FN Herstal Firearms banner
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've seen photos of a blown-out FsN (the IOM model) which was firing hot loads by the owner's admission; but he insisted that it wasn't the rounds he loaded, the pistol fired out of battery.

I have also read that this caliber is VERY sensitive to tiny errors on headspace and how well the round is seated, I would not be surprised if it had been a case failure which then blew out the magwell. The same is known to happen with reloaded .40 S&W depending on the handgun model.

I don't blame you for feeling leery, but I feel bad for you if you wasted all that money too.
It's been well established that the FsN is not capable of firing out of battery.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's been well established that the FsN is not capable of firing out of battery.
Yes, exactly, I was just repeating this handloader's claim, not endorsing it. FN disagreed with him too.

Actually it was on this very forum, http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-seven/3765-fn-fiveseven-warning-picture-heavy.html. I wasn't yet a member when first coming across this, I was researching and considering whether or not to purchase a FsN.

Needless to say, I went ahead and did buy the gun, with the mental proviso that I will never handload. (Never have, why start with this round?)

Also needless to say, I hope his surgery went well. I didn't read the thread to the end.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
His original assement was it fired OOB. FNH blew up another gun to show similiar damage occurred because of a double charged handload (NOT EA or anyone else) by owner himself, not OOB. From high quality scientific testing, the slide can move rearward .034" and still set off primer. However at that rearward movement, there is virtually NO seperation of the slide and barrel..

the 28gr JHP round will expand, but only in rare circumstances. It relies on yaw, and the core coming out of the jacket (rare occassions) for wounding...

101 - 105 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.