FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here on this forum.

I've taken my 5.7 to the range a couple of times now, and I seem to be having some trouble with it. It isn't cycling after firing, or the cycle is weak. I've tried it with SS195LF and SS197, and both have the same problems. The pistol either won't cycle- it recoils but the slide doesn't move enough to eject the empty, or upon a weak ejection it slams shut before the next round is fully chambered.

That said, the problems are most prevalent with the first few rounds in the magazine. I stripped the pistol, scrubbed it clean and lubed it very lightly, and that didn't seem to help much. I lubed it heavier, and that didn't help either. I'm holding the pistol firmly, so I don't think it has anything to do with limp wristing. I have about 100 rounds through the pistol so far.

Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Welcome to the forum

U may just have to have FN take a look at it, unfortunately.

But, how many mags do U have? Does it happen with all of them?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Welcome.

I've never thought of this until now but is it possible to "limp wrist" the FiveseveN? If so then they might be your problem.

·
Registered
636 Posts
tqtran said:
Welcome.

I've never thought of this until now but is it possible to "limp wrist" the FiveseveN? If so then they might be your problem.

+1

yes i think it is limp wrist also......

·
Registered
36 Posts
While it may be a wrist issue I think we should find out what, if any, other pistols the original poster has or has shot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas.

I don't think it's a limp wrist issue. I shot the 5.7 alongside my G23 and 226 in .40, and had no problem with those two.

When the pistol jams, the slide never rocks back enough to eject the empty case. I tap/rack/bang and if the next round ejects it has a very weak ejection, it only sends the cases a few feet out. Ususally for the rest of the magazine, the ejections are forceful and it chucks the empties across the range. I have the 3 original 10-round magazines, and the problem is the same with all. I'm hoping it's a magazine issue, if anything.

Then again, maybe I am limp wristing. I'll clean the pistol and mags thoroughly and get out to the range and see if the problem persists. I guess otherwise, I'll have to call FN.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you know anyone else with a 5.7 that you could borrow a magazine or two from? Have you tried stepping down the number of rounds loaded to see if the problem stops at a certain point? Can you manually cycle the slide through an entire magaize without issue?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went out looking for spare magazines but found none at the local gun stores. I don't know anyone else with a 5.7 around here either.

I'll try underloading the magazines and manually cycling the action the next time I get out to the range.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, FN's customer service is great from what I have heard. I'd give them a call. Ammo isn't cheap to be spending it on a gun with problems - Let them fix it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a dry run with 3 full magazines through the pistol on my lunchbreak, and it seems I have an extractor problem. On several rounds in different locations in each mag, the pistol failed to extract as I cycled the action. I took a look at my spent brass, and found several cases where the extractor obviously failed to grip the case and scraped the rim.

Since the 5.7 is a delayed blowback pistol, if the extractor is failing, it is likely the reason for the other failures.

·
Registered
569 Posts
thirsty said:
I did a dry run with 3 full magazines through the pistol on my lunchbreak, and it seems I have an extractor problem. On several rounds in different locations in each mag, the pistol failed to extract as I cycled the action. I took a look at my spent brass, and found several cases where the extractor obviously failed to grip the case and scraped the rim.

Since the 5.7 is a delayed blowback pistol, if the extractor is failing, it is likely the reason for the other failures.
Have you checked/cleaned the extractor for anything that may be preventing it from functioning properly?
Tomac

1 - 13 of 13 Posts