FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting a CCW soon, any ideas on what to buy and why ? want to avoid cheap and super expensive.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ruger SR9C/SR40C (approx $400.00) (I have the SR40C 9+1 and the spare magazine has 15 rounds of .40S&W) Sr40c 12262013c.jpg SR40C-`12262013.jpg
Glocks, M&P Shield, Springfield Armory XD-S, Beretta PX4 Storm has a compact and a sub compact, SCCY CPX-2 and the new Remmington R51. And of course the list goes on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are many options out there. I personally carry a Sig P938. It is a nice little hand cannon and with enough range time with it you can learn to shoot it very well. Mine has been very reliable. It is a small gun and with most small guns you have to be well versed in technique, ie proper grip, no limp wrist, etc. I carry mine cocked and locked with a live round in the chamber and usually carry it in a pocket holster. My wife carries a Sig P238. It is smaller than the 938 and is even easier to carry it deep. That little .380 is a shooter and is just a joy to shoot. I have found that it is picky on the type of defense round it likes to eat. My son carries a Walther PPS in 9mm. It has also been very reliable and is also a great gun to shoot once you get used to the magazine release. It is obviously a bit bigger than my 938. He carries it IWB and likes it. he is 6'2" and weighs 215 so he easily can conceal it.

I have two other guns that I will carry in the center console of my truck. One is a Glock 17, however it spends most of its life in a hand safe by my bed. The other is what brought me to this forum, an FNX-45 Tactical with an RMR.

My father-in-law is a Ruger fan. He wanted an LC-9 and I got him one for his birthday. He and i had looked them over pretty well at the NRA Show in Houston and he absolutely became convinced he wanted one. While the Ruger seems to be very reliable I find, as do many others, the trigger pull is just way too long and heavy. I like the way the gun feels in my hand, but the trigger is an absolute killer for me. He has shot my 938 and while he would never come out and say it I think he likes my Sig better than he like his Ruger.

I am sure you will get many more comments...most which will be more helpful than mine.

have fun "shopping"

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I think a major factor would be your handgun experience, auto-loader a bit more complicated than a revolver. Recoil would be another factor to consider, as to what you are comfortable with. Personal stature and dress code as to properly be able to keep it concealed. Preferred method of carry. There are a lot of personal things to be considered for a CCW, it is definitely not a 1 gun fits all decision. Without you being a buddy of mine that I knew well, probably the only honest advise I would offer would be to consider a handgun of the sub-compact size, 9mm or larger. What you will be most comfortable carrying, because if it isn't on you, its no good ! Go to your LGS finger them all, most of all BE SAFE !

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
You need to create a list of pistols that you are interested in, then research that list until you assemble a "short list" once there find a LGS that rents those on the short list. Whichever one feels most comfortable and you shoot the most accurate will likely end up as your CCW.

I would ask yourself some questions along the way, how experienced a shooter am I, will I be willing to dedicate myself to practicing, will I be willing to seek out professional instruction. There are a great many variables which need to be addressed, some are, what is my physical stature which leads to how large a weapon will I be able to conceal another would be how much money is at hand to purchase, equip as in holster, practice and ammo -ammo is a big one. A suggestion would be to focus on 9mm, not that you have to ultimately end up with one but they are reasonable in price and the ammo is some of the cheapest and most available -at least where I am- they're also one of the easiest to shoot with very manageable recoil.

I would add this and this might be the single most important question to ask yourself, are you capable of shooting to kill another human being? If deep down you don't think you can DO NOT carry a concealed weapon, PERIOD!

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
604 Posts
You need to create a list of pistols that you are interested in, then research that list until you assemble a "short list" once there find a LGS that rents those on the short list. Whichever one feels most comfortable and you shoot the most accurate will likely end up as your CCW.

I would ask yourself some questions along the way, how experienced a shooter am I, will I be willing to dedicate myself to practicing, will I be willing to seek out professional instruction. There are a great many variables which need to be addressed, some are, what is my physical stature which leads to how large a weapon will I be able to conceal another would be how much money is at hand to purchase, equip as in holster, practice and ammo -ammo is a big one. A suggestion would be to focus on 9mm, not that you have to ultimately end up with one but they are reasonable in price and the ammo is some of the cheapest and most available -at least where I am- they're also one of the easiest to shoot with very manageable recoil.

I would add this and this might be the single most important question to ask yourself, are you capable of shooting to kill another human being? If deep down you don't think you can DO NOT carry a concealed weapon, PERIOD!

Hope this helps...
This.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I currently carry a SIG P938 as well, and it's my deep carry gun. I just got a Dan Wesson CCO that I'll start carrying once I've put it through the paces (so far, reliable with ball ammo, just need to try out a bunch of hollow points). For someone new, a SAO gun carried cocked and locked may not be best as it takes a little bit of time to learn, so neither of those will probably be the best option for you (unless you're already used to those, have practiced drawing and shooting etc.). A Walther PPS would be a good choice too. Something thin and relatively light (single stack 9mm is what I would recommend)

Reactions: bmi80d

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
First Off: everybody's needs are different. Here is my story...

I own numerous handguns, from HK, kimber, glock to numerous revolvers. I chose the SW 360 PD in 357 mag with a crimson trace grip for my CC. It is light, powerful and with the CT laser it is accurate at crucial ranges. My goal of a CC is first off Concealable. I don't want anybody knowing I have it!! The 357 mag is a tried and true round with more than enough stopping power. The 380PD is light weight at only 11oz. Yes it does kick like a mule,but with practice I am prepared for it. Most of all, it is reliable and ready to go as soon as I unholster it. No safety, no chambering a round, and with the CT laser grip, no thought needed. Just point the red dot and shoot it. The laser also acts as a deterent as when the red dot appears on their chest, reality sets in pretty quickly!! Not much to me, but with 5 rounds it is NY compliant. Oh, just in case a fast getaway is needed, there is no evidence left behind in the form of spent brass ;)

I "auditoned" numerous guns for my CC and it came down to the 4 in the picture below.

1.) I like the glocks as they do what they are suppose to do everytime you pull the trigger, They go boom, but it was to heavy and bulky.
2.) The ruger LCP was the perfect size, but the enemic 380 round just didn't give me confidence
3.) My second choice is the Kahr PM40. Great size, good balistics out of the 40cal.
4.) The winner was the PD360 titanium and after 2 years I am more than happy with my choice

My Suggestions, go to your local shop and handle as many as you can. Try to shoot as many as you can to see what you are confortable with. The SW 360 in 357mag may be too much for some to handle. Make a list of your priorities like I did IE.. size, weight, capacity...

** I feel no need for a CC that holds more than 5 rounds. I am not planning to get into a shootout. Almost all "gunfights" are within 7 feet and under 5 shots. It is better to practice with your weapon and become accurate with 5 shots than to pray and spray with 15 rounds.

ccw.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
PS> I wonder if this is a legal option for CCW?? It is classified as a pistol, accoring to the BATFE ;) Ohio limits the mags to under 30, but most other states it is legal.

IMAGE_094.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts