FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I got my PS90 about a month ago and finally got to shoot it. I've been waiting to get it accessorized and for an order of Tannerite exploding targets to come in.

www.tannerite.com

We shot about 250 rounds in the back yard of a co-worker's home out in the country. I first broke the barrel in by shooting one round, cleaning, a couple more rounds, cleaning, well you get the idea. My co-worker's wife was there as was his two boys and 3 of their friends. The kids were all about 13. We all (except the wife) took turns shooting.

I paced the target area at about 43 yards. The sight seemed to be about dead on. I didn't adjust the sight at all. To check the sight in I used 8 inch targets. The target was in the shade, which didn't help matters. I have an illuminator for the front sight collector using a red Photon Freedom keychain light. This light has an adjustable brightness and really helped brighten up the reticle. The circle dot reticle obscured most the target. I would think a crosshair sight would be better. My best group from a rest was about 3 inches. Most were about 5 inches. I blame me more than the rifle.

Shooting the Tannerite was a hoot! I got a case of the 1/2 pound bottles. Shooting one got uncontrollable laughter from everyone. My cheeks started to hurt from grinning so much. Definately worth the money ($89 for 20 bottles). The temperature was 65-70 degrees and 32% humidity according to Yahoo weather. We were shooting SS195LF. I had some SS197SR, but we didn't shoot that.

I made a few mistakes during the shoot. I'm a single gun nut, so I got caught up in the moment. We supervised the kids closely and they all acted responsibly. I didn't expect all the kids to be there. I made sure they all had ears, but I should have made sure they all had eye protection too. I wear glasses myself, so I take eye protection for granted. I should have had the "extra" kids call their parents and ask permission to participate first. One of the kid's Mom called and she wasn't pleased that her daughter was shooting. We didn't dare mention the Tannerite.

If you are going to shoot Tannerite make sure to inform anyone that could possibly be involved and make sure everyone is cool with it. If you can, get them to watch the DVD that comes with the Tannerite. It shows that you can shoot it with a .22 or 9mm or take a butane torch to it and it won't go off. The co-worker's father in law came to visit and got real uptight about us shooting the Tannerite and I don't blame him.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the co-worker's sons recognised the rifle instantly. I asked if he played CounterStrike. I think he said no, he just new about guns.

The co-worker is a gun nut too. The kid's all had a great time. I feel like it is a good thing for kids to learn about firearms and firearms safety. I don't have kids, but I can imagine being pissed if my kid was shooting and I didn't know about it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steve.

I'll be sure to try the SS197SR next time.

A really nice thng about the PS90 is not having to worry about the empties flying all over. With most other rifles and handguns you have to be very conscious of where you are standing when next to the shooter. With the PS90 it just doesn't matter. I got the brass catcher too and I recommend that. You will use it. My co-worker loved it when I squeezed the bottom of the catcher and the empties fell out.

It is the little things that make me love this rifle. They really need to change the sight though.

The funnest Tannerite moment was when the kids scrounged up a broken plastic lawn chair. We put the bottle underneath the chair and it blew it to smithereens to shrieks of laughter. You haven't lived until you have shot this stuff.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried shooting Tannerite with SS197SR ammo today. I shot one 1/2 pound bottle dead center at 50 yards and the SS197SR bullet just punched right through. I then set off the same bottle with with a round of SS195LF. One shot might not be conclusive, but I don't think SS197SR flies fast enough to set off Tannerite. I'll try again the next time I go out. SS195LF shot from a 16" barrel will reliably set off Tannerite every time.

This was my first time out with the 2x20 Compact ACOG on the PS90. Shooting the 1/2 pound bottles at 50 yards was easy with this setup. The 1/2 pound bottles are about 1 3/4 inches wide and 5 1/2 inches tall.

Edited to add:

We tried shooting two 1/2 pound bottles side by side nestled in about 1/2 of a tree stump. To my suprise the second bottle was just mangled and thrown out. I don't know if taping the bottles together would help or not. What I'll do next time is pour the contents of multiple bottles into a larger container.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe. I don't think you will find many ranges that will let you shoot exploding targets. You probably have to find someone with some land and some far away or tolerant neighbors. The 1/2 pound bottles make quite a BOOM when going off. Sounds like a stick of dyanamite I would imagine. Way too much fun :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tannerite is THE BEST for a fun day!!!! :D
We blew up 20 cannisters one afternoon. Actually, it was my wedding reception!
We did stay at the 100 yard mark though. A dryer flying through the air 70-80 feet up is an awesome sight! :D :D
We kept all shooters at the bench and shot in volleys. Three shots per shooter and 8 shooters on the line. To date, the 30 plus participants can't wait to do it again.
This May, they get to attend our second anniversary party! Not one has failed to reply or said they won't be here. Wonder why?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts