FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
11,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the magazine catch spring on order for some time now and finally received it. It is the new model FiveseveN magazine catch release, which replaces both the magazine catch (even the new aluminum one) and the retaining spring.

Here is the picture of the new aluminum catch and retaining spring. Note the part number: 4115918

DSCN1549.jpg

You can see the old aluminum magazine catch and spring installed in the FiveseveN below.

DSCN1555.jpg

The old vs new magazine catch. Note the internal differences between the two catches. The notching is on both sides and is smaller than that shown above it.

DSCN1558.jpg DSCN1559.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After you remove the old magazine catch spring and magazine catch, you can reverse the procedure and install the new set up. Installing the spring is relatively easy but to seat the spring after you have installed the new catch release, you will need to pull the trigger on the pistol to allow the canted end of the spring to sit properly. This is the only way to install this spring as seen here.

DSCN1562.jpg DSCN1561.jpg

Completed installation.

DSCN1560.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,527 Posts
Thanks HK, I wasn't aware there was a new catch/spring. Guess I'll give parts a call tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,527 Posts
I have a metal mag release, but the old style spring. Is it still worth doing? I'm under the assumption it is pretty inexpensive...hopefully.

·
Administrator
11,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cost was about $38 plus shipping.

You are going to have to decide whether it is necessary or not. I had to do it because I over stressed my retention spring when I changed out to the first aluminum catch but I was waiting for a better alternative.

It is sold as a set, the mag release catch and the spring. The spring is not available by itself as you need the new catch to use the spring.

Read these:

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-seven/28391-mag-catch-spring-popped-out.html

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-seven/24730-mag-release-failure.html

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-seven/12915-fn-five-seven-5-7x28mm-magazine-release-problem.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine catch spring failed in early '10 at the most inopportune moment...during an NRA class where i was demonstrating a live fire exercise and the 5.7's magazine just fell out without warning and with the magazine laying on the ground, catch spring nowhere to be seen, and the release just dangling, the firearm was useless!!

so as HK stated tony44, you can decide if it is necessary effort, but trust me when the spring decides it will fail and you are in the middle of a self defense situation...hindsight might be too late!!

FYI, it was off this site i got the information on who to contact at FNH USA who took care of my situation personally and i was back in business within a day!!

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
I'm glad FN has addressed this, because the early arrangement is stupid.
It was addressed with the first version of the metal release.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Are they putting this new spring and catch into production? I got my 57 last month and it has the smaller spring but my test fire round was from a year ago.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It was addressed with the first version of the metal release.
Obviously they thought it was still not fixed right, and i agree...mine came with a metal mag release, and i've still had the spring pop out if a bullet was seated too far forward in the mag and inserted with gusto.

This new arrangement looks a lot more robust to me.

Call 1-800-635-1321 and ask.
Is that your way of saying "I don't know" ? lol...

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Is that your way of saying "I don't know" ? lol...
I don't make the pistols or sell them.

If he wants an answer to if the newer version is going to into production guns he needs to call the factory and ask, and they may not know as they are imported.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I hope he does, and reposts the info here. That would be nice to know.

FN has already said they're coming out with a revised/refined Five SeveN. It would be nice if this upgrade was part of the package.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was given the impression by my lgs that if your 5.7 was in for any service they went ahead and changed these parts out as well..not sure if that's accurate or not... Both Browning repair and Midwest Gun are in my back yard....I'm hoping I can just pick up the parts locally instead of ordering them...guess I'll see.

·
Premium Member
9,527 Posts
I received my updated spring/mag catch today. The mag catch I received is plastic. It is the new design. I'm a little puzzled...

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
It should be metal.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts