FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to explain my question the best I can. I have a Fiveseven USG. If you look behind the safety lever you can see the engraved words FNH USA Fredericksburg VA not in a border. The newer Fiveseven's have the lettering with a border around it. That is the so you know which version 5.7 I have. So my barrel question applies only to my version. USG. All righty then... Here goes the question

Please look at the end of my barrel. About a 1/4 inch before the end of the barrel there is a small round wire retention clip in place. I noticed on a NEWER USG that on the very end of the barrel in front of the retention clip was a small fitted black collar piece around the end of the barrel. Can someone confirm that this is only on the NEWER USG versions and that mine is not missing that black collar piece on the very front of the barrel. I hope I explained this so you understand my point. Thank you for any help. Mike

Sorry for the blurry pics but I think you can see what I am talking about.[/img]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShipWreck said:
It's still a USG model - with the squared off trigger guard.
ShipWreck, I was hoping you would chime in. My question is about the end of the barrel. Is there a black collar missing from the end of the barrel after the small retention ring? Or am I OK? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I no longer have my Five Seven, so someone who still has theirs can chime in. But from what I remember, it looks fine, but I can't remember for sure.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
uhhh ill take a look at mine in a bit for you but it looks fine to me

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yours looks fine to me, compared to mine. I purchased my five seven in 2005 and my serial number starts with 386xxxxxx so maybe the later ones are different but mine never had a black collar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
horse9640 said:
Yours looks fine to me, compared to mine. I purchased my five seven in 2005 and my serial number starts with 386xxxxxx so maybe the later ones are different but mine never had a black collar.

Thanks man. That eases my mind. I just purchased mine from a collector who never shot it for what I feel is a good price of $775 out the door. My serial number starts the same as yours 386xxxxxx so it puts mine around a 2005 model like yours. I am still going to call Bob at FN and inquire about why they added that collar. I wonder if it stabilizes the barrel in someway. Glad to know MY FIVESEVEN isn't missing anything that should be there. It appears that this collar is something added to the newer models. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
J Z06 said:

i replied via pm previously by the way. Jay
Got it Jay. Looks exactly like mine. We must have an older version USG. This just verifies that FN has upgraded their barrels on the newer USGs with some kind of black collar piece at the end of the barrel. I will find out what it does for the pistol Monday and report back here with info. Thanks , Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello,

New to this forum...just purchased my 5-7 a few days ago...will be getting her next week :?

I could be wrong though...bad camera phone pix...will post better pix when i get her...

but to pitch in...i took some photos, and i noticed mine does have the black ring at the muzzle end (i think)...newer model? Serial #3868XXXXXX

what's it for anyway?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
GT1R390 said:
BTW anyone know how to subscribe to each topic? can't seem to find it anywhere...finally got my 57...i'll post pics soon.

-GT
Under the response box (as you type your response) - there is a check box to click to be notified of future responses to the thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GT1R390 said:
Hello,

New to this forum...just purchased my 5-7 a few days ago...will be getting her next week :?

I could be wrong though...bad camera phone pix...will post better pix when i get her...

but to pitch in...i took some photos, and i noticed mine does have the black ring at the muzzle end (i think)...newer model? Serial #3868XXXXXX

what's it for anyway?
I could not get a clear answer from Bob at FN about the black colar at the end of the barrel. But it appears that the newer models have the black colar starting around 2005. He doesn't think it serves any purpose either. Simply cosmetic. I have not given up on finding out and hopefully will get an answer eventually. Bob is one of the coolest guys I have ever had the pleasure of chatting with. HTH , Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts