FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been admiring the FiveSeven from afar for a couple years now... but I just got my NFA trust established so I'm now also considering a PS90 now that I can SBR it.

Just curious if any of you have both platforms and can comment on which you prefer. I honestly don't see the FiveSeven becoming a carry handgun and more for range fun which is what makes this a difficult decision since the PS90 also looks like mad fun.
Then on the topic of pricing... they're both really damn close on pricing if I get them off Gunbroker... which kinda amazes me since the FiveSeven seems like it should run quite a bit lower than a PS90.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Both! :lol:

Seriously, if you get one, the 5.7 addiction will lead to the other!! :th_laughing:

But if you are considering SBR'ing the PS90, then I would go ahead and get it first. You never know if the idiots in DC will try and shut down the 'Trust' avenue to NFA items......

I honestly don't see the FiveSeven becoming a carry handgun
If I lived in an open carry state, that is the one I would use. At least I'm in a concealed carry state, but it is too big for CC.

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
I also gotta go with the "both" option. They make a great duo. Also, if you get one...you'll probably end up with the other. It happened to me. I picked up the Five-seveN, two months later the PS90 came along. If you SBR the PS90 it just makes it all the more awesome...like extra fancy ketchup.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think I'll be seriously looking into the PS90 first then...
Right now, the cheapest PS 90s on Gunbroker are $1,049.95 bid and $1,075.00 buy out. I just bought one yesterday and picked it up today, as the place is local. The seller has about 6 more for sale and I got mine for min bid with 23 min left on the auction. Those others have no bids as well, so you may get it at min price as well.

NOTE* I'm in no way affiliated with this seller. Just a happy customer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks fellas. I'll definitely be going with the PS90 before the FiveSeven now.
Not going to lie, I was almost positive I'd be getting the new CZ Scorpion Evo 3 until this week when I noticed the PS90 prices. I unfortunately can't get both right now so I'm going to have to make a hard decision to go with either the PS90 or the Scorpion. :|

I have a feeling I know which way you guys are gonna suggest though lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What is everyone referring to when you talk about "SBR"-ing it.
I know SBR = Short Barrel Rifle; NFA = National Firearms Act
Are you talking about changing the barrel length to something else?
PS 90s come with a 16 inch barrel. Folks normally SBR them to 10.4 inches.

And welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say buy the ps90 first, the price of it is astoundingly effected as compared to the pistol. My FiveseveN cost me 200$ over msrp when I got it 2 years ago and I picked up my ps90 at a local gun show NIB last week for $1000 before tax. That's about $200 under msrp I believe.

·
Registered
507 Posts
For years I have admired both the pistol and rifle. Two weeks ago I finally bought the pistol. I absolutely love it. It is a brilliantly engineered gun designed to fire a brilliantly engineered round.

The pistol itself has no exposed metal, so you don't have to worry about ruining or wearing the finish. It is insanely light for a full-sized pistol.

As far as the ammo, for home or self defense it is about perfect. You don't have to worry about over-penetration. The fast moving bullet designed to tumble on impact does significant damage and can quickly incapacitate an attacker. You get 21 rounds in one loading and can easily carry a spare mag giving you 41 rounds on hand.

I have been thinking I would pick up a PS90 as well. Especially because they can be had for $1K these days. Other than 2 22lr target pistols I built (Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions parts and run suppressed), I don't buy guns just for range toys. All the handguns I own, I actually carry. All of the rifles I own fill a defensive niche for me. I have a suppressed 300BLK SBR and LWRC UCIW in 5.56 that cover the PDW niche for me and both fire a true rifle round.

After much thought and research, I have decided the 5.7x28 round is really a pistol round in terms of terminal ballistics. 5.7x28 is not fast or heavy enough to be a true combat rifle round. Since I have the PDW niche well covered with weapons that fire rifle rounds, I just don't see the purpose of the PS90 for me. I really don't need a pistol caliber carbine, especially one that fires ammo that is expensive.

If I was to get into a pistol caliber carbine, it would be a 9mm because ammo cost is very reasonable. Even then, it would be a range toy because my 300BLK and 5.56 SBRs would weigh the same and be the same size, but fire a combat rifle round.

My LWRC UCIW 5.56 weighs about 6 lbs and is 26" with the stock fully expanded. Same size as the PS90.

You might say you should SBR the PS90. It seems to me you lose too much velocity when you do that, and you basically have the same performance you get from the 5 7 pistol. I think I will just stick with the pistol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts