FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

Horrible encounter aside, I want to know one thing: How does Maryland law enforcement know that a Florida man owns a gun?!? Is the FL CCW printed on the drivers license?

Finally the patrol car’s emergency lights come on, and it’s almost a relief. Whatever was going on, they’d be able to get it over with now. The officer — from the Transportation Authority Police, as it turns out, Maryland’s version of the New York-New Jersey Port Authority — strolls up, does the license and registration bit, and returns to his car.

According to Kally and John (but not MTAP, which, pending investigation, could not comment), what happened next went like this:

Ten minutes later he’s back, and he wants John out of the Expedition. Retreating to the space between the SUV and the unmarked car, the officer orders John to hook his thumbs behind his back and spread his feet. “You own a gun,” the officer says. “Where is it?”

“At home in my safe,” John answers.

“Don’t move,” says the officer.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Horrible encounter aside, I want to know one thing: How does Maryland law enforcement know that a Florida man owns a gun?!? Is the FL CCW printed on the drivers license?
Nope we're issued a completely separate ID card for the CCW. Unless it's hidden on there, and it was never explained to me there should be nothing on the driver's license regarding having a concealed carry.

Reactions: monsterdog

·
Registered
454 Posts
I hope something down right terrible happens to that MTAP cop.

That said I too want to know how he knew of the ownership.

·
Registered
216 Posts
the fla CWFL is not connected to or with ANY motor vehicle database. It would never come up during a traffic stop to the cop who ran the D/L or the plates that the person they are dealing with has a CWFL. there is something more to this story

Reactions: monsterdog

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess maybe he handed over his CCW along with his other IDs, or flashed it briefly while pulling the rest out of his wallet.

The only other things I can readily think of are that the cop guessed (as xslice suggested) or called this man's local law enforcement to ask if he had a CCW. Or that there is a national CCW holder database of some sort. The latter would be quite the backdoor gun registry.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Probably the same would happen with someone passing through with TX plates. LEO's in commie states automatically assume those from the free states are packing.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I'm guessing the guy probably had some pro-gun stickers in the back of his car.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Well, I guess maybe he handed over his CCW along with his other IDs, or flashed it briefly while pulling the rest out of his wallet.

The only other things I can readily think of are that the cop guessed (as xslice suggested) or called this man's local law enforcement to ask if he had a CCW. Or that there is a national CCW holder database of some sort. The latter would be quite the backdoor gun registry.
I honestly doubt he "knew" he had a gun. I wonder if there was a bumper sticker on his car? or stickers? For that matter, as mentioned in a thread about how to keep your rights when coming in contact with police, the police officer is within his rights to lie or intimidate or assume verbally. If he said "Where's your gun" to anyone, he is fishing for an answer, which is within his rights as a police officer. The man would be better off stating, as mentioned earlier, "I respectfully decline to answer that question" or "What gun?". Sadly....incredibly sadly.... I don't know if the officers did anything against the law. A$$hats. Yes. Immoral Yes. Against the law.... not from what I've seen. Of course, please note i'm not a lawyer. It is for reasons like this that I avoid any unnecessary trips into the Fascist-States of America and only stay in the Free-States of America.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Man, call me tin hatty or what-not but I sincerely hope that LEO do not have back door access to federal form 4473 info. Who am I kidding, of course they do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have not seen that type of data come up when running out of state drivers ever. Has to be something else here that he was tipped off from. Still no reason to search the vehicle without a criminal act. This is why there is such a national disconnect from the coasts and the rest of the nation in law enforcement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts