FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on the magazine safety disconnect delete and found my hammer will not reset due to the springs on the side not being correctly installed. I must have dislodged them when I was removing the bar completely. Anyway I think I am not alone but searched and did not find any good pictures or write ups. Can anyone give some help? Please. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will post one when my son comes home. My problem is the assembly that includes the hammer and sear. I believe it is only the sear spring itself that I cannot determine exactly where the spring is suppose to be lodged against in order for it to maintain tension. Greatly appreciate the response. Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually need a picture of that rear assembly outside the receiver. I took out that assembly and now the trigger would not reset after being depressed. Wish my son was here to post a picture but he is at "the girl friends"! The springs on the right side that reset the hammer/sear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been actively "fiddling" and I think I have got it. What I did was, I placed that rear assembly in the proper location with the trigger bar PRIOR to placing the assembly back in the frame. It seems that the spring that I was having an issue with is not located against anything once removed from the frame. Once the assembly goes back into the frame the spring butts up against part of the frame and as it is pushed back into the position to align with the 2nd pin from the rear, the pressure is exerted against the spring. At least I hope. Seems to be functioning properly. The hammer is resetting as I work the slide. I really appreciate the help and I will pull it back apart and still post some pictures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice write up and I was following this information to the best of my ability.

Now I must pursue finding out if the Original 57 Tactical model had the same trigger bar as the IOM and the USG which have the magazine safety disconnect. The trigger bar has a circular spring in the front which causes force upward. The safety bar which is the flat spring running parallel causes downward pressure at he rear of the trigger bar. I just learned this.

I found now that with removal of the safety bar my trigger has a dead spot or delay until it reaches the point where it can be depressed and cause it to break and release the hammer.

Wondering IF the trigger bar from the original tactical would work? Resolve the difference?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Now I must pursue finding out if the Original 57 Tactical model had the same trigger bar as the IOM and the USG which have the magazine safety disconnect.
As soon as I can get on my other computer I will compare the armorer's manuals for the models and let you know.

Reactions: Username9875

·
Registered
72 Posts
Glad you got your gun back together and working again.

Question to anyone on here why remove the mag safety in the first place? I have seen other posts when non mechanical persons do this mod and damage something, get poor mag release pressure & now more slop/take up in the trigger? The only advantage I can see is a very slight improvement to the trigger pull weight, but noting some range time can't fix.

Let me know if I'm missing something and hope this doesn't come out wrong, as I'm just trying to figure out why to do this mod?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
If it's a duty weapon being able to fire the pistol with the mag removed could save your life. Same would apply if it's used for self defense.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually do not like depending on that little protruding piece of plastic on the side of the magazine to ensure my pistol will fire. Additionally my duty sidearm was a Glock which do not have this additional feature. IMO training is the best prevention of "accidental" dischages NOT more safety mechanics.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I totally agree with the training part just not the problems I have read about with the mag release defeat causes to the spring pressure & slop in the trigger.

The only company I'm aware that knows how to properly do this conversion along with their Accurizing is EA. I'm keeping mine as is for now unless I buy a second MKII & send it off to EA for the full upgrades and evaluate for myself the difference.

Is your trigger take up still an issue or has that been resolved? Also do your mags release with the exact some force as before the safety defeat or is it weaker?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts