouldn't come out after removing the upper and then I started hearing the rattling, hope it's not too hard to get a replacement hammer pack...
As far as I know they are still extremely difficult to find. I have had 2 on backorder with FN for over a year...Dont send them that pack either

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think Man Kave sells hammer kits, if I am not miataken

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM and Shap

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Well, so much for warranty work. I am sure they have hammer packs on the shelf for warranty work that they do not sell. Parts held back for service.

The is a after market hammer that you can drop in, if you want to go that route in the interim while waiting for a replacement pack. Get on the mailing list to as many places as possible, which is not many. Call FNH Parts and back-order a pack. They are due in some time in the next 6 weeks of so if what they told me was accurate some time ago. We will see. I have two on back order myself. They indicated when I ordered mine that they were expected around Jun or Jul.

You might find a spare pack that someone has that they are willing to sell to you. I do have a spare aluminum and aluminum short pull hammer. See what you can do to find a replacement.

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Right. I called FN about my A5M XP, specifically the McMillan stock riser needed to be replaced. Nothing to do with the firearm. But they still wanted me to send in the entire firearm to replace the cheek riser. But get this, they do not even have the parts or stock them, EVER. Nothing from McMillan is stocked by FN Parts, even though they use their stocks on all sorts of firearms. They would have to get with McMillan to get the replacement.

So give it a try, but good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I figure what's the use of the destroyed hammer in my hammer pack. I might as well send the pack as is to FN after I call them on Monday. My calculation is: what do I have to lose by sending them the pack with the destroyed portions? The rest of the hammer pack remains useless in its current condition with a shattered hammer. Is there really anything to lose by sending it to the manufacturer even with the warranty gone as a result of SBR'ing the rifle?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.