FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive looked around here and cant find anything about fn 5x7 ammo expiring....i have read in the past LF designates the lead free rounds and that the primers will go bad after several years....

my questions is....is this true?? and what rounds dont have the propensity to have the primers go bad??? if any do....

i am wanting to buy some hotter rounds..not federal or 197 and want to make sure what i do buy doesnt crap the bed sitting in dry climate controlled storage...

if this a repeat post i apologize....

thanks in advance and the 5 7 is a sweet package....for a former grunt the rounds speed and weight make it a great round to have to hump/pack...me likey...

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
my questions is....is this true??
We won't know for a few more years until the first lot reaches the age where they were thought to have problems.

and what rounds dont have the propensity to have the primers go bad???
The SS190, L191, SB193, T194, SS192, and the older SS197 before the LF primers.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
We won't know for a few more years until the first lot reaches the age where they were thought to have problems.

The SS190, L191, SB193, T194, SS192, and the older SS197 before the LF primers.
Current production ss197 does not have LF primers. Only the lot from Cabellas back in Jan had LF primers

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Current production ss197 does not have LF primers. Only the lot from Cabellas back in Jan had LF primers
They made a batch of 197 with lead free primers???

·
Registered
470 Posts
At least 100 cases..... (Thats what was left when I called at the time.)

You can tell if unopened as there will be a black "Lead Free" Sticker on the box. If opened, I believe the primers are black.
I had several boxes of the 197LF stuff. The primers were black in color as you say and they had a dull finish on them. They looked like they were starting to corrode around the edge where they touched the brass. No other signs of moisture so must have been from the air. Needless to say, I shot or sold these. I don't know the year but had to be from that short run of 197 LF.

Also, I'd like to state the obvious before some asks: SS195LF = lead-free projectile ONLY, SS197LF = lead-free primer ONLY, this has been my experience.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Reactions: JMike

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Is it different than the 197's lead free primer? The 195 I had had shiny chrome primers.
The color of the primer in FN ammo has nothing to do with it being LF or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts