FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well to start, today I dropped my fns and now there's a scuff mark on the back of the gun and it irritates me to know that its there. However This has only pushed me to have it hydro dipped which I planned on anyway but not so soon as my toy money is tied up in building a utilitarian ak47.
My questions are, how many people have hydro dipped their guns not only the fsn but any at all?
How far do I need to strip my gun down? do I need to remove the levers and trigger assembly (I hope not)
any input will be appreciated hell even suggestions for a film pattern would be cool, filmpatterns.com is what the guy has mostly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also can anyone point me in the direction of lever removal threads, I found a good one on the safety lever but still looking for the rest of the levers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dip

Ok well to start, today I dropped my fns and now there's a scuff mark on the back of the gun and it irritates me to know that its there. However This has only pushed me to have it hydro dipped which I planned on anyway but not so soon as my toy money is tied up in building a utilitarian ak47.
My questions are, how many people have hydro dipped their guns not only the fsn but any at all?
How far do I need to strip my gun down? do I need to remove the levers and trigger assembly (I hope not)
any input will be appreciated hell even suggestions for a film pattern would be cool, filmpatterns.com is what the guy has mostly.
I dipped my Benelli SBE, they told me to leave the gun whole so that it was in working condition. They did the disassemble/reassemble.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dipped my Benelli SBE, they told me to leave the gun whole so that it was in working condition. They did the disassemble/reassemble.
what about behind the safety and levers, I would think those would need to be removed so they can be coated behind them. I am not having a problem removing all my levers except for the slide lock lever. I can not find any info on its removal.
can anyone point me in the direction of some help for that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the guy doing my dipping does not have experience with the fiveseven so he requested to have the levers removed, also I wanted to install black levers at the same time but im having a hard time finding them. It would also be nice if someone could point me in the direction of those also, I have done a search but have turned up nothing. If I cant find them I my get my levers dipped to match.

if anyone is wondering what dip im doing its the kryptek typhon flat finish black based.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Remove the slide release by simply prying it off. Some may have used vice grips to pull it off, others a slim jewelers flat screwdriver to push it off. It is on there fairly tight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove the slide release by simply prying it off. Some may have used vice grips to pull it off, others a slim jewelers flat screwdriver to push it off. It is on there fairly tight.
thanks fd, I used 2 jewelers flat heads and popped it off, I was scared I was going to break it at first. I have everything removed now except the safety levers and that's only because I don't have a 5/64th roll pin punch. I have went several places tonight in town to find one and to my luck couldn't find one. Soon as I get them removed ill be taking it to get it dipped. I'm going to call fn usa Monday and see if I can get all black lever replacements for it, if not I may just dip them separately or duracoat them.

I also have another question, is the trigger pack in the back of the gun on the lower held together by the pins or is it a modular piece. I was wondering what would happen if i removed the 2 pins to pull all of that out, would it fly apart? It doesn't appear like it would but then again I would rather ask before I do and be sorry lol.

thanks everyone in advance for your help.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I also have another question, is the trigger pack in the back of the gun on the lower held together by the pins or is it a modular piece. I was wondering what would happen if i removed the 2 pins to pull all of that out, would it fly apart? It doesn't appear like it would but then again I would rather ask before I do and be sorry lol.

thanks everyone in advance for your help.
You want to remove the trigger assembly or the hammer assembly? To remove the trigger you first remove the hammer assembly. Then you drive the parallel pin out left to right and that frees the trigger assembly. Removing the hammer assembly is a little more involved as you have to:
- lift up the slide latch spring just a tiny bit to disengage it from the rear slide guide pin
- while you've got the slide latch spring raised drive the pin from right to left only far enough so that it is flush with the frame (now you can release the slide latch spring)
- drive the rear slide guide pin right to left from the frame and hold your hammer assembly while you do this (now your hammer assembly is free from the lower receiver)

CAUTION: Take photos and or video before you do anything, while you're mucking about, and refer to them when it comes time to put things back together.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You want to remove the trigger assembly or the hammer assembly? To remove the trigger you first remove the hammer assembly. Then you drive the parallel pin out left to right and that frees the trigger assembly. Removing the hammer assembly is a little more involved as you have to:
- lift up the slide latch spring just a tiny bit to disengage it from the rear slide guide pin
- while you've got the slide latch spring raised drive the pin from right to left only far enough so that it is flush with the frame (now you can release the slide latch spring)
- drive the rear slide guide pin right to left from the frame and hold your hammer assembly while you do this (now your hammer assembly is free from the lower receiver)

CAUTION: Take photos and or video before you do anything, while you're mucking about, and refer to them when it comes time to put things back together.
yea I see what you mean, I think ill leave the hammer and trigger assembly in for the dipping process unless you have any ideas on why I shouldn't. I really dont see what it could harm, we are going to tape off the pins left in the frame. I also installed a wooden dowel to wedge the trigger assembly to the pressed position so its more open to flow the print around the trigger, I may also tape off the trigger too as I am really unsure of how durable the coating is.

As for pins and punches I have a set of starret punches and my father in law gave me a set of snap on roll pin punches so everything is removed now. The only thing that sucks is i broke my right side safety lever surprisingly easy, I think it was cracked to begin with. The reason for me dipping is I dropped my gun and scuffed the polymer so that may be the reason why it broke. Now I need to find some black levers :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is the coating im doing, it will be in a matte finish.

here is a ksg done like what im going for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone have any grey safety switches they want to sell me? I broke my right side lever. I think it was cracked to begin with as it took nothing to break it. I was going to order black ones anyway but I was going to attempt the rit dye method also and see how that works.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Head over to MidwestGunWorks and invest in a backup trigger. That way you can dip yours and if the dip wears you've got another new trigger to drop in.

And invest in grey controls also at MidwestGunWorks and prime and paint them black, or leave grey.

RIT DYE did NOT work for us on a test. Plastic primer in spray can and black spray paint has worked just fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I wanted to order one with my new roll pin but they are out of stock on the right side lever. :sad:

I was hoping if anyone else here as done the conversion and had the grey controls laying around would sell one or all of them.

oh and i was thinking with the way ammo quantity's and prices are going i doubt i'm going to wear off the paint on my trigger lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well looks like its going to be a little while, my choice of print is on a 30 day back order. Seems like everything I want is on a back order lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts