FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi do we have any Five seveN owners if so whats your thoughts likes/dislikes ( thinking of buying one ) :twisted:

RH

·
Registered
268 Posts
A co-worker and I were interested in buying one as well.
I'm not terribly fond of the price, but at least mags and ammo aren't too hard to find.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive got a ps90 and saving for upgrades.The 20rd mags the 5/7 has is nice (cant never have to much ammo) and the weight would be nice for cc.
From what ive read recoil is less than 9mm.

3 20 rd mags. WOW 60 rds vs 7rds x 3 mags in my kimber. :twisted:

But at 800 to 860 bucks :shock: and 20 bucks a box for ammo I would like to take one to the range or have a review (that i can trust) before I buy.

RH

·
Registered
268 Posts
9mm Luger (115 gr FMJ) has about 2x the recoil of SS195 fired out of the 5.7 pistol, but from the American Rifleman video, the 5.7 pistol still has some decent muzzle jump. If they knocked off at least $200-$300 from the 5.7 pistol, I'd probably buy one because I already have the ammo for the PS90.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have one. I like it. The design is great. And I think the round makes for a perfect pistol cartridge. The sight picture is more open than I'm use to- I don't like that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a USG 5.7mm. Wonderful gun! The cartridge gives no recoil (but a hell of a muzzle flash) and is easily controllable (especially after shooting my wife's .45 Commander.) 20 rounds means that even if you have a little trepedation about the stopping power, you can dunk a couple more in the 10 ring, and do so faster and more reliably than heavier calibers. It's also VERY light -- a pound and 6 oz, IIRC -- lighter than my PPK (but big!)

I've been a 1911 fan most of my life, and was a quick convert to the P99...the FN beats 'em both, IMO.

Go cheap, though -- hit gunbroker.com and you should be able to find one for $800 or so. Well worth the price.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great reply thanks

I will pick one up in a week or so.

RH

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I have a USG (square trigger gaurd) and a IOM (round trigger gaurd) FiveseveN pistol. Great guns. Recoil is more accuretly like 2/3 of a 9mm, not half. As for muzzle flip, I don't really notice any. Its all in the user. You can get a new USG now for $800 at many places. The price isnt really that bad for a gun. I don't see why people complain about the price all the time when you would pay the same price and/or more for a H&K or any 1911 right?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know your right I spent 950 on my kimber and 1600 on my ps90 it all is about do i want it or not and i want one so i will save a few bucks and get one

thanks RH :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
I spent $450 on my Glock 17 and I wouldn't spend over $600 for a handgun (just personal preference).

For the recoil, I was using Guns and Ammo's power factor estimation ([mass of bullet in grains * velocity in ft/s] / 1000 )

9mm Luger in 115 gr FMJ = ~130
SS195 (through pistol) = ~60

·
Registered
873 Posts
My FNP-40 was $468 through a local dealer, and I know I could have found it for less online, but I made a decision to support my local guys instead.

The 5-7 needs to be priced more in line with the FNP before I get one. (And I do want one!) I just cannot see where it costs nearly twice as much to manufacture the 5-7 as the FNP.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
All the way back to 2007 to bring one back from the dead. :-D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Why does someone go on this FN57 forum and ask if anyone has a 57? I guess this is an intro to the real question of just pros/negatives--so just state your question next time. Leaving aside the above "touchy/feely" reply by me, I would venture to say that the majority of the repliers, especially on a 57 forum, will say that the only negative is cost-(firearm and ammunition), which is borne out by almost all of the previous replies. Pros: lightweight, high capacity, lo recoil and high velocity that translates to high accuracy, and high lethality (contrary to what what others may say--if you can kill a wild hog or penetrate body armor with special ammo, you can easily disable/kill a person). What else is there?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Why does someone go on this FN57 forum and ask if anyone has a 57?
You did notice that question was from 2006?

Back then the FsN was a rare bird, most had not seen or heard of one as they had only been released to the public for a short time.

Reactions: tqtran

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
The search function is great but sometimes its just better to start a new post with your question.As old dated posts may have different meaning in the past than it does now.You will also tend to get more feedback and replies as many people would not want to read through pages of posts when they see the first post was from 6 years ago.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi do we have any Five seveN owners if so whats your thoughts likes/dislikes ( thinking of buying one ) :twisted:

RH
The only negatives are cost of both the weapon and the ammo. I lucked out and purchased my fiveseven NIB for $990 at a gun show.

Sent from my EvoLTE so please pardon any typos.

Tools (in order obtained):
Glock 17
GSG 522
DB 380 (sold)
FNH FiveseveN USG
M&P 22 pistol

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Once again that question was from 2006.

Reactions: david black
1 - 20 of 21 Posts