FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new FNP-9 to the range today for its first outing. I'm not quite sure what to make of the results so I'll give a report then ask for info/advice.

Before going, I thoroughly cleaned and lubed the pistol and magazines with Breakfree CLP (I do have some concern that I may have over-lubed it).

At the range, I fired 100 rounds of WWB 115g. FMJ, 50 rounds of PMC 115g. FMJ, and 50 rounds of Federal 147g. LE HST. I used three magazines and rotated them.

The pistol shoots to POA (very slightly to left, but that may be me).

The first two magazines (all FMJ), I thought I had bought a "jam-o-matic". It jammed after every shot. Sometimes it failed completely to eject, sometimes it partially ejected and sometimes it ejected but failed to return to battery.

The next couple of magazines (still FMJ) it jammed 2 or 3 times for each magazine. After that (still FMJ), it improved dramatically, but I still had an occasional failure. There were also failures of the slide to lock back on an empty magazine.

Finally, I had used up my FMJ and decided to shoot the hollow points. It performed perfectly!

I had always thought hollow points would give more feed problems than FMJ, but that does not seem to be the case here. Now come my theories and request for your input agreeing or disagreeing.

I wonder if the new gun wasn't extremely tight, and the 115g. ammo just did not have the "oomph" (technical term) to work the slide energetically enough, at least at first. By the time I had gotten to the HST's, it had loosened up a bit and/or the HST's had the oomph to move the slide (they did have noticeably more recoil).

Have any of you other FNP shooters had this kind of experience; what are your thoughts?

I hope to make this my primary carry gun, but until I have shot it a lot more without having these feed problems, I cannot consider it to be trustworthy.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The tight recoil spring could account for all of the problems you had. Also, I hope you didn't put CLP in the mags. Mags don't need lubrication, and if you use some stuff, it could potentially ruin the primers on your ammo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I'm not alone! Hopefully it will break in like it has for others and become trouble free. I was afraid I had bought a LEMON :evil: .

I'll try locking the slide back for an extended period. Maybe that will relax the spring a little.

Thanks all! :grin:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I don't think U have a lemon - despite my initial experience, its now my carry gun. And, if you still have a problem, FN has fantastic customer service. Should U have tos end it in, they will fix it and you'll be back in business. DOn't worry too much

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow-up:

After following Shipwreck's siggestion that I leave the slide locked back for a while (I only did it for two days, not two weeks as suggested), I went back to the range today and fired off a hundred rounds of WWB 115g FMJ and 100 rounds of PMC 115g FMJ. I had no feed, ejection, or lockback failures. I think I can say that the FNP-9 is broken in.

I did have one unpleasant experience though. One case flew straight back and hit me in the right eyebrow then rolled down between my glasses and cheek bone and stuck there. Oww that burned!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I had one kiss me on the lips. At least it was just a peck :lol:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
WoodLark said:
Follow-up:

After following Shipwreck's siggestion that I leave the slide locked back for a while (I only did it for two days, not two weeks as suggested), I went back to the range today and fired off a hundred rounds of WWB 115g FMJ and 100 rounds of PMC 115g FMJ. I had no feed, ejection, or lockback failures. I think I can say that the FNP-9 is broken in.

I did have one unpleasant experience though. One case flew straight back and hit me in the right eyebrow then rolled down between my glasses and cheek bone and stuck there. Oww that burned!
:? :?

I figured that would fix it. Glad to hear it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts