FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking I'm dealing with FTE's. Rather than guess at what to look at, I'd like to see whether anyone has experienced similar and have direction to investigate or a solution.

I just received this last month and I waited to shoot until I was able to pick up some optics. I can't see very well and the irons weren't doing much for me.

In the meantime, I gave it a thorough cleaning. I figured it would get me acquainted with the firearm and get associated with the parts and how they go together.

So, during my range visit, I come across a few things. First, I need to move my scope forward to allow access to the service port, or as I've seen affectionately referred to as "The Toilet Seat".

Second, I squeeze the trigger and fire off a round. I squeeze for the second shot and nothing. I rack the handle and was able to get a second round off, but on the subsequent pull of the trigger, nothing again. I then drop the magazine, try to look in the service port, which I find I cannot open fully, rack the charging handle again and then load the magazine in place. Charge again, fire, then cannot get a consecutive shot off.

I found that I could repeatedly charge the handle and get a shot off, but consecutive shots were not happening at all.

Then I started looking at the spent cartridges. I noticed this and figure it was important to stop and find out what the heck was going on.

The Sarge has pointed me in a direction when I described it to him, but I'm including pictures now in the hopes that someone could tell me if they had experienced similar and what I should do. I am scheduled to take it in to the gunsmith, but some information I find is best in this situation.

Please help. I like the feel of the rifle, it was accurate, and it's quite pleasurable. I just want to be able to make sure it's reliable and working properly.

here are the pictures.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image2.jpeg

·
Registered
321 Posts
1) Are you absolutely, positively SURE that the mag is fully seated? #1 problem with FS2000's. It takes a real solid WHACK up on the bottom of the mag to seat it. Without that, you'll get consistent misfeeds of varying types.
2) That said, I've never had spent cases come out looking like this as a result of those kinds of misfeeds. These look like they're being torn up on the way into the rail/ejection tube. Need pics of the end of the ejection tube, just above the chamber on the upper - remove it and take some pics.
3) Also include pics of the switch - the white molded part on the moving parts group - the part you see moving through the inspection port when you rack the charging handle. Possible that a broken or damage switch could be improperly aligning spent cases with the ejection port.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My suspicion is that the magazine isn't seating perfectly in the well. I had taken out the gasket prior to when I went to the range and then I put them back in to see if the magazines sat differently in the magwell.

I will cover all bases and submit pictures of what you stated. I had inspected them, but as a new owner, I don't have the experience of knowing whether anything is out of kilter or not, other than the fact that it doesn't cycle properly. Thanks for your insight though. It will help as a basis for anything that may come up in the future. I have read on other failures on this forum and it pretty much follows what you are talking about. I just didn't see anything that showed what I had or experienced it exactly as I had. Thanks for you reply and help on this matter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had gotten this from another user on the forum.

Don't run steel cased ammunition through it. And if it still acts up, take a picture of the magazine and post it in the FS2K forum. The only other thing that would cause the weapon to choke would be a worn anti-case return or broken switch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When you say you can't get the "toilet seat" fully open leads me to think the switch might be broken. Nothing should interfer with the "toilet seat" fully opening. Since it's essentially a single shot now, have you checked the openings on the gas plug, if a lot of steel cased ammo has been shot, they might be gummed up. If you have the manual, check the instructions to make sure everything is assembled properly. If you don't have the manual, CS at FNH would probably send you one.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Things to watch for...

Switch must be in good condition without fractures, or the large burrs.
(click to expand)
100_3052.jpg

The platform does not like Colt style magazines. Colt on left, FN on right for comparison.
(click to expand)
100_3053.jpg

Case, anti-return must also be positioned correctly on the ejection chute, and must be in good condition. Correctly = the little teet should point toward the muzzle.
(click to expand)
100_3054.jpg

Lastly, the magazine should *click* into place.

Other than that, anemic loads, such as some loadings of 55 grain ammunition will cause the weapon to short stroke, resulting in the fired case mouth being driven into the top (12 o'clock) aspect of the barrel extension.

-SS

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Again, Sargeant, your help has proven invaluable. There are several things now that I need to check upon. One thing you left out of our pm in discussing this item is the piston rings alignment per the manual.

Gopher, I mis-spoke. I was speaking of inspection cover. My scope is to far rearward for it to be opened up. Thanks for the response/

It is all very much appreciated. I'll let you all know of my findings.

·
Registered
409 Posts
1) Cleaning. Did you strip and clean the gas piston and cylinder? Did you pull the extractor and clean it seperatly? Any burrs or chips on the extractor. Weapon is lubricated as per the manual?
2) If you run the CH with the rifle unloaded is the action smooth?
3) How many mags did you try? Same stoppage with all mags?
4) What ammo are you using?

H

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, a lot of good feedback in here. I'll try to address them all.

I inspected all parts in question brought up by the members here and all of them are perfectly functional. This is a fairly new rifle even though it was used. I know the previous owner and this was one of his safe queens and he just brought it out just recently to shoot. Upon him discovering how he didn't like something, he gave it to me in trade for work.

I did clean the firearm prior to my firing knowing it had been used and it wasn't to my liking in cleanliness. I also find that going through a cleaning process acquiants me to the inner workings of the firearm much quicker than by going by the manual. I will admit, I did forget to clean the gas piston and tube. I did this prior to my second go around.

I was using 55 grain 223 PMC rounds. I went through two and a half magazines with the same result. I was almost going to go to the 5.56 62 grain when I decided to visit the gunsmith.

After his inspection of everything, he got some other PMC 55 grain ammo and mixed them up with mine. We proceeded to the range and he test fired to the same result. He pulled magazines, inspected them again and used one magazine that I had not gotten to in my first round at the range. He shot perfectly fine with it. He went to the other magazines and reworked them and shot through them fine. Turns out the feed lips were working themselves out of place and was the cause of all this misery.

Now the rifle shoots fine and it really is a fun and pleasurable rifle. Accurate, smooth, and I just love the size. I've become very familiar with this rifle faster than with the rest of my other firearms purely from spending the time troubleshooting, cleaning, taking apart and operating. I feel very comfortable with it now.

My thing is this. Being in California, I've got to deal with these 10 round magazines. I was thinking of ordering new FN magazines, but the 10 rounders are close to $40 a piece! I know all 10 round magazines go for a premium because they can, but who has some insight on reliable, fair priced magazines I can use on the FS2000? Insight to this would prove to be most valuable and appreciated.

Thanks again to those that contributed to this thread. It's been most helpful and I'm printing it out to keep on file with this so that I have a troubleshooting guide to keep on hand.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Reactions: st22

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Reactions: st22

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was getting this type of FTF in Mine.
IMG_8951.jpg

But then I replaced the followers in my magazines with Magpul anti tilt followers (the new yellow ones)
And now it shoots.
No more FTF.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Great to hear! Glad it works right. :?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I was getting FTF and FTE in my FS2000 as well. A member advised me a good firm slap on the bottom of the magazine after insertion fixed any problems I experienced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
revive. after being frustrated, I let it sit for months. Until last month when I got some 10/30 magazines with Magpul followers. Net same result. My order in line is to get a new case/anti return piece, as well as a new gate and just replace. They show no wear or breakage, but I'm doing it for the peace of mind.

Then I'm buying the gaskets just to put them back in. I'm leaving nothing to the imagination.

Lastly, a backup parts kit.

I got one magazine through. I enjoyed it so much that its the only reason why I'm sticking with this to try to make it work. Otherwise, I may sell it to alleviate my frustration.

Oooh, almost forgot. Need to try the 62 grain 5.56. again, leaving nothing to the imagination.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not to rub salt into your wounds or anything, man.. I know you must be frustrated. But, just a word to the wise, this is why I am very leary of buying used guns unless I've personally fired them and inspected them. It has to be one heck of a deal, or a rare collector piece for me to do otherwise. Brand new + warranty = peace of mind for me.

Reactions: Justice305

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like Averywhite has provided the solution for st22 - give FNH a call and see if you can ship it back to them for repairs.

Reactions: cetane
1 - 20 of 34 Posts