FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy I know about good cc guns and he brought up that'd it'd be awesome if they made a fiveseven compact. I think that would be really sweet if FN made one. Would the round still be effective with an even shorter barrel? This is all hypothetically speaking but if it's a viable concept , hopefully an FN rep will see this and pass the word

·
Registered
10 Posts
So long as it was a high speed round I could see it being viable. Otherwise I think it would be more of a problem than a convenience to itself

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
I was talking to a guy I know about good cc guns and he brought up that'd it'd be awesome if they made a fiveseven compact. I think that would be really sweet if FN made one. Would the round still be effective with an even shorter barrel? This is all hypothetically speaking but if it's a viable concept , hopefully an FN rep will see this and pass the word
As FN has said many many times in the past, the pistol is as small as it's going to be.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a bummer. Who knows, maybe in the future some engineer will figure out a solution. Until then, it'll just have to be a cold weather cc

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, shorter barrel on a 5.7 means less FPS on the round, 4.8" is pretty short for a round like the 5.7x28 so Id think any shorter and itd be a real loss in terms of energy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If they could make a 5 7 with a shorter barrel and retain its terminal effectiveness it would have been done already. I am sure all the calculations show the shortest effective barrel length is the length on the current 5 7. So I doubt a shorter barrel would be desirable. I prefer to carry full size guns anyway as I shoot them much better.

I live in South Florida and wear shorts, t shirts, and flip flops 365 days a year. I have no problem concealing the 5 7 in a quality IWB holster and carry belt. Not a department store belt, but a true carry belt. I use the Tucker Gunleather Cover Up Plus and the Tucker Basic Carry Belt. I carry several full size guns that are in my rotation and I never have a prblem concealing them. I am not a huge guy either. The 5 7 is so light, it is real easy to conceal.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What kind of clothes do you wear, and what kind of printing are you concerned about? General walking? Bending over?
Tshirt and jeans. I don't wear baggy clothes so printing in general and bending over is of concern. The only comfortable place for me to carry IWB with any gun is behind my wallet

·
Registered
99 Posts
it's very hard to carry in tight (form fitting) T-shirt and jeans unless you're willing to wear a button down short sleeve shirt over it to hide the gun better.
I live in AZ, and it's either shorts and t-shirts/flip flops like my Florida friend...or in the winter,sometimes jeans, t-shirt and/or other type of shirt.
THE best concealed carry (that you can actually GET TO AND USE quickly) for any style dress...in MY OPINION only...is to use a pocket carry. I can carry either a Kahr CW9 or a S&W 3" 38 with shrouded hammer...in my front pocket in a specific pocket holster that stays in your pocket as you draw the weapon! This is key. The holster prevents printing...and even in fairly snug jeans, you can access the gun quickly and it doesn't print. it might look like you have your wallet in your front pocket or something,but it doesn't scream "GUN" to anyone. I use this same carry if I'm in dress pants for some outing or something. Frankly, I prefer the S&W as it's slimmer and it's one of those ultra-light models. I throw 1-2 speed strips in another pocket and I've got 15 rounds with me. I'd take a 38+P round in JHP anyday for personal protection (we're talking shots of 7 yards or less) and the shrouded hammer allows me (after first snap shot on double action) to get repeatable shots with very, very light trigger pull. I know it's old-school....but I'd take that round over a .380 or some other crap any day...and if true concealment is your primary purpose...then you should take a look at this method of carry. Served me well for many, many years...and I'd match my draw time/speed with any other method of concealed carry.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I live in South Florida and carry a full sized gun daily. My Five Seven, a Glock 17, or one of several S&W L Frame 2.5" or 3" 357 7 or 8 shot revolvers. I wear shorts everyday. On top I wear a white Hanes Tank Top undershirt and a short sleeve button up shirt on top of the tank. The shirt is usually unbuttoned or just a few buttons buttoned up. You can hide anything with that set up.

Sometimes I just wear a regular t shirt as well, just not too tight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts