FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a FDE 17S used, but best I can tell it was never fired. I mounted a Leupold Mark IV 3.5-10x on it, laser bore sighted it and went to a friend's farm to zero it in. My son and I tried and tried, had it, then didn't, and then got the help of a former .mil instructor who tried and tried, had it, then didn't, - you get the picture. I didn't pay particular attention to the ammo I had selected - I figured no big deal. We started with some of the M80 (AE 149Gr XM80CS) Ball ammo I had recently snagged from Natchez for about 49 cents a round. We fired 80 rounds of this stuff and got things zeroed only to have the next shot go 6" high right. Finally I remembered that I had 20 rounds of Malaysian surplus with me and we immediately got holes touching one another using that. I have a supply of FGMM that I have been saving for something and I'm guessing that I should have used that to get my zero and then allowed the M80 do its thing from there.

Anyone else had such varied performance out of the American Eagle XM80CS? I know it is steel core, does that influence this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
47 Posts
i had to send my 17s back to FN. I was having the same issues. I could get a zero and then the rounds would start flying everywhere. I put over 200 rounds through mine and tried different optics and ammo. I could get sub moa to moa for a group and then it would be back to the same thing.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've been wrong before, but my guess(no offense intended) is if your able to group consistently even for a little bit-then it changes-it's not the rifle. It's either the ammo(highly likely) or its you.( also very possible)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There were 3 of us shooting it. One was well trained by the military. As soon as we went to the Malaysian ammo things got better. I don't think it's the gun.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You should read through the forum before you think about sending it in.

Having it zeroed and then sending one 6" high is more than likely the shooter.

Look at some of the threads about re-tourquing the barrel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You didn't mention details of the scope to mount, or mount to SCAR connections. First thing I'd check ( besides ammo which you are already on) is uniform tightness of the ring screws and then the mount, QD system or other to ensure its solid. It may or may not be the issue, but I'd rule it out before returning the rifle, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree. If simply changing the ammo fixed the problem then your probably good to go. I narrowed my problem down to either the rifle or me and I eleminated as much of the ''me'' factor as possible. There is always a good chance that It is me but I had consistent groups with my other rifles. My vote is that the barrel may not have been torqued correctly but i decided to send it back to FN just in case. The scar is an amazing piece of machinery but it is also a machine and there is a possibility that it has a problem. If i have the same problem when it returns then I will know it was me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm going to try again with FGMM ammo. The gun was in a rest and was very stable. We were being very careful with trigger pull, etc. My bet is that it is the ammo - FGMM should settle that issue. I'll look at the mounts and scope and read up on the barrel torque issue.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Try remounting your scope with locktite as well. Could be subtly moving without you noticing it." True dat!

Once secured and locktited, witness marks (paint pen, etc.) on the screw/bolt heads also help detect any movement or issues. Generally good for anything that moves in a pic rail on your primary, Optic, BUIS, laser et al.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts