FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my FNP .45 this past weekend. I took it home, disassembled it, cleaned it, oiled it with CLP, loaded the magazines and manually cycled the rounds to break the springs in a little. Well, I got to shoot it today and put 150 rounds down range without any issues / problems with the gun. The gun is more accurate than me and is a pleasure to shoot. I shot 50 rounds of PMC 230 gr FMJ, 50 rounds of Remington UMC 230 gr and 50 rounds of Independence 230 gr FMJ. I cycled all three mags through several times and all three worked great, no issues feeding or locking the slide back when empty.

The guy next to me asked what I was shooting and when I told him it was the FNP, he asked to try it, so I let him shoot it while I shot his new S&W M&P .45. He seemed to like it and said, "wow it's really accurate" then he preceeded to ask where I got it and how much.

So I'm real happy with my new FNP .45. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

1911Shooter

·
Registered
412 Posts
The more you shoot it the more you'll like it! :?
I love shooting mine!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gun Blast did a test and it rated very accurate. I'm stuck between this, a sig P220R, and a Glock 21 sf pic rail.

With the price of the sig, and unsupported chamber on the glock, Im leaning toward the FN.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think I need a 1911, but I havent ruled out the FNP45 yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the price it's hard to beat the FNP line.

Hey McLovin, do what I did and own both (1911 & FNP .45) that way you have your bases covered.. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the way, how did you like his M&P 45?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The M&P .45 was OK, but I didn't like the trigger. It felt sloppy to me. The grip was thinner than the FNP, (closer to my 1911), and the M&P's come with I think 3 different back-straps / palm swells. I shot it OK, but my FNP I thought handled the recoil better. I don't like striker fired guns, so I really didn't look at the M&P.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DialM4murder said:
Gun Blast did a test and it rated very accurate. I'm stuck between this, a sig P220R, and a Glock 21 sf pic rail.

With the price of the sig, and unsupported chamber on the glock, Im leaning toward the FN.

I've got all three (plus a 1911). I'm an admitted SIGaholic, so I am biased toward the P220. That said, if I had to live with one .45 ACP and it had to serve in a defensive capacity, I would take the FNP-45 over all the others. It's more accurate and controllable than the Glock for me, and the grip circumference is smaller even though it holds one more round. The SIG and 1911 both are more elegant, but the FNP-45 makes up for that with its extra capacity and lower weight. FNH designed a winner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"I've got all three (plus a 1911). I'm an admitted SIGaholic, so I am biased toward the P220. That said, if I had to live with one .45 ACP and it had to serve in a defensive capacity, I would take the FNP-45 over all the others. It's more accurate and controllable than the Glock for me, and the grip circumference is smaller even though it holds one more round. The SIG and 1911 both are more elegant, but the FNP-45 makes up for that with its extra capacity and lower weight. FNH designed a winner."

Excellent. Thank you for your comments, your perspective helps me out a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update. I put another 150 rounds through my FNP 45 and still zero issues / problems. It fed & extracted everything I had and never failed to fire. The mag stop is getting easier to use as the springs get broken in more. So still smiling about my FNP 45.

1911Shooter

·
Registered
173 Posts

I've got all three (plus a 1911). I'm an admitted SIGaholic, so I am biased toward the P220. That said, if I had to live with one .45 ACP and it had to serve in a defensive capacity, I would take the FNP-45 over all the others. It's more accurate and controllable than the Glock for me, and the grip circumference is smaller even though it holds one more round. The SIG and 1911 both are more elegant, but the FNP-45 makes up for that with its extra capacity and lower weight. FNH designed a winner.
I need to find one of these to hold in my hand. Your viewpoint gives me hope for a small grip .45 ACP. I sold my G21 (not SF) because it was too fat for me. Now you say that the FNP-45 is smaller than the 21SF! I could almost order one sight unseen with remarks like that. Of course, I need to wait for MD to put it on the Handgun Roster to make it legal for purchase (someone said by June I think). I miss the .45 round for its size. I used to love shooting DoubleTap ammo 185Gr Gold dots in my GLOCK. It tickled me to watch someone else shoot it and see the flames coming out the barrel and ejection port with the almost +P ammo. I thought the GLOCK was a VERY soft shooting .45, you indicate that the FNP is MORE controllable. I hope you aren't just blowing smoke up my a**. Being a big fan and new convert to the DA/SA handguns, this sounds like the perfect gun. The only thing better would be an interchangable 10mm barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts