FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really really really would like to get a 57 and a PS90, but are they really worth the extra money involved in both the firearms and the ammo?

If you had to do it all over, would you take the plunge again?

Also, do you think that with this round small game hunting could be a posibility? What about home defense?

Thanks for all your help, and sorry for all the questions,

familywgn

·
Registered
636 Posts
I got both also but I got a lot of toys :wink: if i had to chose one a good rifle or pistol it would be a ar or ak pistol .40 or .45 .22 IMO just is not a :-x stopper one.40/ .45 or 5.56/7.62x39 to the chest its over one 5.7 :? I dont know..... BUT both as a pair well 20+50 thats a good team :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well worth the cost

The PS90 has become my favorite new weapon system ! Extremely fun too shoot and although the ammo is exspensive, so is my 50 cal ammo, it doesn't stop me from going to the range. The spare parts and no availability for such does bother me, but, we will see what happens in the future. Now, this brings me to the five seven pistol? I think I am going to pass it up. I maybe spoiled owning every glock there is(except the 18 and 25 as they are not for sale in my state ! Hell the 25 isn't even importable) I can not pay a thousand dollars for a weapon that feels like a two hundred dollar highpoint truck gun ! Go to a gun store that has one and pick up a glock and then pick up the five seven ! You will be taking home the glock, trust me. Besides a thousand dollars will buy two glocks. I find it quite unfortunate that the five seven feels so cheep in the hand, as I like the design and the twenty round clip, well thirty round with the new mag ext offered.

·
Registered
569 Posts
familywgn said:
I really really really would like to get a 57 and a PS90, but are they really worth the extra money involved in both the firearms and the ammo?
If you had to do it all over, would you take the plunge again?
Also, do you think that with this round small game hunting could be a posibility? What about home defense?
Thanks for all your help, and sorry for all the questions,
familywgn
My advice is to shoot one first as a lot of personal preference is involved. Me, I picked up an FN57 to go w/my PS90's and liked it so much I'm getting a 2nd. I really like the ammo interchangeability.
Small game hunting? Definitely! Excellent reported field results on coyote & smaller game (even deer seem to go down w/the FN57 although I wouldn't recommend it for game that size).
Home defense? Shot placement & sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary. You're better off w/a weaker rd that you shoot well than a more powerful rd that you don't shoot well. I shoot the FN57 better than any other centerfire caliber I've tried (everything from .32 ACP to .45 ACP) so it now serves nightstand duty w/little fear of overpenetration.
Cost? Tanner's is selling them NIB w/3 mags for $799.
Glocks? Great track record but I just couldn't bring myself to like them despite owning a 17 & 26 (YMMV). I will admit to being uncomfortable w/the Glock not having a manual safety (too many documented instances of ND) but that may not be terribly important to you.
HTH and keep us posted!...
Tomac

·
Registered
131 Posts
Funny !

Funny comment about the glocks ! They were designed for simplicity in combat, so as to keep its user alive and not woring about flicking a safety. As for the safety point, if your accidently discharging a firearm because of the lack of a safety, then you have no business owning one ! By the way, try manipulating the safety on the fiveseven whit out dropping line of sight ! Safetys are like the feel good legislation that bans our weapons they supposidly make people feel better? I have a safety on my glock, its called keeping my finger off the trigger until I'm sure where its pointed !

·
Registered
131 Posts
OOOPS!

Sorry shipwreck off topic ! The PS90 is a great all around weapon ! But, on the five seven, I would be sure to shoot it and compare it to other weapons before purchasing, as a thousand dollars is alot to lay down for a pitol that is new to the market especialy if your not sure about it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: OOOPS!

tgr934x4 said:
I have a safety on my glock, its called keeping my finger off the trigger until I'm sure where its pointed! But, on the five seven, I would be sure to shoot it and compare it to other weapons before purchasing, as a thousand dollars is alot to lay down for a pitol that is new to the market especialy if your not sure about it.
Unfortunately, even experienced shooters can have ND's w/Glocks:
http://www.thegunzone.com/nd.html and a Glock w/a rd chambered can be fired by something other than your finger (literally anything that can snag the trigger inside the guard) and I've yet to meet a person who's incapable of making mistakes. If you like the Glock and it works for you then that's great, IMHO.
And btw, FN57's are available from Tanner's for $799, not the $1K you keep quoting.
I completely agree w/you about him trying the FN57 before buying (but then, I'd suggest that for any pricey firearm).
Tomac

·
Registered
131 Posts
The price

I live in Washington state and the five seven pistol is between 950 and a $1,000 dollars, well over a thousand either way w/tax ! Also, if the safety or the lack there of on the glock is an issue, several manufacturers make an upgrade to put a safety on them. Back to the subject, I love FN's products and own several of them, but it puzzles me why the fiveseven is so "rough" around the edges? I also can't understand why the gun is completely made of steel and then covered woth polymer? I would love to purchase one, but can not justify the purchase of a handgun with this price, when it feels like a cheap airsoft gun. Will they be updating the design or even offering a new design with metal controls like the glock. I just realized why I don't like the gun ! It has plastic controls where the glock has metal ! I think this is why it feels so cheep in the hand. Do they or can I order one from them with metal controls? I will half to call FN and see what they say.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: The price

tgr934x4 said:
Will they be updating the design or even offering a new design with metal controls like the glock.
Don't hold your breathe. I talked to them just the other day. No updates or modifications yet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
tgr934x4: That may be the cost locally (very similar to the local price here in Idaho) but my 2nd FN57 from Tanner's cost a total of $829 including shipping and transfer fees: http://www.tannerssportcenter.com/
Tomac

·
Registered
395 Posts

Tomac said:
tgr934x4 said:
And btw, FN57's are available from Tanner's for $799, not the $1K you keep quoting.
I completely agree w/you about him trying the FN57 before buying (but then, I'd suggest that for any pricey firearm).
Tomac
Well, Bud's has them for $779, and $25 shipping. That's $804 delivered!

:cool:

[email protected]

·
Registered
569 Posts

Turbozag said:
Tomac said:
tgr934x4 said:
Tomac
Well, Bud's has them for $779, and $25 shipping. That's $804 delivered!
:cool:
[email protected]
An even better deal!
Tomac

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes they are worth the money.

I get my mags from CDNN for around $30, do not know if it is the best deal, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We may thank China for associating such a negative connotation with plastic, mainly due to the endless tons of throwaway, potentially toxic "goods" imported into the US. Quality polymers, like those in Glocks and 5-7s, are more of an advantage. The future is probably in man-made materials anyway, especially with nanotech.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are they worth it?

PS90 = YES. It is unique and a very fine firearm.

FN57 = NO. Any Glock, and some others, are a much better and more cost-effective handgun choice for just about any purpose.

As always, try before you buy and then buy what you like.

·
Registered
131 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Are they worth it?

PS90 = YES. It is unique and a very fine firearm.

FN57 = NO. Any Glock, and some others, are a much better and more cost-effective handgun choice for just about any purpose.

As always, try before you buy and then buy what you like.
Aw ! Another Glock lover ! I agree, you can purchase two Glocks for the price of one FiveSeven or even three if you find decent used ones. Besides, everything is just a copy of the Glock. If Glock made the polymer for the five seven, I'd buy five or six. Buy a PS90 for sure ! The five seven I leave to you !

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got both, and I've used a lot of different handguns in the last 15 years. Simply said: the 5.7mm is one of the best new platforms out there -- both the PS90 and the FiveseveN. I went from carrying my USP .45 to the FN57 without hesitation after a few magazines on the range with some bad slabs of meat from my friend's butcher's shop. This thing will do the job, is reliable, and has almost no recoil, making for better shot placement on following shots.

The PS90 is more than capable of dropping animals up to human-weight. we can't hunt deer or similar creatures here with it due to the law, but it will drop a coyote in a shot.

It's easily a match for the Glocks (with do not impress me), the H&Ks and Walther P99 (which do), and my old fave, the 1911A1. (I'm a former "if it doesn't start with 4 and end with 5" type; this round changed me.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts